or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My water is frozen!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My water is frozen!

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Grrrrrrrrr! It got really cold here on Sunday and while I left the water trickling, it apparently was not enough and my water froze This happens at least once every winter, I live in a trailer and the water come up from a hole in the gorund beneath the trailer and it is fairly exposed to the elements. This time I cannot get it unfrozen and it really sucks not having running water Can I please have some melting vibes? I'm home from work today to try to get it flowing again, I can't go on like this much longer!
post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
Grrrrrrrrr! It got really cold here on Sunday and while I left the water trickling, it apparently was not enough and my water froze This happens at least once every winter, I live in a trailer and the water come up from a hole in the gorund beneath the trailer and it is fairly exposed to the elements. This time I cannot get it unfrozen and it really sucks not having running water Can I please have some melting vibes? I'm home from work today to try to get it flowing again, I can't go on like this much longer!
We are supposed to get slammed with a major snow storm today hon. If you can't get your water running you may have to run out and buy a heater for your pipes.

that the ice melts.
post #3 of 33
I feel your pain, we battle that as well. Have you tried a blow dryer?
THAW vibes coming your way.
post #4 of 33
Thread Starter 
yeah, that's why I figured I better try a little harder to get it going, I have a space heater out there, might go out with my hair dryer for a few minutes
post #5 of 33
Oh no Katie!! Water melting vibes heading your way!
post #6 of 33
sounds liek a stay at home in case the water line breaks.

GOOOD luck !!!!!
post #7 of 33
Oh no, Katie! I hope your pipes unfreeze!
post #8 of 33
I too would suggest a hair dryer!! Can you go to a hardware store or home depot/lowes and buy the foam tubes that you can put around pipes?? You need to know the size of the pipe though. They can be cut to fit!!
post #9 of 33
We used to have this happen frequently when I was a kid on the farm. My dad just fired up the blowtorch and thawed everything out first thing in the morning.
post #10 of 33
Sending lots of vibes that the water melts quickly!
post #11 of 33
I hope your pipes don't burst
Hope you can get it fixed soon
post #12 of 33
Yikes! I hope you get it fixed quickly!
post #13 of 33
Mine too! This is the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks that I couldn't use my kitchen sink because of frozen pipes. Usually when the pipes are frozen and we run our hot water for an hour or so is enough to thaw the pipes, but apparently the last 3 times has been really bad. The people on the 2nd floor below me have been getting flooded because of frozen pipes and I guess the pipe cracking and water from all of us upstairs backing up.

I heard banging and drilling for a few hours last evening so I guess it's fixed...again! It's supposed to be really cold for the next several days, so I have no doubt they will freeze again
post #14 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone, still no water flowage I went out for about 10 minutes with the hair dryer, but it's cold out there! still have the space heater going

and its not exactly my pipes, if I'm not mistaken all the pipes are plastic here (blowtorch would not be a good idea ) it's that the hole in the ground has frozen!
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
and its not exactly my pipes, if I'm not mistaken all the pipes are plastic here (blowtorch would not be a good idea ) it's that the hole in the ground has frozen!
Good point!

Our pipes were copper back on the farm.
post #16 of 33
Here are some links on thawing frozen pipes, and some preventative measures to reduce the risk of it recurring.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ter_pipes.html

http://www.essortment.com/home/thawfrozenwate_sbwg.htm
post #17 of 33
OMG, Katie! Our inside pipes are in part plastic, but the line from the outside is metal. I hope you get it straightened out soon.
post #18 of 33
Lots of }}}}}}}}}}}}THAW{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
post #19 of 33
Oy! We've had that happen here enough times for me too. Our pipes are wrapped with foam and there is an electrical wire around them to help it stay warm too. We've been able to thaw ours by aiming a space heater right at the elbow joint of it where it comes out of the ground. I've also seen people pay the water company to bring out big heater things to melt it.

Hope you get it fixed soon! I know it's a major pain in the butt!
post #20 of 33
Did you get them thawed?
post #21 of 33
DH says to get some heat tape and wrap the pipes under the house.

Open the doors under the sink and put a space heater in front and turn on high to warm the pipes. He's not sure which ones are frozen. He says you may be looking at a broken pipe soon if you can't get them warmed up.

Open the door to bathroom and let the heat flow in there.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
Did you get them thawed?
I hope you gotten it fixed by now!
post #23 of 33
Oh no, I hope they are thawed by now!

Sending so many melting vibes
post #24 of 33
Thread Starter 
I did get it unthawed! I had just called my dad and my uncle to see if they had any ideas as I had the space heater and hair dryer going all day with no luck and then at about 5:30- WATER started pouring out of my faucets!!! I had left the hair dryer blasting in the hole in the ground for longer than I had all day and that is what did the trick I guess. What a pain in the rear! I will definitely not forget to run the water at stronger than a dribble next time it gets cold. Thanks for the vibes everyone
post #25 of 33
Glad you're thawed, Katie!!
post #26 of 33
Running water YAY!
I've never had my pipes freeze but I do remember the ice storm and lugging 40 gallon containers of water from the fire station for 3 weeks. Not fun.
We take for granted the common conveneinces.
post #27 of 33
Yay! Glad your water is back!

That happened to me when I had a live in job at a riding school. 2 weeks with no running water in my caravan and my boss had a big 3 bedroom farmhouse next door but she would only let me in every other day for a shower! and gave me the manky, furry green water carrier from the horse lorry to use for drinking complete with stale `several month old` water
post #28 of 33
Glad you have water back Katie
post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
Glad you're thawed, Katie!!
I think it was your hot pink vibes that did the trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005 View Post
Running water YAY!
I've never had my pipes freeze but I do remember the ice storm and lugging 40 gallon containers of water from the fire station for 3 weeks. Not fun.
We take for granted the common conveneinces.
you said it Rhonda, 2 days without running water makes me very glad I live in the 21st century
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
Yay! Glad your water is back!

That happened to me when I had a live in job at a riding school. 2 weeks with no running water in my caravan and my boss had a big 3 bedroom farmhouse next door but she would only let me in every other day for a shower! and gave me the manky, furry green water carrier from the horse lorry to use for drinking complete with stale `several month old` water
ewwww ,that is so disgusting, Linny!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Glad you have water back Katie
Thanks, Nat, so am I, so am I!!!!!
post #30 of 33
Take a nice hot shower right away?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My water is frozen!