Get off that reptile tank!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a new lid to my reptile tank, which will support chesters weight (14lbs) and he's figured it out...now both he and Dynah are up there OFTEN! I've been keeping them off when I'm around, but I can't do anything while I'm out....any thoughts on how to keep them off? I'm not ok with it.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you could always try moving the tank up onto a high ledge, or put something ontop of it so they would be unable to get up?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a possibility he could get the lid open, or are you just worried about the weight of 2 cats? Or, do your pets get air through the top? That would cause a problem with two cats laying on their air supply.

You could try boundary spray. It stinks, but it does keep my cats away from things. It does have to be applied every day until they lose interest in the area. It's non-toxic to cats and dogs, so it should be safe for reptiles too, but check and make sure. What kind of reptiles are they?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's a leopard gecko. I thought about applying tape (sticky side up) or an old car mat (pointy side up) to the top of the tank, but I'm worried about the air getting caught in there and the heat going up too high.
I'm worried about them being up there because I don't really want a bunch of cat fur in the tank, I'm worried the gecko will get over stressed, this isn't a habit I want to support as I move towards moving in with a guy who has a few lizards, and even though the top can support chester now, it doesn't mean it always will....he's not allowed to eat my other pets

So yeah, the tank is on top of a bookcase and what they're doing is jumping from my desk (next to it) to the top of the bookcase. I can't move either items because my apartment JUST fits what I have...like a jigsaw puzzle
hummmmm *thinking*

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strategically placed magazines work wonders. Place them hanging 1/3 - 1/2 off a shelf, whenever a cat tries to jump on to the shelf they land on the magazines which give out from under them. Cat goes tumbling down. Usually gets point across after the second or third fall - depending on the cat.
You can also try a few empty pop cans around the edge of a shelf, the noise from those being knocked down is a good deterrent.

Look for some cheap metal lid locks if you don't have a couple of them already. I occasionally have problems getting them off so there's no hope that a cat can.

You can also use solid paper or some of the decorative aquarium backing to put around three sides - so the cats can't sit next to the cage and watch through the sides.
Remember to be consistent in making them get down and telling them no, try to discourage the cats from even staring at the gecko cage from the floor. ...I've been able to teach cats that geckos are off limits, but not the counter tops.

No chemicals. Reptiles are a lot like birds in their sensitivities to chemical fumes - this includes candles and air fresheners too. It does not take much to mess up their nervous systems so it's better not to risk it. If you want something that is stinky to cats to use as a deterrent, you may be able to set some orange peels next to the cage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wasn't going to touch chemicals...I had a feeling that it might be harmful.

I tried putting tape up there after I caught one of them red handed (post bedtime). this morning the tape was all balled up, so I guess one of them got themselves into a sticky situation
can't really do that one often though, cuz I used a lot of tape and it's only really good for one jump.
I also tried putting the squirt bottle right in front of their access point, in hopes that they'd associate the bottle with "no!" but I guess that didn't work.

I'll try discouraging them looking at it too, although that's going to be a tough one...they do love to sit in the cat tree (across the room) and watch the tank. Just kind of worried that they'll think I'm saying no to their tree.

Somehow they're not so concerned with my counters, occasionally I have to get one down, but not often at all. Everywhere else though, that's another story!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pencils.... I did a combo of these, on top of a fishtank, some sticking 1/2 - 3/4 way off outward on all sides of the top and some on top of the tank. They fall off when the cat jumps and are uncomfortable to sit on. Also, double sided tape in strips might work as well.

Art

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Strategically placed magazines work wonders. Place them hanging 1/3 - 1/2 off a shelf, whenever a cat tries to jump on to the shelf they land on the magazines which give out from under them. Cat goes tumbling down. Usually gets point across after the second or third fall - depending on the cat.
You can also try a few empty pop cans around the edge of a shelf, the noise from those being knocked down is a good deterrent.

Look for some cheap metal lid locks if you don't have a couple of them already. I occasionally have problems getting them off so there's no hope that a cat can.

You can also use solid paper or some of the decorative aquarium backing to put around three sides - so the cats can't sit next to the cage and watch through the sides.
Remember to be consistent in making them get down and telling them no, try to discourage the cats from even staring at the gecko cage from the floor. ...I've been able to teach cats that geckos are off limits, but not the counter tops.

No chemicals. Reptiles are a lot like birds in their sensitivities to chemical fumes - this includes candles and air fresheners too. It does not take much to mess up their nervous systems so it's better not to risk it. If you want something that is stinky to cats to use as a deterrent, you may be able to set some orange peels next to the cage.
Those are some GREAT ideas!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll use the magazine one myself!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I also tried putting the squirt bottle right in front of their access point, in hopes that they'd associate the bottle with "no!" but I guess that didn't work.
I've tried that too!!!! You're right......It doesn't work