Ran (1985) & Dirty Pretty Things (2002)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a movie weekend in good old NE Ohio. What else am I supposed to do when it's -10 with wind chill?

Ran: http://imdb.com/title/tt0089881/
Do you like epic films? I mean do you LOVE epic films? How did you feel about LoTRs? Saving Private Ryan? Braveheart? If you said: THEY ARE THE BEST MOVIES IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE I WANT TO SEE MORE! Rent Ran. If not, don't bother. Ran is one of Akira Kurosawa's last films, so he's decided to take on some of the best literature in the world, King Lear. Now, if one has never seen a Kurosawa film in the past... stop. Don't watch this first. Rent Seven Samurai, take a break, and pop this one in. It will be so much more satisfying. My favorite thing about this director is that he's totally heartless when it comes to sets. He built a castle for over a million dollars and then burned it to the ground.

Dirty Pretty Things (2002)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0301199/
I am a HUGE Audrey Tautou fan. So much so I suffered through The Da Vinci Code just to see her in an English language production. She shines in this film even though the script isn't the best. Set in England this film tells the story of "the people you don't see", mostly illegal aliens that do work under the table for greedy men and women. It tells the tale of how some of them obtain new identifies, and what price they are wiling to pay for that. Even though the script is predictable the producer and director were wise enough to pull in really good talent. It's not the best film ever, but it's worth watching on a cold winters afternoon.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran is a great movie, As is Seven Samurai
however i think i like Yojimbo and Ikiru more.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Ran is a great movie, As is Seven Samurai
however i think i like Yojimbo and Ikiru more.
They are all great, not forgetting Rashomon and Akahige. Kurosawa's trusted man Toshiro Mifune is one of my favorite actors: extremely physical and sensetive at the same time.