Looking for a feline for a youngster

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I'm not terribly new to the world of cats. As a matter of fact I have had three cats in my lifetime and all have done exceptionally well in my care. But now I'm 39 and have a daughter that's just about to turn 5 and I would love to get her a kitten (well, not just for her). While I'm not new to cats or cat-care, I am completely ignorant where it comes to breeds. The three that I have owned before had all been strays off the street. I'm now looking for something a little different that the "ordinary" cat NOT that I think there is anything wrong with the "ordinary" cat, mind you). I found this board and I'm here hoping I can get some answers. So let's start;

I see a lot of small dog breeds. Is there something similar in a breed of cat that will stay small/smallish?
My first question not withstanding, what are some of the "better" or more suitable breeds that are compatible with young children?
What is the consensus on declawing and "fixing" the cat?

I think with the answers I get from those questions I will be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not declaw. Read these threads:

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155323

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157180

Spaying & neutering are VERY important. Do you have any idea how many cats & dogs are euthanized each day due to the lack of homes? Go check out Petfinder & you'll see thousands upon thousands who may or may not ever get a home.

You might not find a smaller cat. Females tend to be smaller than males, generally. You'll need to decide if you want 1 or 2. Male or Female. Shorthair or Longhair. How much energy you can handle (Bengals, for instance are high energy while Ragdolls are often more complacent).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I'm still hoping for more information regarding the diffrent breeds. I guess I should add that the cat will spend about three days of the week in a home alone for a better part of the day (6:30a - 5:30p). I will look further into the declawing issue. By the way, what does everyone think about Soft Paws?

Thanks again.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soft Paws are WONDERFUL! I've used then with great success.

For info. on individual breeds, I suggest going into the breeders forum & searching for specific breeds you might be interested in. Do some Google searching, too.

kittypaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well...you dont need to declaw a cat, just buy it a scratching post and it'll be fine..
Unless your the one that has the female and wouldn't mind a litter and would find great homes fur them then you dont need to 'fix' the kitty cat! Also it doesna matter - if your planning on keeping your cat as a house cat!

I think Shorthaired cats are tha best
But thats cuz I wouldn't have time to keep brushing a longhaired cat's fur! xDDDD

As fur breeds, you wouldn't get really small cats, some cats will be quite small..others may be big xP Just your luck....
apart from size... would ya like a pure bred? A Siamese? Tho they are expensive,.... but very intelligent and may look smaller than others cuz they havn't got a big bushy coat lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would attend a local cat show so you can see the many varieties of breeds. First decide if:

1. you want long or short hair cat - long hair cats will need to be groomed anywhere from daily to 2-3 times a week depending on the type of longhair cat. Persians are daily groomers, Maine Coons or Ragdolls or Birmans are 2-3 times a week.

2. Some cats are less shedders then others. Orientals, Ocicats, Bengals, Rexes are low shedding cats.

3. Do you want an active cat, medium active or one that is pretty low keyed.

When you narrow your field down to 4-5 breeds, then you can start looking at each one more thoroughly. Read about your chosen breeds on the internet. Many breeders will give you a history of the breed and the pros/cons.

I would recommend a male (neutered) over a female (spayed). Males are usually more tolerant to kids and new surroundings. Females tend to be more one person cats. And females tend to not like a new cat coming in the house if you plan on adopting another cat later.

As far as spaying/neutering - that should be a top priority. You will have a much happier and healthier pet if you get them done at an early age. In the states you can have them done as early as 8 weeks old; personally I'd get them done at 3 months old. 4 month old kittens can and do breed!

Males will spray and try and get outside to run to find females in heat. They risk fights from other animals among other dangers. Females who are allowed to go in and out of heat a lot have a high risk of pyrometria (which will kill them quickly) and cancers.

And declawing - its NOT the solution. Many declawed cats will start having litter box problems (peeing/pooping in other places like your bed, clothes, etc.) Or they will become fear biters or hide a lot.

You can learn to trim nails, use Soft Paws nail caps to keep the cat from scratching/clawing.

And when you pick out your cat, look for one no younger then 10-12 weeks old. They need that time to be with mom/siblings for a well adjusted kitten. If you are looking for purebreds, most breeders will not let kittens go before 4 months old. And they will have all their shots and usually be spayed/neutered too. Expect to pay about $500 or more for a pet quality purebred kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smaller breeds (under 10 lbs when grown) include Orientals, Siamese, Rexes (cornish or devon), Singapuras, Burmese, Russian Blue, Korats.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You bring up some very good points and I am here to further clarify my wants/needs. First, a cat with short hair and that doesn't shed as much is a major preference. With regard to the level of activity, I want a cat that can keep up with a 5 year old who is very loving towards animals but is a bundle of energy herself! On the same hand, I don't want a cat that is more of a bundle than my daughter. So I'm thinking medium active sounds about right. I definitely prefer a kitten as I would like my daughter to have this be her friend for a long, long time to come. I have zero intentions of getting any more cats so the cat I get would have to be able to be OK with being left at home for hours at a time on two or three days of the week.
From the good things that I have read online about Soft Paws, I'll most certainly go that route. I'm sure my daughter will get a kick about having her cat have different color nails every now and again.
I have been looking online for some different breeds, but it all gets too confusing and I guess I'm asking that, from the criteria I have provided, I can be pointed in the direction of a few breeds that fit what I'm looking for. After I get a list together then I will definitely concentrate my search efforts on those breeds that are recommended to me. My daughter is anxious (I guess I am too) to get a cat, but I will not rush into anything without being well informed.

Thanks to those that have posted and for those that will post. I appreciate the information.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would attend a local cat show so you can see the many varieties of breeds. First decide if:

1. you want long or short hair cat - long hair cats will need to be groomed anywhere from daily to 2-3 times a week depending on the type of longhair cat. Persians are daily groomers, Maine Coons or Ragdolls or Birmans are 2-3 times a week.

2. Some cats are less shedders then others. Orientals, Ocicats, Bengals, Rexes are low shedding cats.

3. Do you want an active cat, medium active or one that is pretty low keyed.

When you narrow your field down to 4-5 breeds, then you can start looking at each one more thoroughly. Read about your chosen breeds on the internet. Many breeders will give you a history of the breed and the pros/cons.

I would recommend a male (neutered) over a female (spayed). Males are usually more tolerant to kids and new surroundings. Females tend to be more one person cats. And females tend to not like a new cat coming in the house if you plan on adopting another cat later.

As far as spaying/neutering - that should be a top priority. You will have a much happier and healthier pet if you get them done at an early age. In the states you can have them done as early as 8 weeks old; personally I'd get them done at 3 months old. 4 month old kittens can and do breed!

Males will spray and try and get outside to run to find females in heat. They risk fights from other animals among other dangers. Females who are allowed to go in and out of heat a lot have a high risk of pyrometria (which will kill them quickly) and cancers.

And declawing - its NOT the solution. Many declawed cats will start having litter box problems (peeing/pooping in other places like your bed, clothes, etc.) Or they will become fear biters or hide a lot.

You can learn to trim nails, use Soft Paws nail caps to keep the cat from scratching/clawing.

And when you pick out your cat, look for one no younger then 10-12 weeks old. They need that time to be with mom/siblings for a well adjusted kitten. If you are looking for purebreds, most breeders will not let kittens go before 4 months old. And they will have all their shots and usually be spayed/neutered too. Expect to pay about $500 or more for a pet quality purebred kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, then I would suggest the following "medium activity" cats - tho most will range in the 10-12 lb range when grown. The smaller breeds are probably more active then you really want.

Scottish Folds, American or British SH (American is more active), Burmese, Selkirk Rex, Tonkinese.

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect! I looked through the small list provided and it seems that I'll be concentrating me research between the Burmese and Tonkinese breeds. I've already started reading a bit on the Tonkinese breed and the only thing that I have read that bugs me a bit is that, on one web site, it was noted that this breed does not like being left alone. As stated in my previous post, there will be three days of the week where the cat will be left in the house all alone for about a 12 hour period. But everything else about this breed seems perfect!

Thanks for any and all posts and information provided.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ok, then I would suggest the following "medium activity" cats - tho most will range in the 10-12 lb range when grown. The smaller breeds are probably more active then you really want.

Scottish Folds, American or British SH (American is more active), Burmese, Selkirk Rex, Tonkinese.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the Burmese and and the tonkinese are both HUGE on being sweet lap cats. But the Burmese is a little less active.

photographerboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rustypixel

Perfect! I looked through the small list provided and it seems that I'll be concentrating me research between the Burmese and Tonkinese breeds. I've already started reading a bit on the Tonkinese breed and the only thing that I have read that bugs me a bit is that, on one web site, it was noted that this breed does not like being left alone. As stated in my previous post, there will be three days of the week where the cat will be left in the house all alone for about a 12 hour period. But everything else about this breed seems perfect!

Thanks for any and all posts and information provided.
I forgot to mention they hate being alone. They usually need company human or other wise. So unless you get two(Two is always better than one
) Thos may not be the right bred

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my question was for the OP... I know you want a rescue and
to you for wanting to save a life.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider two kittens then - they can keep each other company. Tonks are siamese/burmese so yes they would be people oriented and not want to be by themselves a lot. But you can ask the breeder if they have an older cat who likes being an only cat - retired show/breeder; maybe around 2-3 yrs old.

Kittens usually do a lot better if there is more then one. They don't become so "needy".

Here's the "retired friends" website for breeds

http://www.breedlist.com/retired/index.html

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally have nothing against older cats. but as I mentioned, I'd like for my daughter to have a long time friend and I would like for their relashionship to start with a kitten. The thing that might keep me away from having two Tonkinese would be the price. I'm newly divorced and I just purchased a house so the funds are low.
Another question, would the Tonkinese breed be that upset over being left alone for 12 hours (roughly) over a period of three days (not consecutive days)? If so, then I will have to look into another breed as there is nothing I can do about this. It's a shame too, as this is a gorgeous looking cat!

Originally Posted by twstychik

No, my question was for the OP... I know you want a rescue and
to you for wanting to save a life.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though females tend to be smaller than males, males tend to be more loving (when neutered of course). As for the Soft Paws, they are wonderful and you can get them in different colors as well

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

So glad you have joined our wonderful community of cat lovers.
I see that members are already giving you feedback to your excellent questions.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rustypixel

I personally have nothing against older cats. but as I mentioned, I'd like for my daughter to have a long time friend and I would like for their relashionship to start with a kitten. The thing that might keep me away from having two Tonkinese would be the price. I'm newly divorced and I just purchased a house so the funds are low.
Another question, would the Tonkinese breed be that upset over being left alone for 12 hours (roughly) over a period of three days (not consecutive days)? If so, then I will have to look into another breed as there is nothing I can do about this. It's a shame too, as this is a gorgeous looking cat!
If money is an issue then even more reason to check out your local shelter first. At least have a look. If you don't find a kitten (yes, there are kittens at the shelter... and sometimes there are even purebreed "looking" kittens) that you or your daughter absolutely HAVE to have then keep searching breeders.