Persepolis (2007)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808417/

So this weekend DH and I ran out and saw this gem of a film. Done in French with English subtitles it gives a very human perspective from inside the world of Iran. Marjane Satrapi wrote two graphic novels that detailed her story of living in her home country as it went from a secular culture to one run by extreme religion. Her reason for writing the books and coming out with the film are two fold. One, as a reaction to President Bush's Axis of Evil speech, and two to tell the honest story of her life. Satrapi doesn't pull any punches.

Now this film is animated, but that doesn't take away from the story. It still has the ability to make one laugh and cry. Try renting this one when it comes out. It will be well worth your two hours.

Links to the books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...d_i=0224064401

You don't have to read the books to "get" the movie. However, it would be nice if you read them first.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw Persepolis in November and liked it very much. The story was touching and real and the animation interesting. I've only peeked at the graphic novels, somehow I wasn't as impressed with the artwork in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

I saw Persepolis in November and liked it very much. The story was touching and real and the animation interesting. I've only peeked at the graphic novels, somehow I wasn't as impressed with the artwork in them.
The books are amazing. The artwork is very minimal, and it works because of the story being told. Pick them up at a library. Trust me one this one.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808417/

So this weekend DH and I ran out and saw this gem of a film. Done in French with English subtitles it gives a very human perspective from inside the world of Iran. Marjane Satrapi wrote two graphic novels that detailed her story of living in her home country as it went from a secular culture to one run by extreme religion. Her reason for writing the books and coming out with the film are two fold. One, as a reaction to President Bush's Axis of Evil speech, and two to tell the honest story of her life. Satrapi doesn't pull any punches.

Now this film is animated, but that doesn't take away from the story. It still has the ability to make one laugh and cry. Try renting this one when it comes out. It will be well worth your two hours.

Links to the books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...d_i=0224064401

You don't have to read the books to "get" the movie. However, it would be nice if you read them first.
I am one of the few (the only that I have ever seen) that uses the term DW. Anyway, my DW is from Iran, and speaks French, and had read the book. So, we were waiting for this movie to come out and in her community it was greatly anticipated. She gave her instant review of the movie as being extremely accurate in its portrayal. Go see it right away; since it is an "artsy" movie, it won't last long.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I am one of the few (the only that I have ever seen) that uses the term DW. Anyway, my DW is from Iran, and speaks French, and had read the book. So, we were waiting for this movie to come out and in her community it was greatly anticipated. She gave her instant review of the movie as being extremely accurate in its portrayal. Go see it right away; since it is an "artsy" movie, it won't last long.
This is one of the few films that has come out this year that I'm going to buy once the DVD is released.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The books are amazing. The artwork is very minimal, and it works because of the story being told. Pick them up at a library. Trust me one this one.
Minimal wasn't what put me off on the first place, nothing wrong with that. I just thought the artwork was a bit... sloppy. I'll go check them out properly, as you suggested. If the story is told better than in the film, as usual, they must be good.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

That sounds really interesting.

Were the books also originally in French?
Yes I believe so. The author is also a cartoonist in France, so you may have seen some of her work in papers or magazines.