Jake's ear...

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anybody remembers but I posted a thread awhile back describing Jake's left ear and how it was slightly drooping.. Well, it's all the way down now and looks like he can't really move it. Also I couldn't tell, but it does look infected. I don't think there's anything I can do for him being unemployed and all.. So I might just have to take him to the Humane society here and see if they can do anything for him. I'm just at a loss and don't know what to do.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww Jake
....hopefully you can figure something out; I think untreated infections can be dangerous.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes... ear infections can sometimes be dangerous if left untreated. It could be any number of things. Please try to take him to the Humane Society and see if they can help. It could very well be something minor that doesn't cost alot.

What does the inside of the ear look like? Does it have black stuff in it that looks like dirt? Does it have any type of smell? Is he scratching or pawing at it, or does he leave it alone? Does he seem to be in any pain or is he his normal self?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could well lose his hearing if it is left unattended. Yes, please do take him to the humane society or a low cost clinic and try to work something out with them. I know it's easy for us to say take him to a vet, but when you are unemployed it's tough. Please do what you can to help him out, he must be in considerable discomfort if not pain.

Keep us posted - we'll be thinking of you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everybody's concern
Turns out he had ear mites, and the vet tech up there cleaned his ears up real good, gave him some medicine and a Revolution. He did have a spot below his ear where he had scratched so much that it got infected, so they gave me antibiotics for that as well. So Jake's going to be just fine! I'm so thankful that they were able to help me seeing as I was in a jam.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormchickx

Thanks for everybody's concern
Turns out he had ear mites, and the vet tech up there cleaned his ears up real good, gave him some medicine and a Revolution. He did have a spot below his ear where he had scratched so much that it got infected, so they gave me antibiotics for that as well. So Jake's going to be just fine! I'm so thankful that they were able to help me seeing as I was in a jam.
I'm so happy to hear that Jake is on the mend now!

- to the HS for helping Jake out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did get back down to Bowling Green for my dad's birthday and saw him again. His wound healed up but his ear is still kind of flopped over against his head. I think the lady at the shelter said that his ear would probably stay like that cause of the mites. I still feel so bad that I didn't catch it sooner
But he does look a lot better. Thank you all again for your support