Weird Nibbling Habit

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My youngest cat Turtle recently developed this habit of jumping in bed to lie beside me and start nibbling on my fingertips. She's very happy doing this, purrs like mad, but it hurts! If I try to pull my hand away, she goes into play mode and starts pouncing, which doesn't help at all :p Just wondering what's going on. She's about a year old, so I don't think she's making an attempt to nurse, and as far as I know, my fingers aren't particularly tasty; I don't spend all day digging through their bag of cat food. :p

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fingers are often favorite cat toys which cats should be discouraged to play with for obvious reasons.

Next time Turtle starts nibbling on them, don't move your hand, but say no, stare down at her, hiss and blow on her face. Do this every time and she'll learn not to go after your fingers.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

And if that doesn't work, apply some Bitter Apple to your fingers for a few days before going to bed. That often works to discourage biting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

And if that doesn't work, apply some Bitter Apple to your fingers for a few days before going to bed. That often works to discourage biting.
I've tried that stuff, actually. It doesn't phase my cats at all, they almost seem to like it. :/