Complaints about Nutro...

bluegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm personally am not a big fan of Nutro Foods and wouldn't use it on my animals. UNLESS, that is the absolute only food they could tolerate lol

That said, I think you could find a bunch of complaints on any food out there, not just Nutro.

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed nutro and thought they were good, this is scary info and I might look into switching.
I know that there are higher quality foods and junk foods. Sometimes I think that since there are so many people that feed junk that it must be safe, know what I mean?
I love my kitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bluegirl

That said, I think you could find a bunch of complaints on any food out there, not just Nutro.
That is the truth ...

Truely if another recall type thing s hits I think well SEE alot not a case here and a case there ... If I did that for every food that MIGHT have caused an issue well I would not even get to eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gidgetcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure, you could find complaints about nearly every food, but how many of them would be this severe? Nearly everyone of those had pets get severely sick or die after eating Nutro. Wellness gave my cats gas at first and Kumpi gave my dog a rash, but neither killed them. At the beginning of the recalls we switched to Nutro (dry) for a couple of days, and within the week all my cats were at the vet with elevated kidney values. What are being posted on Consumer Affairs are more than simple complaints.

Let me ask you this, if one hundred people "complained" that their children ended up in the ER or died after eating a certain brand of popsicles, would you feed your child those popsicles? Based on the logic of "you could find a bunch of complaints on any food," I guess you would.

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed nutro, personally.

I think many people just don't do enough research on food. I mean, it's easy to think "it must be OK if others are feeding it", I know that because I used to think it.

But, if you truly want healthy, happy cats/pets/selves, then excellent nutrition is just crucial, and "OK" just doesn't cut it.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." Hippocrates

"The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition." Thomas Edison

"Disease is a lack of health. Health is not a lack of disease." Unknown

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GidgetCat

Sure, you could find complaints about nearly every food, but how many of them would be this severe? Nearly everyone of those had pets get severely sick or die after eating Nutro. Wellness gave my cats gas at first and Kumpi gave my dog a rash, but neither killed them. At the beginning of the recalls we switched to Nutro (dry) for a couple of days, and within the week all my cats were at the vet with elevated kidney values. What are being posted on Consumer Affairs are more than simple complaints.

Let me ask you this, if one hundred people "complained" that their children ended up in the ER or died after eating a certain brand of popsicles, would you feed your child those popsicles? Based on the logic of "you could find a bunch of complaints on any food," I guess you would.
NONE of the complaints can actually state the FOOD did it ... My dog nearly dies from a bug bite but I am not off telling the world how bad bugs are

THOU I do beleive food is medicine ...yet many foods have come close to killing me not cause they were bad but they and my immune system didnt like one another

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find that for nearly every food. Nutro's got it bad, they're fairly priced & readily available....so lots of people feed it. Therefore there are lots of people to complain about every little thing.

Those complaints are often "heresay" because there is no proof that is really what occur. Yes, an animal can eat the food & get sick days later....but maybe they had a genetic condition, or suffered a bug bite & had a reaction.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess my only comment would be that just because it's posted on the internet doesn't make it fact. Unless there is proof that Nutro was THE cause of death, I don't think any of us have a right to point fingers. It could also be a liability issue if Nutro wanted to push the envelope.

We must all be careful that what we "repeat" has been tested/documented/proven.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd be a little more impressed by the web site quoted by the OP if it were a .org or .gov site - or even if a vet or feline nutritionist were named specifically, rather than a bunch of untraceable anecdotal comments. I always consider what agenda might be in place for a given site, and what sort of verifiable evidence is provided by that site.

For what it's worth, I've fed my cats Nutro for two years - through the recall - no problems. And, as I understand it, Nutro actually has nutritionists in its employ - and seemed pretty darn vehement about ensuring standards were heightened and strictly enforced after the actions perpetrated by Menu Foods on its business partners.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Nutro Max and am now worried after reading the reviews. However, if you take a look at consumer affairs website there are many bad reviews for Iams, Science Diet, Purina, even premiums like Natural Balance and Canidae.

I know most people feed their kitties junk, not premium foods, after reading about all the illnesses and deaths caused I am surprised cats and dogs aren't extinct yet.

I will continue to feed this food and hope for the best.

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

THOU I do beleive food is medicine ...yet many foods have come close to killing me not cause they were bad but they and my immune system didnt like one another
I think what I mean when I quote good ole' Hippo (
) is not that there are "good" foods and "bad" foods and we should only eat good foods.

I think what he meant was that the right diet for the right being (be it cat, dog, human, etc) leads to optimal health, with no need for any "medicine" outside of that. For me that may mean the inclusion/exclusion of different foods, for you it may mean just the opposite, you know?

I also think that the "health is not just the absence of disease" quote is important too, in conjunction with the one above. Cats/dogs/humans can survive on poor or mediocre nutrition, but on appropriate, excellent nutrition, they can truly thrive, and the two are not the same.

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Those complaints are scary. Especially since I just started feeding Nutro Max Cat to my two cats. Now I'm wondering if I should try something else.

I switched my cats from kitten to adult food and started them on Natural Balance. Both cats would eat it just fine but Pierre got very loose stools/diarrhea from it so I had to stop. Next choice was Max Cat which seems to be fine so far. I'm actually mixing the two because I don't want to waste the NB if I don't have to. But after reading these complaints I'm scared to continue them on it and so I guess it's back to the drawing board. Can anyone suggest a different dry food to try next? Thanks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Personally, I'd be a little more impressed by the web site quoted by the OP if it were a .org or .gov site - or even if a vet or feline nutritionist were named specifically, rather than a bunch of untraceable anecdotal comments. I always consider what agenda might be in place for a given site, and what sort of verifiable evidence is provided by that site.

For what it's worth, I've fed my cats Nutro for two years - through the recall - no problems. And, as I understand it, Nutro actually has nutritionists in its employ - and seemed pretty darn vehement about ensuring standards were heightened and strictly enforced after the actions perpetrated by Menu Foods on its business partners.
My point exactly. It's very easy to find lots of information on the internet but let's not be gullible and believe everything we see. That's exactly what those comments are so we should all be very wary of repeating what may well be misinformation and open one up to lawsuits.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the complaints fall under the "Sky is Falling" category.
If someone yelled the sky is falling, would you believe them?

Do your own research. If you have ?s about the food, contact the company.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha... thanks!

I saw it on another site, and it just struck me as odd because I had a lady at Petco stalking me yesterday trying to get me to switch to Nutro. I just didn't have the heart to tell her my parents fed it growing up, and I wasn't impressed... maybe the Naturals is better, but I'll never try it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
many of those posts are also months old.
i'm going to continue to use Nutro in my rotation - the cats seem to do well on it, & the ingredients [per the label] are acceptable.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A handful of random anonymous posts on a random Web site I've never heard of. It doesn't mean anything. For all we know they're posted by somebody with a grudge against the company, like a disgruntled employee or a nutcase.