How long does it take?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a long time since I have had to introduce cats to one another....Melody does not seem to care for my cats
I now it will take some time but just curious as to how long it may take for everyone to get along??

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends really because their all different?. I was lucky with all three of mine because it took Rosie two weeks before she accepted Sophie, and they both took one week to accept Jack.

I think it helped that i swapped their toys and blankets around a couple of times a day, and i brushed the girls, then brushed Jack to get their smell on him and vice versa several times a day.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took 6 months!!! for Radar and Sonic to become what I would call good friends, they're not cuddly with each other but they do play a lot and can tolerate sleeping within a couple of feet of one another. They've never hated each other though, Sonic was terrified of Radar's early attempts to play with him and didn't trust him for ages, they still argue occasionally but it's all normal dominance behaviour.

I am going to start introducing number 3 tonight, wish me luck!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Been a long time since I have had to introduce cats to one another....Melody does not seem to care for my cats
I now it will take some time but just curious as to how long it may take for everyone to get along??
Anywhere from immediately to never, depending on the cats. That's been my experience...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Anywhere from immediately to never, depending on the cats
I was lucky, mine got along right from the start but I know there are others on this site who have to keep their cats apart even after a long time as they never get along.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just introduced third adult boy to 2 others. First week he was in isolation and others got to get used to him being behind a door (he made his presence known by wailing for company). We fed at his door and exchanged stuff the during that week, then started visits to each others quarters (this was hard for one of the brothers, he got very worried of the new guy having been to his feeding and toilet area).

Mid second week we did not see the need to isolate the new guy for nights anymore because despite some stiffness on the part of one of the brothers, a peace had been established. New kitty would not let himself be groomed by (eager) others until the third week, and still only allows it on the head/face. By fourth week the new guy was snuggling and wrestling with everybody.

The whole thing was hardest on the most insecure of the (resident) cats. The newcomer made it very easy being a total gentleman and accepting some growling, hogging of his cup and invasions of his safe space with calm "I am just glad I have company" - attitude.