Stress baby. that's the name of the game! I need some kitten help!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK here's the story. Short and sweet.

I just got a divorce. So i moved back home to Arizona. Well not home, I got a condo here because I work for Intel and my office is here.

So the other day a neighbor came by and said she was giving away kittens. The mother died and the kittens are only 3 weeks old. I dind't want to take them so young, but man I'm a softy when it comes to animals. I can't even go near an animal shelter because it breaks my heart to walk out with all those sad faces.

Anyway,l agreed to take two. I always had cats, and I hate getting them alone. so I got brother and sister.

When I got home I put them in a spare bathroom with a cat bed, a kitten sized litter box, and a small bowl of water.

They slept for about 5 hours. Of course they were hungry when they woke up. I bought a bottle (4 oz) and two kinds of milk replacement formula.

They refuse to even consider it! I know they need to be fed 3 to 4 times a day at this age, but they won't. or drink water, or go poop! They sleep, wake up and scream, then sleep again. If I lay down on the floor they come snuggle up to me and they get quiet then, but basically just go to sleep.

What am I doing wrong and do i need to be worried? I want them to eat, but I can't cram the nipple down their throats. I tried dripping some on my arm, putting the nipple in their mouth and everything else I can think of. I just don't know waht to do!

here's a picture I took so you can see I'm not just making this up.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're so cute!! I dont know if you're doing anything wrong, but you might end up having to force feed with a syringe to get them to eat if they dont start soon! It could be that they are traumatized from being away from their mama! Im not sure! I got my Eek at 3 weeks old and I had to bottle feed him too, I tried putting out a bowl and he nearly drowned trying to drink it! They told me he was 7 weeks old when I got him though... they said he was just the runt! I would keep trying with the KMR and try both kinds, maybe they like one and not the other! Make sure its warm otherwise they wont drink it and if they do it will upset their tummys! If all else fails go to the vet, but I would try the syringe! maybe once they get something in their tummys they'll start to eat!! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response.

I don't know what to do. I woke them up to try feeding them again. they have slept for 10 out of the last 12 hours. They didn't want to eat the formula but both of them kept rooting around me while I lay on the floor and they were trying to suckle. I KNOW they're hungry.

I feel awful and don't know what to do. Will 3 week old kittens die if they don't eat for 24 hours?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a little corn syrup on their gums. They need some quick calories. Plus, make sure to keep them warm.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens that young go downhill very very quickly!! I would definatly try the corn syrup on their gums and start syringe feeding!! Things are getting desperate!! They need to eat or they will not live!! Do you have a medicine dropper?? Try putting like 5ml's to start with in there and giving it to each one then maybe they will realize that they are getting food from you now instead of their mother!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible night. I didn't get 3 hours of sleep worrying about these guys.

I'm taking them to the vet this morning, and I've arranged foster care if it turns out they need more than I can provide. Which I highly doubt since I am at home approx 19 hours per day.

The poor little things still refuse everything. people baby food, kitten soft canned food, everything.

I cancelled a presentation i have to give to 200 people today. That's how important this is to me. I will do whatever is needed to help these guys. Even if that means giving them to someone else.

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I must say they are absolutely adorable! and You must be at wits end by now and very tired!

Do you know what their mom died of? This could play a role in them not eating. The other thought that comes to mind right off is kittens of that size need to be stimulated to pee and poo. A warm, wet paper towel, cotton balls work great, wiped on their personal parts will get them to go.

If they were mine I would first off get them to pee or poo or both. Then I would use a warm wash cloth and wipe them all over, especially on their little faces using a backwards stroke towards the ears. They need to be stimulated and warm to want to eat, especially at this point and time. I've always used a small cold water/ice bottle (like a mini hot water bottle, they are made of cloth on the outside) filled with warm water wrapped in a dish towel to warm them. Mom cats lick their faces and head usually before nursing and also lick their privates to get them to go potty. All of this stimulation makes them want to nurse.

Once you got them to this point then try feeding them. Wrap them in a dish towel first and hold them upright so they do not asperate the formula. The karo Syrup on their gums is also a great way to give them quick needed calories and regulate their blood sugar levels. It will also perk them up. What kind of a bottle did you get? Did you need to put the hole in the nipple? It's really hard to get that done so it actually works right. I've dipped the nipple in the formula, or rubbed some Karo syrup in it, squeezed some out, like a drop or two into their mouths to gert them started. I'm thinking at this point they are weak from not eating and need to be stimulated first.

I'm not an expert by any means, like to think though that having fostered and raised many kittens in my lifetime that some of this may help you. If I think of anything else I will post it. If none of this is working a vet would be a good idea. They may ned to be tube fed to bring them back around before they will drink. He/she could also rule out a medical issue, although they should have immunity from most things from their Mom still.

Wishing you the best with the two little darlings and bless your heart for trying to help them.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that great advice.

here's my update.

I got them to the vet which cost a fortune! $350.00! They're going to keep them until 5:00 pm and I'll pick them up. Can you believe that for that price I had to go to the pet store and buy the formula and bottles and bring them to them? it wascloser than home so I got new stuff.

The mom died by getting hit by a car, or something. it wasn't an illness. The vet said considering their trauma they look really good. The little orange one had some goopy eyes but I think that's because the mom usually cleans them.

She got them to suckle on the some soft kitten food with formula in it (gruel) but they didn't eat much. Then they went back to sleep. So we're on the right track. I'm going back at 5 to have them show me better how to feed them.

I tried to stimulate them to go poop but they just looked at me crazy and screamed their heads off

I'm SO relileved that these guys got some food. I can't even begin to explain how stressed I was last night. I swear I can still hear them crying even though they aren't here.

Oh fyi in that 350 I'm having them tested for fiv or whatever. They also gave them some liquid stuff. QS? or something?

Much much much better morning! I'm excited to get them back now.

Oh, one peculiar thing. when i put the dark one in the litter box she didn't go. but she started sucking on the kitty litter! ugh

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Imagine that you and the litt'l darlings are feeling much better
Perhaps you can take a nap before picking them up! You are gonna need some rest. If you can manage to hang in there for about another week to ten days things will get much easier.

Yes I can believe the $350
IMO the prices are getting to be as bad as our health care system in the country for humans!

That is wonderful that they lapped up some of the gruel mixture. Usually at 3 weeks they can get the hang of that if need be in short order. You can still offer them a bottle. The sucking reflex is so strong that sometimes they start to suckle on each other.......you will need to seperate them if they do. Usually is on each others private parts. They can really do damage if that happens.

Great idea to have them tested whilst they are there also. Hoping they have a clean bill of health. The pic you posted of them looked as if they had been doing well, they looked good.

What a shame about their Mom. So sorry for them.

Not sure what the QS is. Did they drink that or was it like an IV. I'm thinking like a pedialyte for babies only for kitties.

What kind of kitty litter did you get? Kittens seem to always eat some. The clumping kind of litter is not recommended. I use World's Best Litter, made from corn. It's flusable and eatable too as long as they do not eat too much. Others will recommend alternatives for you.

I'm relieved that your day is getting much better and you can relax now. You will have lots of fun raising those darlings. You are doing a wonderful job so far, thats a lot to have to deal with all of a sudden. Just keep on posting here and reading, everyone will be more than happy to help you along the way. Thank you for caring for them. they will reward ten fold. (This past fall I raised 4, 3 week olds who's Mom abandoned them, until they were 6 weeks. At that point they were fostered out individually as they suckled each other to the point of harm) I hadn't had kitts that tiny in years but it was much fun and lots of work. And I had NEVER until then had kittens that suckeled on each other, was quite alarming.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know what she meant by the fluids. but it's called SQ not QS (oops). They said it's just to keep them hydrated.

I LOVE cats. I've been through a rough divorce and she got the cats. So I need some friends to have around the house. The problem is they get spoiled rotten with me, and i'm too affectionate with them. The last boy I had would be waiting for me at the door when I came home. he'd jump into my arms RIGHT as I came in (dropping my laptop sometimes) and I'd catch him. He'd then flip over and want me to rub his tummy. His brother suckled on my arm, then he got into the habit of jumping in my lap and flipping onto his back, then would suckle my pinky until he fell asleep. It was so cute. when he was about 3 months old he'd do that, and I'd take my finger away when he slept and he'd suck the air with his little toungue stuck all the way out.

I'm just relieved. I actually look forward to the attention they need since they're so young. I just needed to see them get started. They'll be very happy cats. No question about it. And I feel like I'm doing a tiny part to help otherwise hopeless cats.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a wonderful thing
There are worse things to do than spoil your cats. May want to find a laptop case with thicker padding, though

The SQ are sub-qs. Not sure of the long clinical name, but it is injection of fluid under the skin to keep them hydrated. They dehydrate quickly as such a young age.

Please do keep us updated with photos if you can. I will love watching them grow

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why thank you!

This is what we've been reduced to:

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH My goodness! Look at that little one
He will feel better once he pees/poops and eats
What did the vet say about their prognosis?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said they're not in bad shape at all. They must be pretty strong. They ended up just under 24 hours with no food or drink, or going to the bathroom.

I brought them home right after that pic was taken at 5:15 and they've slept since they got home. A little over two hours.

I have to wake them up if they don't get up by 11. I have to work early. But I figure I'll get up 30 minutes early and feed them before I go.

They refuse the bottles. even from the vet. so the syringe is it for now. I don't mind, it just takes a LONG time. And don't worry, that position isn't normal. i wrapped him up like a burrito and held him almost flat, then put the syringe in his mouth and only squished out some when he started meowing again.

I'm SO relieved.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Im so glad they are doing better!! Having sick kittens is a heartbreaking thing when you can't figure out what you're doing wrong!! Keep up the good work!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how I miss bottle babies!

The fluids are probably Sub-Q fluids.....a dehydrated cat/kitten will die quickly, so keeping them hydrated is always important.

Just be patient & persistant....they'll grow up quickly!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture at the vet is *so* cute

I think it's wonderful that these poor orphan kittens showed up at your door.
Without you, they would probably not still be here.

I'm also glad that they have each other, because being seperated from mom at such a young age can mean they miss out on some behavioral things. Having a sibling can give them very important socialization skills.

I have a special love for bottle-fed babies, Chloe (my younger cat) was one (stray found at 4 weeks old) and she is a sweetheart.

joshoisasleep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are you keeping them warm? I just went through this kind of, although with a street kitten who loved to eat from the start (she was at 3 to 4 weeks when we found her... probably underfed because she was smaller than your kitty in the picture). The one thing I felt in retrospect I wasn't doing enough was keeping her warm, as kittens that young are used to huddling with their mum at all times. I guess having two might make it not so much of an issue... Maybe if you kept them in a kitten sack at your side at all times? It sounds weird but that's more like what a mummy cat does.

In my experience, isn't 3 weeks almost old enough to eat solid food? Have you tried feeding them from a dish? Maybe they're unhappy about suckling from something other than their mum. When I was a kid, we weaned a litter of kittens when they were quite young by mashing up dry food and heating it up, mixed with milk or something so it's a goop on the plate.

What's your trick with the syringe? Right down the throat, or let them lick it off the end? Having done a lot of syringe feeding, I find the former may work best for cats who really don't want to take whatever it is, but often you can do the latter and the cat will be much happier with the syringe and soon begin to eat whatever it is (medicin, in that particular case) happily from the syringe if restrained in a cuddly sweater. I think the reason kitties hate syringes is because they lick the tip, and it hurts their little tongue if it's actually in their mouth.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What ended up working was closer to the licking thing. They both flat refused it. but i'd get it in their mouth and squirt a tiny bit in. not enough to fill up their mouth. then sometimes they'd lick and bite the syringe.

Today for the first tiime they nursed on the bottle. but I was very careful to NEVER force the syringe down their throat. I was too worried they'd aspirate.

The little dark one ate a full 15cc for the first time today. When she was done she spit the bottle out, and her eyes immediatley closed about half way. Then she pretty much stopped moving and just started purring REALLY loud. Then got the hiccups
I think I let a little too much air in. But I'm learning too!

I still can't stimulate them to poop. I got them to pee a few times, but nothing solid from the rump. That concerns me. if I can't get them to poop tonight I'm taking them back to the vet tomorrow. They pooped ONCE yesterday, at the vet. It's starting to really worry me.

I'm sure I fuss over them too much but I will do anything to keep these guys safe and happy.

I put them in a spare bathroom. I have a TON of sheets piled up, and a cat bed (donut) that I put them in. They sleep on top of each other, and so far I haven't seen them shiver at all. It's about 75 in the bathroom.

is that too cold? won't they shiver if they get cold? i put a towel over the cat bed at night to keep the warmth in. I have a heating pad but the vet discouraged that.