Love Chomps in a Senior Kitty?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Squishy is 10-15-ish years old. No history on him before late Dec 2007.

He'll occaisonally chomp, not bite, but chomp on me.

Like, today I was holding him after he got in my lap. He was cradled in my arm & he just kinda chomped my arm, let go....and that was it.

When I touch his sides where the open sores were, he chomps me but that's because those hurt & I had to put stinging meds on those spots for so long.

He's MUCH better about not chomping when I pet him.

But I've no clue why he chomps, or what causes him to.
I've searched "biting" & read the threads.

Just looking for input. I'd still like to re-home him, but since he bites no one is seriously interested. Not to mention everyone in this area wants to declaw him at his age.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Squishy is 10-15-ish years old. I'd still like to re-home him
It would be nice if he could remain where he is. He is getting old after all.

Regarding the reason for the "chomps", I believe you answered it already. He does it in response to being hurt or the better word would be "sensitive". Maybe shorter petting sessions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Could his teeth being hurting???
I wondered that. He needs a dental, but I can't get it done for awhile yet.

If he stays here, he'll have to be a farm kitty, too. I've been told he cannot stay inside. I've been given until it warms up to find him a furr-ever home. I had someone locally interested in him when I pulled him so he wasn't euthanized, but they want to declaw him.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pinky is an overstimulation biter and over the years, I've gotten him to reduce his bites into chomps and he does it a lot less frequently than he used to. I've used the tips in the aggressive behavior sticky on him to get him that far.