Chicken that lays colored eggs!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the green eggs ( that is how I first learned about them) ... too me at least taste better , likely it is they are freasher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between white and brown I heard brown is healthier and better, but i've yet to try eggs from this type of Chicken. I dont even think they are sold here?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Between white and brown I heard brown is healthier and better, but i've yet to try eggs from this type of Chicken. I dont even think they are sold here?
white to brown only the breed is different ... you heard a common old wives tale"_

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got 3 Aracaunas, they all lay green eggs. People who buy the eggs from me say they think the green eggs are creamier. Overall, homegrown is better than store bought anyway :p but I am biased hahahaha.

That is what they look like. I now have another brown one but this pic was taken a year ago. That's Ethel [white] and Lucy. Hahaha.

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol yep you gotta love eggs!

Actually it is the green egg that is the healthiest I believe they have lower cholesterol.

I have chickens to! I have one Aracauna though I plan to get more this year. though I do have a solid black chicken that lays green eggs.
Sh ewas given to me and I think she is a mix.

I have white layers ad brown layers.

small group shots

Millie

Pinneapple

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, my SIL has some chickens and has the "Easter Chickens" as she calls them - we got a few of the blue and green eggs. They are a lot smaller then normal eggs tho - but taste the same to me.

White and brown eggs are the normal color depending on the type of chicken. The Easter ones are the ones that lay green or blue. If a chicken layed both white and brown eggs, then its a cross between two breeds - but not the true Easter chicken breed.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If a chicken layed both white and brown eggs, then its a cross between two breeds - but not the true Easter chicken breed.
Yeah typically Araucanas from big Hatcheries are known as "Easter Eggers" because they are ususally just mutt birds that possess the blue gene. You'd have to go to a breeder to get a true Araucana.

Here's true Araucanas:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/C...KArauTrue.html

Here's mine which are Easter Eggers basically:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/C...BRKEaster.html

I have one Aracauna though I plan to get more this year. though I do have a solid black chicken that lays green eggs. Sh ewas given to me and I think she is a mix.
Ameraucanas come in black. So maybe that's what she is.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/C...u/BRKAmer.html

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, thanks for posting the pictures everyone!

Guess the white/brown egg is a lie, but there is a difference in how chickens are raised for egg laying, the natural ones with no hormones or additives are better I think, something to do with what they are fed and how they are kept?

I honestly like egg whites, but if I make the whole egg I dont like to waste the yolk so i'll eat the whole egg, unless it's easter and I had like 6 eggs!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White/brown eggs have NO difference in quality or taste. Its the chicken that produces it. But people believe there is and so the stores don't argue - they will get more money for brown eggs

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

White/brown eggs have NO difference in quality or taste. Its the chicken that produces it. But people believe there is and so the stores don't argue - they will get more money for brown eggs
yep! to true! lol did you know some ppl dont even know eggs come from chickens?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy my eggs from a local farmer, and they come in a wide variety of colors. My favorite part is breaking the shell of a greenish white egg and seeing the robins egg blue on the inside.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by naturesgift

yep! to true! lol did you know some ppl dont even know eggs come from chickens?
Where do they think they come from???? Cows???? I find that hard to believe!

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do they think they come from???? Cows???? I find that hard to believe

Well what about ducks,geese, or turkeys? They are found on farms.

Although if you mean to say people think they are from reptiles, that would be absurd sounding. The only farm I know that mass produces reptile eggs is for alligator farming, and I dont see many people here saying they've eaten alligator.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My granny has a different colored eggs!!!! I think green eggs have the best taste and brown eggs are the best for cooking. I don't know if it's true, but that's my personal opinion!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Yup, there's a chicken that naturally lays colored eggs, ready for Easter egg hunts! It's called the Araucana.

Article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

Eggs from the same Hen
We used to have them on our farm in Kentucky

I remember when I was little I thought it was the coolest thing to find "blue" and "green" eggs