What are these symptoms of?

rednightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat hasn't been able to stand or walk properly, won't eat and hardly drinks. His eyes seem to have a large amount of mucous in them. He's old, about 70-90 cat years. Recently his litterbox hadn't been changed for about 11 days, could he have gotten an infection from this? He passed away earlier today and I would like to know if it could have been prevented.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without taking him to a vet it would be hard to figure out. Sounds like an infection - maybe viral or kidney shut down or anything in between.

My question is WHY was that litter box not changed for almost 2 weeks? I doubt if the infection came from there, but its certainly not healthy either. Sounds like he's been sick for longer then a few weeks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well usually when your cat is not walking properly or eating this is considered an emergency and the cat should have been rushed to the vet to find out what was wrong and help its suffering. He could have been in pain. He could have died from a number of things, he may have stopped eating and walking because he was old and tired and knew his time was up. Or he could have had some internal problem and couldn't physically walk or eat, therefore starving to death, or becoming dehydrated enough to pass away. He could have had cancer, or a number of organ problems. His litterbox wasn't the problem, he was sick and should have seen the vet.

How old was he actually? Poor thing should not have had to suffer in his last days.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He should have gone to the Vet. When a Cat is ike that it needs a Vet fast. He could have had a infection. Why was the pa not changed for 11 days?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Well usually when your cat is not walking properly or eating this is considered an emergency and the cat should have been rushed to the vet to find out what was wrong and help its suffering. He could have been in pain. He could have died from a number of things, he may have stopped eating and walking because he was old and tired and knew his time was up. Or he could have had some internal problem and couldn't physically walk or eat, therefore starving to death, or becoming dehydrated enough to pass away. He could have had cancer, or a number of organ problems. His litterbox wasn't the problem, he was sick and should have seen the vet.

It could have been any number of things.
Why didn't you take your kitty into the vet when you first noticed him ailing?

I'm sorry you lost your kitty, but it might have been prevented if he was taken into the vet sooner.

~KK~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
VET ASAP... I agree it likely should have been when symptoms showed