i got pulled over!

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, time to vent a little, i am soooo irritated right now. As i have said in a previous post, my brother is a cop, my sister is a dispatcher/reserve cop and her roommate/bf whatever the heck he is, is a cop. i cant stand him. Anyway, my sister works hoots (night shift), and sent me a PM asking me to run to the popbox and get her something to keep her awake, and be carefull because spike is pulling over litterally everyone. Yes i do mean every car on the road. So, i went, Not a big deal, until the ride home. I get about halfway down mainstreet and i see him sitting in his car along side the road. so i continue on my way. Yep he turned around and tailgated me almost rearending me at the stopsign. Just as i turn off main he hits his emergency becons. He gets out, spotlights all through the van and in my face, by this time i am getting a little angry. He shines his light in my face and askes with this major attitude "do you know your tag is out of date, i can tow your van right now" i said that i didnt know, its not my van, then he demands to knwo whos it is, He already knows me, my van, my whole family what does he have to prove here(he has already drawn his gun on me about 4 different times when i was unarmed in that same van, he knows who i am). Then its like a light goes on in his head, he was all like, "oh hun, you know i am not gonna give you a ticket, do you have insurance, let me see" the whole time i am glaring at him, did i mention i cant stand him? the rest of the stop he acts like it was all a big misunderstanding that he didnt realize who i was and all this, chatting away about how he understands that roman and i ahve it rough and how much we have to drive for work and such. Then he just lets us go. Then he has the nerve to call my sister on her cell phone and chew her out for not allerting him that it was me and how she should have prevented the whole thing by telling him we were out driving around. She called me appologizing almost in tears thinking i was gonna be mad, i told her if i had been mad, if he had continued with his attitude he started the trafic stop with, i would be calling every city council member in the phonebook instead of being on the computer. maybe i am not right to be so hatefull towards him, i mean he has done a lot to help with my nephew since his dad has taken off, but the guy is so rude, he has money and knows it, and thinks he owns everything and everyone.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You started your post off listing friends and family members who are in law enforcement. To me that indicates that you expect the police in your area to look the other way for your infractions.

He had a valid right to pull you over if your tags were expired. Expired tags is a crime. Not long ago someone else posted about getting pulled over for expired tags and they got a ticket both times.

Seems to me you got off easy because had it been anyone else, they would have gotten a ticket.

So far as his attitude goes, you just described every anonymous Joe's encounter with a police officer when pulled over at night.

He let you go without a ticket, TBH I don't see what you have to complain about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, actually i didnt care about what he pulled me over for, the tailgating me, was enough to get me irritated. The fact he lied about the law and tags irritated me, and the fact that i cant stand the little punk is another. Another thing, when he first initiated the stop he had no way of knowing my tag was out of date because he was facing the wrong direction. In oklahoma you have 30 days from the time the tag goes out, i checked today, before they can tow your vehichle.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a right to pull you over if your tags were expired. He's just doing his job and trying to make sure the people in his district are following the rules.

And the flashlight thing- my fiance does that (he's a cop) - they shine lights in the windows at night so that they can see in and be at an advantage in case someone tries to pull a gun or other weapon on them and they can see better inside the vehicle (you have to keep in mind a lot of vehicles have tinting and someone meaning to shoot a cop or do harm could do a lot of trouble if the cop could not see in well and be prepared to handle the situation- they can also check for other passengers/etc that way as well. They shine the light through the window to make it harder for the people in the vehicle to see out or to aim a weapon at them and at the same time it makes it easier for the officers to see in. He likely wasn't trying to blind you- just keep his safety in mind.

It is not fun to get pulled over- but they can not pull you over without a reason- his reason was your tags being expired.

What i do not think was right if i'm going based on your side of the story was the way he talked to you- sounds like he's got a bit of an ego going on and he's trying to show off his authority- i don't respect people who do that. He could have just as easily gotten his point across by being polite, yet firm. There was no need for the way he spoke to you when he first pulled you over.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

He had a right to pull you over if your tags were expired. He's just doing his job and trying to make sure the people in his district are following the rules.

And the flashlight thing- my fiance does that (he's a cop) - they shine lights in the windows at night so that they can see in and be at an advantage in case someone tries to pull a gun or other weapon on them and they can see better inside the vehicle (you have to keep in mind a lot of vehicles have tinting and someone meaning to shoot a cop or do harm could do a lot of trouble if the cop could not see in well and be prepared to handle the situation- they can also check for other passengers/etc that way as well. They shine the light through the window to make it harder for the people in the vehicle to see out or to aim a weapon at them and at the same time it makes it easier for the officers to see in. He likely wasn't trying to blind you- just keep his safety in mind.

It is not fun to get pulled over- but they can not pull you over without a reason- his reason was your tags being expired.

What i do not think was right if i'm going based on your side of the story was the way he talked to you- sounds like he's got a bit of an ego going on and he's trying to show off his authority- i don't respect people who do that. He could have just as easily gotten his point across by being polite, yet firm. There was no need for the way he spoke to you when he first pulled you over.
I agree with everything that she said.