Questions about my baby girl.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi

i have got my baby girl a month ago and she is now about 3 months old. i want to spray her and just wonder when is it a good time to get her sprayed? she only had 1 injection so far and i will take her to get her course done in the next few months. will that be too early/ late to get her sprayed soon after all her injection done?

also i reckon my little girl doesn't eat dried food. she have need eating soked dry food soon after she stopped being milked my her mother. i also give her steamed chicken once a day. even my vet told me that she should be able to eat the dried cat food. i saw her split out those hard bits that i mixed in her bowl. would anyone tell me how can i get her eat some dried food? since i am really worry about her teeth. although i brush her teeth once a day, she still have a little bit of bad breath. what can i do to maintain her dental health?

thanks for answering my questions.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for the dried food what brand are you feeding her? She may not like the brand you are feeding her...you can try to soften it a little bit and maybe mix it with a teaspoon of wet to help her eat it better, I try to have my cats spayed or neutered at 12 weeks of age. It sounds like you are doing a good job maintaing her dental health but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you with that!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. Actually your kitten does not need to eat dry food. It is now considered by most vets that the supposed advantages regarding dental health do not really exist. She would be better at her young age on a wet diet of canned kitten food, which will give her the nutrients she needs to grow healthily. If she likes it, you could also give her kitten milk once or twice a week. You can then gradually change her over to an adult diet, a mix of dry and wet. I give mine a meal of wet food twice a day, with a bowl of dry to nibble on as they like. Some prefer the dry, but most of them realy like the wet food, which also helps to keep them hydrated. With dry, you have to really make sure they drink a lot, and some cats don't like to do that. White chicken meat is good as a treat, but it does not contain enough nutrients to sustain a growing cat. I am sure you know not to give her cooked chicken bones, as these can splinter and cause damage to her insides. In the wild, cats eat only raw bones, which are OK as they are softer. Good luck, and please post a photo of your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this is my baby girl

she is so cute and i absolutely adores her
!!!

i am feeding both of my cat with innova ( the red one) . she doesn't have problem if the dried food is soften with water . but she doesn't like to eat the food dry and hard. i think water is important for them as well, so i got those water fountain hope that both of my cats will drink more water. will those cat canned food better than plain chicken meat? i sometimes feed them various applaws cat canned food. i only cook them chicken so that they can have more different kind of food and nutritions in their diet. ( and i am off these few days!!) i am actually so worry that she doesn't get enough nutritions because she only eats very little and i don't force feed her. my vet said that she was a bit under weight.
i am willing to buy/do whatever to get her eat more without force feeding her! but i don't know what to do to get her put more food in her tummy

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just don't like dry crunchy foods. It would be better to be feeding her canned kitten food rather then just boiled chicken. Talk with your vet on when to get her spayed. She could be done any time soon. If she's 3 months now, you don't want her to be coming into heat in another month or two and getting pregnant, so arrange the spay after she has the last shots (or when the vet will do it).

And what kind of dry food are you using? You might try some Royal Canin Kitten dry - its a lot smaller pieces that kittens are better able to handle.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am planning to get her sprayed after all the shots done as well. but will she come into the heat when she is only 3 months old? i certainly don't want more kitten since i have got my boy sprayed already when he was 4 months old. just wonder if i get her sprayed when she turn 5 months old (that's when all the shots done!) would she be too young to have the surgery? since i heard the female normally need longer time to heal than male. i got my boy spayed when he was 4 months old and he seemed to be perfectly ok! so i am wondering whether i should get my girl sprayed when she turn 5 months old or should i wait till she is 6-7 months old? i am definitely gonna get her sprayed, but i am really worry that getting sprayed in such young age will affect her health

also can any one tell me if anything i need to prepare for her surgery? thanks a lot !!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have spayed kittens at 8 weeks and 8 months old. The bottom line is that it gets done BEFORE the first heat cycle. The risk of cancer greatly decreases when the kitten is spayed before it goes into heat. I think that the younger the better because kittens recover MUCH faster then adults. She CAN go into heat as young as 4-5 months so do it before that period.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
8 weeks and 2lbs is the time many shelters and breeders do the spaying ...

She is a BEAUTY .... I also agree she may not like the food ... Putting water on dry food can cause a BACTERIA explosion if not eaten within like 30 minutes ... maybe try the canned version of Innova

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is SO cute!!

You can supplement regular wet food with human baby food, just make sure the baby food doesn't have garlic/onion/etc. in it. I used to feed Chloe baby food when she first came home, just the regular chicken stage 1 that Gerber makes. (You can't feed that all the time though as it doesn't have essential nutrients that cats/kittens need, like taurine). I personally think an all-wet diet is best but my kitten loves dry food so much more so I feed her 1/2 and 1/2 because otherwise she won't eat. (She's a bit small for her age also). Dry food won't help her teeth, so don't be worried if she doesn't eat it at all (as long as she eats something). Brushing her teeth for her is an excellent habit.

She can be spayed at 2 lbs, I think it's called a pediatric spay? Having a kitten spayed at a young age is much more common than it used to be and studies I think are showing that they actually bounce back faster than cats who are a bit older. Just make sure you do it *before* she goes into heat. Some cats can go into heat as young as 4 months. I had Chloe spayed at 5 1/2 months (4 lbs). I think early spaying is so popular because it allows shelters to adopt out kittens knowing that they won't reproduce because their new owners don't take care of them.

Congratulations on your little girl! What's her name? I can't wait to see more pictures of her as she grows up.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
than should i wait till she get all her shot done before i book for the surgery?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cattiew

than should i wait till she get all her shot done before i book for the surgery?
Your vet is the one to ask this question. I would call and ask his office what their usual protocol is.

Wetting down dry food is not a good idea - as the above poster said, there is a serious danger of bacteria. It would be much better to give the kitty the canned (wet) food. Wet food is better for them anyway.

If she is underweight, giving her kitten food would be a good idea. I also agree with the poster that suggested that maybe your kitty just doesn't like the particular brand of dry food you are giving her. I'm not sure where you live but maybe a local pet store has some sample pouches of different foods that you could try.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
since i have got 2 cats and my boy love eating canned food. its impossible for my to feed my girl with wet food without him coming to eat her food. i am not sure whether i should let my boy eat so much wet food. i always leave some dry food out for my boy to eat whenever he is hungry. should i start to both of them wet food? is wet food good for my boy as well? in fact i have lots of dry food sample, but it's my girl she doesn't like hard food (but she bite on other stuffs!!) she loves to eat those food if they are wet. but she just won't eat it when it is dry. what should i do? i am really worry they will not getting what they need if i keep feeding them wet food. is there any reason for us to feed them dry food? are they better for my babies?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how old

what brand

NO dry food is a convience for humans ... thank you to Jcat for this one... Have you ever seen a kibble tree in the wild??

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am giving innova for my babies. i am always worry about my babies and want to give the best to them. they are 6 months and 3 months respectively. what is the best for them? should i cook for them ? will the cat canned food good enough? i am feeding them applo and i have all favour available i have also bought natural logic and innova canned food as well... i can feed them wet food if it is better for them. i have tried a lot of other dried food and found that innova is the best. if i started to feed them wet food, what should i be aware of? will they overeat ? will any wet food harmful to them? any brands do good canned food?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

since i have got 2 cats and my boy love eating canned food. its impossible for my to feed my girl with wet food without him coming to eat her food. i am not sure whether i should let my boy eat so much wet food. i always leave some dry food out for my boy to eat whenever he is hungry. should i start to both of them wet food? is wet food good for my boy as well? in fact i have lots of dry food sample, but it's my girl she doesn't like hard food (but she bite on other stuffs!!) she loves to eat those food if they are wet. but she just won't eat it when it is dry. what should i do? i am really worry they will not getting what they need if i keep feeding them wet food. is there any reason for us to feed them dry food? are they better for my babies?
Wet food is actually healthier for your boy cat as it helps prevent crystals in their urine. Wet food is proving to be a healthier diet for our cats than was previously believed.

You also asked about cooking for them - unless you do research and know what additives you MUST put in their food for a proper diet, I would suggest you stick to commercial foods.

cattiew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if i am going to feed them wet food, do i need to feed them every meal? since i need to go to work, can leave the food there for them to eat in the afternoon? or should i get a automatic feeder for them? how many meals should i feed them each day?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

if i am going to feed them wet food, do i need to feed them every meal? since i need to go to work, can leave the food there for them to eat in the afternoon? or should i get a automatic feeder for them? how many meals should i feed them each day?
Offer the wet at first let them tell you once a day or three times a day.... The HOW LONG ?? is a long debated one on here... IMHO I try for no more than an hour ( was 30 minutes but Zoey eats slow)...

Are they free feed now???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed dry in the morning and canned at nite. I would not let canned food sit out for more then 1/2 hour. My guys eat their canned food within 10 mins at the most

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed them from separate dishes, give your boy a little more than the girl. and leave them to eat for 30 minutes or so. Then take the food away - it will keep inthe fridge for 12 hours if they don't eat it all. You will quickly find out how much they will eat at one meal. Feed them like that morning and evening, and leave them a bowl of dry food for snacking during hte day. As for brands, buy the best quality you can afford. Look at the lists of ingredients, and find one that has as little grain as possible, and is high in meat/fish proteins. But hte important thing right now is to get them to eat wet food regularly on the schedule that you can manage. And only give them chicken as an extra, once or twice a week. They don't need it if they are getting canned food - it has all the vitamins and minerals they need.