Recommend Steam Carpet Cleaner?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend me a good steam carpet cleaner? What options and features should I be looking for?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm researching this too - according to the online reviews, the Hoover SteamVac Silver is getting great reviews. I'm going to get one some time this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I would think things to look for are upholstery attachments for cleaning stairs/furniture, heated water (which this particular model doesn't actually have), easy to clean tanks and seperate tanks for clean and dirty water, and a powerful motor (12 amp instead of 7, in this case).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I'm researching this too - according to the online reviews, the Hoover SteamVac Silver is getting great reviews. I'm going to get one some time this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I would think things to look for are upholstery attachments for cleaning stairs/furniture, heated water (which this particular model doesn't actually have), easy to clean tanks and seperate tanks for clean and dirty water, and a powerful motor (12 amp instead of 7, in this case).
Haha I was reading up on that one as well. Let me know! I wouldn't be able to buy it till I get my tax return which is hopefully within the next week or so.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had a Hoover Steamvac since 2000. It's a great machine. We bought one of the more expensive models (I think it was $300 when we bought it) and it's held up great. We do need to get the hose for the handtool replaced. I think it got damaged while moving (we've moved a lot). My MIL has one that's even older. We bought ours because she liked hers so much.
It's been great for bad pet stains, but also when moving into new apartments. We've had several where they don't professionally clean between tenants.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the one i have is called hoover steamvac deluxe 12amp and i bought it in dec. 2000 for $180. with 9 cats and a husband i've used it weekly. i'm going to have to replace it pretty soon. it still works but not as good. but as often as i used it i'm surprised it lasted this long

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol you guys are all recommending me Hoovers, my other forum is all recommending me Bissells.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just finished using my Hoover SteamVac Silver!

The results are: I like it a lot! The amount of dirt it pulled out of my carpets is just gross
and it was pretty light (20lbs) and easy to use. I like that there are two tanks - one for clean and one for dirty water, and that they are relatively small, about a gallon. Sure it means more refills, but it also means its not as heavy to lug around doing the refills, which I thought was very difficult with the store rental types. It did take about two and a half talks (probably two and a half gallons) to do my relatively small living room, but I don't think it took me much more than 45 minutes total to do the whole room, including moving furniture and vacuuming and what not.

The carpets from the first area I did are already dry, which is great!

Its not as quiet as I was led to believe it might be by some of the online reviews, but it definitely is less noisy than my vacuum. The boys are still hiding from it though.
It got out some spots that have been in my carpet since I moved in though, with just a few roll overs and some extra cleaning solution. No pre-treating ahead of time, though I'm sure that would have helped too.

Very easy to clean out - I could do it all in my sink instead of having to go outside and use a hose. And its relatively small - I can put it in my understairs storage area.

So overall, two thumbs up!