Bad Encounters With Bad Doctors.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up Wednesday morning with a spider bite. I don't know for sure, but it's probably from a "non-poisonous" spider, but I'm allergic to non-poisonous spiders. It started out about 1/2" (1.27 cm)in diameter and is now about 1" (2.5 cm).

My doctor is good, so when I called Friday I was told I couldn't come in until Tuesday, and then I would see a nurse. "If it gets worse," I was told, "go to a walk-in clinic on the weekend."

This morning it is indeed worse, and my lymph glands on my neck hurt. The doctor at the clinic told me to put calamine lotion on it! Then he said it might be shingles, but then, no, it's a spider bite. He said it would take several weeks to get better! I asked if it could be a staph infection (common with spider bites) and he said he'd run a test that would take a week. If it's a staph infection, I could be in bad shape in a week's time!

Then he said see my doctor's office - the office that told me to go to him.

And the nurse I'm scheduled to see is the one who told me to "gargle" and sent me home when I was sick four years ago. I found out five days later, when I dragged myself once again to the doctor's office, that I had 95% hearing loss and pneumonia. I was very ill for six weeks. and it took over three months to get all of my hearing back. "Go gargle!!!"

What about you? Unload your bad doctor stories here!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a problem with a Dr too. Two years ago I had no energy at all and a fast heartbeat. i could do nothing but lay on he Sofa. I went to the for the Dr for the Chest Pain and Pain in my Shoulders and Neck. He did a Ekg and said I have Arthitis. No BloodTest or anything. A few days later I was worse so I went back and he was mad. Said the same thing. Then my Dr was back so I went to him. He did a Blood Test and it was Severe Anemia. I was so mad. I almost ended up in the Hospital because that idiot. All my Blood Tests were terrible. I still take 325 Iron Pills 2 times a day. We filed a comlaint against the Dr.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why would it take a week to determine if it was a staph infection? It only takes 24 hours to culture the bacteria to identify it especially with the equipment that they have now. That is so silly.

I had a dr that I went to most of my life but lately he had become really complacent and it was as if he didn't care anymore and so I decided to switch doctors and I have this wonderful lady who asks me so many questions about my health and gave me a lot of advice on stuff, especially with my birth control and I couldn't be happier.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when I was younger, I had to have surgery to remove a cyst on my ovary, and my ovary. Afterward, the nurses would get me up and I kept telling them I felt dizzy like I was going to pass out. They were just acting like I was a just a wuss or something and nothing was wrong. Finally they realized my bp was going down because I was bleeding internally, and the had to go back in to fix it. I was a lot luckier than another woman I read about in the paper who had that doctor do surgery on her though - he removed the wrong kidney!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had problems with a main doctor...usually they're highly recommended to me.

I did have an eye doctor (actually my last one) that I suspected was more trying to sell me the latest and greatest rather than correcting my vision.

For two years I had issues with seeing...I couldn't read street signs especially road names. He admitted that I had a slight astigmatism, but its not enough to need toric lenses. He put me in a great pair of contacts that I could actually see out of (Purevision). However at the time they only had the larger contact rather than the smaller that I normally wear. I wore these for a year not realizing this...after all he's the doctor.
After a year I was fed up. So when I went back he admitted that they were too big for me
I wasn't thrilled when I heard that. Againt, I had a "slight" astigmatism and was OK for the first month, but slowly over the past year my vision is back to the way it was before...not being able to read street signs, and I'm actually concerned driving at dusk now.

My new eye doctor confirmed my astigmatism. So in a week and half I go back to get fitted for toric lenses...I'm SOOOOOO excited. I will be able to see again

So he Rx me a new brand (again, latest and greatest), Acuvue Oasys Hydroclear. There are nothing wrong with the contacts themselves

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the worst doctor story I have is when I broke my arm. When the time came to take the cast off, the doctor cut my arm open with that little saw they use. I needed 14 stitches after that.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was with my obstetrition (sp?) when I gave birth to my oldest son.

I was induced with him because the Dr insisted I was almost 2 weeks past my due date.
When I was in labor they gave me an epidural for about an hour then shut it off so I could push. (This was 10yrs ago). When the Dr did the epesiotomy (sp? again ) it hurt! I screamed and cried when he did it too!
Well, he told me to push, I told him I couldn't because it was so painful (Mind you this was my first child and I was only 18) and he said "oh you can't feel that! "
I told him "You get your
up here and do this then!"

The Dr then pushed on the incision he made and I started crying again.. begging for him to stop. He grabbed my leg and forced it up to my chest and said "PUSH DAMMIT!" I was in so much pain, I kicked him!!

He walked out of the room and came face to face with my dad who heard everything from the hallway!
Needless to say, my father the minister, lost his religion that day!

The Dr came back in just as Justice's head was crowning and my ex-husband was standing there about to catch him!
His attitude was totally different and made sure my stay at the hospital was an extremely pleasent one and made sure I had my own private room and anything I wanted!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Mine was with my obstetrition (sp?) when I gave birth to my oldest son.

I was induced with him because the Dr insisted I was almost 2 weeks past my due date.
When I was in labor they gave me an epidural for about an hour then shut it off so I could push. (This was 10yrs ago). When the Dr did the epesiotomy (sp? again ) it hurt! I screamed and cried when he did it too!
Well, he told me to push, I told him I couldn't because it was so painful (Mind you this was my first child and I was only 18) and he said "oh you can't feel that! "
I told him "You get your
up here and do this then!"

The Dr then pushed on the incision he made and I started crying again.. begging for him to stop. He grabbed my leg and forced it up to my chest and said "PUSH DAMMIT!" I was in so much pain, I kicked him!!

He walked out of the room and came face to face with my dad who heard everything from the hallway!
Needless to say, my father the minister, lost his religion that day!

The Dr came back in just as Justice's head was crowning and my ex-husband was standing there about to catch him!
His attitude was totally different and made sure my stay at the hospital was an extremely pleasent one and made sure I had my own private room and anything I wanted!
Yeah, he was afraid you would complain to the hospital or sue!!

One experience I had was when my own doctor was out of town. I had a bad head cold which turned into a sinus infection. The only way I could get antibiotics was to go to one of the local big hospital clinics in my neighborhood. The doctor was SO rude. Why are you here, like I didn't really have a problem. He took a history, which includes high blood pressure. He told me to go to the drugstore and just get some Sudafed. Um, that is the absolute wrong thing for me to take b/c of my HBP and when I said that he just looked at me like I was stupid! I got my prescription for antibios... then wrote a note to the head of the clinic about this guy. Never heard from them... except for the bill.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I woke up Wednesday morning with a spider bite. I don't know for sure, but it's probably from a "non-poisonous" spider, but I'm allergic to non-poisonous spiders. It started out about 1/2" (1.27 cm)in diameter and is now about 1" (2.5 cm).

My doctor is good, so when I called Friday I was told I couldn't come in until Tuesday, and then I would see a nurse. "If it gets worse," I was told, "go to a walk-in clinic on the weekend."

This morning it is indeed worse, and my lymph glands on my neck hurt. The doctor at the clinic told me to put calamine lotion on it! Then he said it might be shingles, but then, no, it's a spider bite. He said it would take several weeks to get better! I asked if it could be a staph infection (common with spider bites) and he said he'd run a test that would take a week. If it's a staph infection, I could be in bad shape in a week's time!

Then he said see my doctor's office - the office that told me to go to him.

And the nurse I'm scheduled to see is the one who told me to "gargle" and sent me home when I was sick four years ago. I found out five days later, when I dragged myself once again to the doctor's office, that I had 95% hearing loss and pneumonia. I was very ill for six weeks. and it took over three months to get all of my hearing back. "Go gargle!!!"

What about you? Unload your bad doctor stories here!
I think that you should send your doctor a spider and a calendar in a nice Valentine's Day box.

The doctor at the clinic should get a spider, a calendar, a bottle of Calmine Lotion and some cotton balls in a nice Valentine's box.

Send the nurse, in a nice Valentine's box, the spider, the calendar, the Calamine Lotion, the cotton balls, salt, a gargle glass and ear plugs. Mark the date on the calendar three months hence so she will know when to take out the earplugs.

Feel better soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had better luck with nurse practitioners than drs ....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any really bad doctors, luckily. But I have had a couple that I can tell when I'm beyond what they know how to deal with. My GP who I confused and upset but luckily did make sure I saw a cardiologist the very next day, and an orthopedic surgeon who likely didn't see SI joint problems (arthritis) very often. I can't feel too annoyed at him, many doctors don't understand that area very well. But another doctor was able to see other things wrong from looking at the very same x-ray he did, I do wonder how he missed that.

My worst problems have been from dealing with my rheumatologist's staff. There are several complaints concerning how rude and unorganized her PA is in particular. The woman completely forgot to send my info for when and where my CT and MRI scans where... I got the info two days after I was supposed to have those scans - luckily the MRI place had called before and I already rescheduled. Another time she booked me for an appointment on a day the doctor wasn't even there.
130 mile trip for nothing.
The doctor is very sharp.. but I get the impression that she may be easily distracted (her staff took her cell away
).

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. I hope you feel better soon!!

For me it was going to the hospital. A few years ago I started running a fever. I don't know what cause it but my temp spiked up over 104 degrees and I had to get my hubby to come home from work (40 miles one way) and take me to the hospital (40 miles the other way). We ended up being there for 8 hours total.

They took urine and blood work and my temp. I never did get any medication or anything of that nature. Mike and I curled up on the bed and went to sleep. The blood and urine came back fine and then came the health questions. After asking me if I smoke (at the time I did) and if I ever had a sinus infection (Acute/chronic sinus infections for me, thank you!) the on call Doctor told me I had broncitus (sp) and sent me home. My temp was still around 100 degrees and I still looked like crap but home is where I went with no meds and no idea as to what made my temp spike so high.

Oh, and the nurse did try to tell me that it's normal for your temp to just jump up high for no reason and I should be fine. This was while she had to basically carry me to the bathroom for the urine test.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get better soon!!! sending for a quick and recovery!

Here is my bad doctor story!
My worst doctor came when I was 15 and lasted until I was 17. I started my first period at 11 years old, they were never normal I never knew when I was going to have one sometimes one every two months and then I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have one for 6 months. When I was 15 and still not having regular periods my mom took me to Jackie (thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what we will call her) she was a nurse practitioner. Jackie said this was completely normal and that my periods would eventually regulate, I started gaining weight for no apparent reason I ran 3-5 miles a day I was a vegetarian, I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eat sweets or drink soft drinks, there was no obvious reason for my weight gain. Mom took me back to Jackie we gave her a list of meals and daily activities told her my periods still werenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t regular and I had went from 120-135 in 1 month. Jackie said yes sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a bit on the chunky side and said I needed to lose weight I was getting fat and that my periods would eventually regulate. At 16 I had gained I was up to 160 very bad irregular periods 1 a year at that time. I was still running at eating healthy just gaining weight without a reason. I was also complaining of abdominal pain in the lower left side, Jackie said it was a period coming on that I had gotten fat and really needed to look into a better diet plan and again that my periods would regulate. By 17 I was up to 190lbs still eating healthy and working out as much as I could(it was getting harder with the weight gain) I told my mom that I would not go back to Jackie as I felt she didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know her hands from a hole in the ground. We began the search for a Doctor that had a brain. We found a wonderful Dr at a walk-in clinic and I made her my permanent doctor, she ran several blood tests looked over my charts and with-in two days had a diagnosis for me I have hypothyroidism and Polycystic Ovarian Disease, which explained the fact that Id had about 2 periods since I turned 15 the lower abdominal pain and my weight gain…I stayed with her until she took a leave to have her son…I still miss her she was an incredible doctor!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

I hope you get better soon!!! sending for a quick and recovery!

Here is my bad doctor story!
My worst doctor came when I was 15 and lasted until I was 17. I started my first period at 11 years old, they were never normal I never knew when I was going to have one sometimes one every two months and then I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have one for 6 months. When I was 15 and still not having regular periods my mom took me to Jackie (thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what we will call her) she was a nurse practitioner. Jackie said this was completely normal and that my periods would eventually regulate, I started gaining weight for no apparent reason I ran 3-5 miles a day I was a vegetarian, I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eat sweets or drink soft drinks, there was no obvious reason for my weight gain. Mom took me back to Jackie we gave her a list of meals and daily activities told her my periods still werenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t regular and I had went from 120-135 in 1 month. Jackie said yes sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a bit on the chunky side and said I needed to lose weight I was getting fat and that my periods would eventually regulate. At 16 I had gained I was up to 160 very bad irregular periods 1 a year at that time. I was still running at eating healthy just gaining weight without a reason. I was also complaining of abdominal pain in the lower left side, Jackie said it was a period coming on that I had gotten fat and really needed to look into a better diet plan and again that my periods would regulate. By 17 I was up to 190lbs still eating healthy and working out as much as I could(it was getting harder with the weight gain) I told my mom that I would not go back to Jackie as I felt she didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know her hands from a hole in the ground. We began the search for a Doctor that had a brain. We found a wonderful Dr at a walk-in clinic and I made her my permanent doctor, she ran several blood tests looked over my charts and with-in two days had a diagnosis for me I have hypothyroidism and Polycystic Ovarian Disease, which explained the fact that Id had about 2 periods since I turned 15 the lower abdominal pain and my weight gain…I stayed with her until she took a leave to have her son…I still miss her she was an incredible doctor!
Wow... no one did blood work or examined your belly? I would have to think that is borderline malpractice. Bloodwork is like a matter of standard practice. I have weight issues... and one of the first thing any dr does is look for hypothyroidism. Also runs in my family.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow... no one did blood work or examined your belly? I would have to think that is borderline malpractice. Bloodwork is like a matter of standard practice. I have weight issues... and one of the first thing any dr does is look for hypothyroidism. Also runs in my family.

Since I've been going in for annual checkups my docs [present and past] have always ran standard bloodwork, testing for diabetes, hyperthyroid, etc. I'm surprised they didn't do that!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally haven't had any real bad experiences, but the worst one I have heard of is from my best friend. Her mom was having a lot of female problems and ended up going in for a hysterectomy (sp?). She went through the surgery, went through the recovery period and was doing fine for a few years.
Then she started having problems again. She didn't really like the first doctor she went to she found another one.

Well, here she is diagonsed with cervical cancer, stage 4. My friend said "but, she doesn't have a cervix". The doctor said "oh yes, she does. She is fully intact" and showed her the x-rays and cat scans. The first doctor apparently opened her up and didn't remove ANYTHING. The cancer killed her about a year later.

They talked to a lawyer to start malpractice lawsuit proceedings. The lawyer said he would take the case, but to not expect anything because the doctor already had so many against him right now he wouldn't be able to pay for them all. Why was he still practicing???

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter was sent to a neurologist a few years ago to diagnose the reason for her back/leg pain. The neurologist had his little hammer,checking her reflexes....but she was sitting on the exam table with her legs stretched straight out in front of her! He tapped her knee and said..reflexes are fine!! I just looked at him in disbelief and asked him when did reflex reaction start being checked in that manner?? Usually the leg is bent and relaxed, not outstretched and stiff!! He just replied that "oh...I can tell!" We walked right out of that office, then and there. Our family physician was amazed after we told him what had happened.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I personally haven't had any real bad experiences, but the worst one I have heard of is from my best friend. Her mom was having a lot of female problems and ended up going in for a hysterectomy (sp?). She went through the surgery, went through the recovery period and was doing fine for a few years.
Then she started having problems again. She didn't really like the first doctor she went to she found another one.

Well, here she is diagonsed with cervical cancer, stage 4. My friend said "but, she doesn't have a cervix". The doctor said "oh yes, she does. She is fully intact" and showed her the x-rays and cat scans. The first doctor apparently opened her up and didn't remove ANYTHING. The cancer killed her about a year later.

They talked to a lawyer to start malpractice lawsuit proceedings. The lawyer said he would take the case, but to not expect anything because the doctor already had so many against him right now he wouldn't be able to pay for them all. Why was he still practicing???

He should be in jail!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Since I've been going in for annual checkups my docs [present and past] have always ran standard bloodwork, testing for diabetes, hyperthyroid, etc. I'm surprised they didn't do that!
Ab-sa-toot-lly!!!!