Cat Eye Condition

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats eyes is red throughout his whole eye. He was not born with it. It started when he was about a year old with just spots of red and as he grew older it got worse. The red now covers his whole eye except for his pupil, he is now 5 years old. The eye doesn't seem to bother him at all and it seems to me like his vision is not affected at all. The vet never said anything about it when I brought him in about a year ago for another incident. Does anyone know what this condition is?

I have a pic of it. This pic is from a while ago though, that little bit of green you see is now all red. Here is the pic:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

You didn't ask the vet what it was?

Laurie
I believe I did and she said I've seen cats with that, but I wasn't really worried about that at the time. I was more worried about another condition. He had urinary blockage and had to be un-blocked right away. I brought him in just in time they told me.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's another one:

It says that many of the iris melanosis do NOT become melanomas, but IF they do, then there's a 60% chance the melanoma will be malignant. Here's that link: http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cateye.h...oma%20in%20eye

So it seems it's something you should get kitty to the vet every year for a check-up. If there's a small animal opthamologist in your area, that might be a good idea every once in a while.

Laurie

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the links.

Reading those gave me a scare. I'll definitely bring him to the vet now.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iris melanosis.

I'd ask for a referral to a veterinary opthalmologist as the melanosis seems to have progressed quite a bit.

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really nervous after looking this condition up. My cat's whole eye is covered, not just freckles. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, but I'm afraid it will get worse. I hope everything will be alright after I bring him to the vet. I love this cat so much, I would be absolutely devastated if something was to happen to him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But you also read in all of those places that it doesn't hurt kitty. And that he's not bothered by it would seem to verify that.

It seems a visit to an opthamalogist would be a good idea. Sending vibes that all is OK and it's still just the melanosis.

Please let us know what happens, OK?

Laurie