Cats and Socks

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is up with cats and socks?

One of my cats will sometimes take a pair of socks out of the basket with his mouth, put it down and then meow at it.

viridianqunayir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's too cute!

I wonder, have you ever played fetch with him? My two girls will chase anything (and I do mean anything) if I throw it far and fast enough.

Or maybe he is attracted to the detergent/softener of the socks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never tried playing fetch with him maybe I will try one day.

He is even more obsessed with bottle caps. When he sees me twisting a cap off a bottle he stares at me. When he gets a hold of one he will hit it all around the house. Sometimes I will throw one in the air and he will catch it with his paws.
He loves his bottle caps.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...cats will do strange things. My cats don't bother our clean socks, but Little One will pick up a dirty sock and carry it in her mouth with it dragging behind her and sleep with it like it was her security blanket.
Now, when I was growing up, our dog used to EAT dirty socks, so this is an improvement.

Maybe she meows at it to get it to play with her.

Oh, and my cats LOVE bottle caps too! Anything that makes noise while being batted around is their idea of heaven. Try tearing off tin foil and roll it into a ball. Mine go crazy for them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatcat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Awww...cats will do strange things. My cats don't bother our clean socks, but Little One will pick up a dirty sock and carry it in her mouth with it dragging behind her and sleep with it like it was her security blanket.
Now, when I was growing up, our dog used to EAT dirty socks, so this is an improvement.

Maybe she meows at it to get it to play with her.

Oh, and my cats LOVE bottle caps too! Anything that makes noise while being batted around is their idea of heaven. Try tearing off tin foil and roll it into a ball. Mine go crazy for them!
Ya I've done the tin foil thing too. My cats love it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fatcat27

What is up with cats and socks?

One of my cats will sometimes take a pair of socks out of the basket with his mouth, put it down and then meow at it.
My cats like to hide one of my socks, leaving me with just one.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I made a couple of sock toys after stuffing them with shopping bags and cutting off most of the extra sock. So far the cats love them and have left our feet alone but I do worry that might not last, lol. If they want to start dragging empty socks around that would be ok with me, its only my toes I worry about.

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is nothing new to me, because my cats have gotten ahold of dirty ones, bound for the washing machine, and rolled around the floor with them, like they were catnip--it must be something in the odor of the sock!
Melanie

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry to laugh but I think it maybe the smell. Seriously!
Don`t quote me on this but when feet get sweaty the natural bacteria or something on the feet that is produced is the same that is produced when cheese is made and most cats love cheese!

Maisie had a thing about my flip-flops last summer. When I took them off she`d have her paws in them like she was trying to wear them then she would sniff and roll around on them and have a mad 5 minutes.

I`m sure that was foot smells ( Not that I could smell anything!
) but she doesn`t do it with my winter shoes.

I`m sure they do weird stuff just to keep us wondering

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is absolutely obsessed with feet and footwear - tbh it's one of his least endearing quirks, because he won't leave your feet alone, just pesters and pesters them at every opportunity! He's always nicking socks out of the laundry bin, tries to remove them from feet by hooking his claws into the fabric and pulling, and he rubs his entire body over shoes and rolls all over them looking ecstatic!

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, this reminds me of a cat I used to pet-sit. He was not a particularly touchy-feely boy as he was an outside kitty who just came to be fed and let inside for the night. However, when I cared for him the first time his daddy warned me that the first sign that he is missing the family will be socks that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be finding around the house… and around that time he might be more accepting of cuddles…
And about the 2-3rd day into pet sitting that would start happening. It would always be only dadâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s socks, nobody elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s would do. (He would always leave a few so Max could find them with some work on his part when heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d get lonely at night). Couple of times I would catch him red pawed nuzzling his face into the socks behind the sofa when he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hear me coming in the morning - and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d actually act embarrassed, and immediately abandon the socks when observed. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d found them stashed into sofa cushions and half-tucked under rugs… Poor tough-guy Max

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

Oh no, this reminds me of a cat I used to pet-sit. He was not a particularly touchy-feely boy as he was an outside kitty who just came to be fed and let inside for the night. However, when I cared for him the first time his daddy warned me that the first sign that he is missing the family will be socks that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be finding around the house… and around that time he might be more accepting of cuddles…
And about the 2-3rd day into pet sitting that would start happening. It would always be only dadâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s socks, nobody elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s would do. (He would always leave a few so Max could find them with some work on his part when heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d get lonely at night). Couple of times I would catch him red pawed nuzzling his face into the socks behind the sofa when he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hear me coming in the morning - and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d actually act embarrassed, and immediately abandon the socks when observed. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d found them stashed into sofa cushions and half-tucked under rugs… Poor tough-guy Max
That is such a sweet story - his family making sure that he had socks to find when they were away knowing that he would want them, now that is love