Any singers out there?

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sing a bit but I want to get better. I want to learn how to add vibrato and more complex things like that to my vocals. Is there anyone here who sings who might be able to give me a couple pointers?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not contact your local university music department and see if there are any grad students majoring in voice who are willing to tutor you? You can often find a grad student willing to take the job at a lesser price than a professional.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to sing and have sung at the local performances at our swim club.

Our daughter, who is in college took chorus and voice lessons. I emailed her and will let you know if she has any suggestions.

Rosemary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not contact your local university music department and see if there are any grad students majoring in voice who are willing to tutor you? You can often find a grad student willing to take the job at a lesser price than a professional.
Yeah that's a good idea. I'll try that and see if I can find anyone. Thanks.

Originally Posted by butzie

I love to sing and have sung at the local performances at our swim club.

Our daughter, who is in college took chorus and voice lessons. I emailed her and will let you know if she has any suggestions.

Rosemary
That would be great. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to sing!!! I should actually call it "making a joyful noise" because I always get funny looks and sometimes get things thrown at me

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh come on I'm sure your not that bad. Personally, I wasn't much of a singer until a couple months ago. Everyone kept telling my I have a great voice but I never really developed it until recently. And I always thought I wasn't much of a singer so I didn't do it much (at least no in front of other people).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you aiming for the more clean wide/high range that is in a lot of prog metal? If that's the case you may want to try looking around for someone who is a retired metal/rock vocalist but is now primarily a vocal coach.
(side note - anyone remember the Mythbuster's episode with the guy that broke the wine glass with his voice?
)

As for vibrato, I believe that's actually frowned on if you're learning proper singing technique. It's more of something that added in because it sound pleasing to our ears. Supposedly it can mess up a person's vocal cords though?

Somewhat unrelated... but I recently discovered I can easily do a black metal rasp growl.
No one will ever hear that, though.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are you aiming for the more clean wide/high range that is in a lot of prog metal? If that's the case you may want to try looking around for someone who is a retired metal/rock vocalist but is now primarily a vocal coach.
(side note - anyone remember the Mythbuster's episode with the guy that broke the wine glass with his voice?
)
Yeah I'm looking for a sound kind of like that of James LaBrie of Dream Theater. I can sing mostly mid range like him and I can hit extremely high notes like him but I'm not always in tune when I go high.

As for vibrato, I believe that's actually frowned on if you're learning proper singing technique. It's more of something that added in because it sound pleasing to our ears. Supposedly it can mess up a person's vocal cords though?
Yeah I've heard some horror stories about it too. But I still think it is a good technique to learn. I just find that it adds so much to the music.

Somewhat unrelated... but I recently discovered I can easily do a black metal rasp growl.
No one will ever hear that, though.
Well unless you go see a teacher for that, i would advise against it. A friend of mine thought he could do it so he did it with his band for about a year and now he can barely talk. The bands that use that actually have a lot of skill to not destroy they vocal chords.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe LaBrie is operatically trained? ...In fact I think most of the really good prog and power vocalist have some opera training. If that's what you're aiming for you're going to need a lot of training.

Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Well unless you go see a teacher for that, i would advise against it. A friend of mine thought he could do it so he did it with his band for about a year and now he can barely talk. The bands that use that actually have a lot of skill to not destroy they vocal chords.
I know and agree.
It's just something I do with a song or two when bored -surprisingly it doesn't make my throat hurt like trying to sing clean, nor do I get dizzy(related to another problem I have).

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do believe LaBrie is operatically trained? ...In fact I think most of the really good prog and power vocalist have some opera training. If that's what you're aiming for you're going to need a lot of training.
Yes James is operatically trained. I hope I can find someone who is a good teacher. I know someone from my high school and maybe she can teach me a bit but I don't think she has the full operatic sound I'm hoping for. But maybe I'll get lucky and stumble upon someone who can teach me
. I hope to start training by this summer so I can get my band rolling. Right now it looks like I'm going to be lead guitar and lead vocals. Nobody else seems to want the part.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter emailed me with this for you:

I'm not sure how to add the vibrato(I just do it sometimes) but here are some of the things I've been working on: to warm up, vibrate your lips. Like making the car noise thing. And sing through that. It helps a lot. If she's having trouble with breathing, place a hand on the diaphram, that way she can sing to it and know she's using it. There's also this "eu" sound that sounds like a little bit nasilier "ew" sound thats good for warming up cause it clears out the sinasus and stuff like that. If she's trying to get more sound, actually put a fingure in front of the mouth is good for that. Sing to the fingure and that way there is more sound(don't know why, but there is). Thats all I can think of right now.

Hope it helps.