My Grandpa got into a fight with a table saw....

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and the table saw won.

Just to clarify, this is not the grandpa that just went through the whole ordeal with cancer, this is my Dad's father.

Anyway, late last night he was cutting some boards for some farm project and the board slipped and he got his left hand into the saw.
His pinky was mangled something awful, his ring finger completely gone, his middle finger cut halfway through the second joint and his pointer finger gashed badly. The hospital didn't have anyone equipped to do the extensive surgery that he needed so they flew him by jet to Indianapolis to a really great hand surgeon for eight long hours of surgery. He got out of surgery around one this afternoon and is doing really great. They managed to save all of the fingers (except the ring finger of course) and he really hasn't had a lot of pain.

Now, he's 71 years old, and just thinks this is funny. Laugh to keep from crying I guess? He just keeps saying it could have been worse and its no big deal. He even had us take pictures last night before they flew him off!! (anyone into the gruesome??)
He's a tough old man and is ready to pack his bags and come home tonight, but he'll have to stay until at least Monday.

Anyway, as lightly as this all seems to be taken, heal quickly vibes would be appreciated. He's a trooper. Walked into the ER with his hand in a towel...I would have been passed smooth out. lol I don't mean to make this sound like I'm joking about it, because it scared us all to death, but he's keeping us laughing and in good spirits. He's even trying to get us to call him "Slingblade"
. You can't help but laugh...as twisted as it may seem.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago my grandpa done something almost identical and was the same way
He just blew it all off as a simple experience and said now he knew that hand and saw dont mix he lost his pinky and half of his ring finger from the event I am sending some quick healing his way!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
holy cow! that sounds soo painful! many vibes headed his way that his hand heals up soon
I bet you about had a heart attack!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

Many years ago my grandpa done something almost identical and was the same way
He just blew it all off as a simple experience and said now he knew that hand and saw dont mix he lost his pinky and half of his ring finger from the event I am sending some quick healing his way!!
My Dad bought him an Indianapolis magnet at the gas station and told him to put it on his saw to remind him to be more careful!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

holy cow! that sounds soo painful! many vibes headed his way that his hand heals up soon
I bet you about had a heart attack!
Thanks Nikki! It looks like it would be awful but he swears it hasn't hurt hardly at all. He has feeling in it and everything but he said it just aches and hasn't ever really hurt. I can't imagine!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh GOOD LORD!! Many many healing vibes

Men are funny though. It seems like if an accident happens involving power tools, it makes their "man value" go up or something. I'm not make light of your grandfather's accident but my uncle was the same way. He cut his middle finger off right above the second knuckle while trying to fix a fan. He actually drove himself to the hospital (instead of calling my aunt) with his hand wrapped in a towel. Actually, he said it didn't hurt at all because it severed his nerve endings and his hand went into shock. He was just like "wow...my finger is gone. Guess I should go to the hospital...."

But, that is great that he is making jokes about it. And, it is awesome the doctors were able to save 3 of the fingers.

And, I think an injury from a table saw has more "man value point" than an injury from a fan blade, so your grandfather should be proud

(Seriously, I do hope he gets better soon, and his recovery is easy. I just had to share that because your grandfather reminds me SO much of my uncle. I would have passed out too if it was me!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like my dad when he got into a fight with a falling skill saw. He was laughing & joking about it!

Healing

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouchie! I hope he's feeling better soon!

It's wonderful that he's in such good spirits! I was a little girl when my Great Uncle was in an auto accident and lost a few fingers. I have vague memories of him joking about it as well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your grandpa sounds like my dad - he was a butcher and had a lot of interesting accidents over the years. They broke the mold when they made people like your grandpa and my dad - tough old birds that will make a joke of anything that happens to them.

Sending you very strong healing your grandpa's way. He won't ask for help and we'll just have to sneak it towards him!!

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he feels better soon.

This worries me, though. My boyfriend wants a table saw really badly. We have got a few home improvement projects coming up, and we already have a radial arm saw. The table saw scare me.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

and the table saw won.

Just to clarify, this is not the grandpa that just went through the whole ordeal with cancer, this is my Dad's father.

Anyway, late last night he was cutting some boards for some farm project and the board slipped and he got his left hand into the saw.
His pinky was mangled something awful, his ring finger completely gone, his middle finger cut halfway through the second joint and his pointer finger gashed badly. The hospital didn't have anyone equipped to do the extensive surgery that he needed so they flew him by jet to Indianapolis to a really great hand surgeon for eight long hours of surgery. He got out of surgery around one this afternoon and is doing really great. They managed to save all of the fingers (except the ring finger of course) and he really hasn't had a lot of pain.

Now, he's 71 years old, and just thinks this is funny. Laugh to keep from crying I guess? He just keeps saying it could have been worse and its no big deal. He even had us take pictures last night before they flew him off!! (anyone into the gruesome??)
He's a tough old man and is ready to pack his bags and come home tonight, but he'll have to stay until at least Monday.

Anyway, as lightly as this all seems to be taken, heal quickly vibes would be appreciated. He's a trooper. Walked into the ER with his hand in a towel...I would have been passed smooth out. lol I don't mean to make this sound like I'm joking about it, because it scared us all to death, but he's keeping us laughing and in good spirits. He's even trying to get us to call him "Slingblade"
. You can't help but laugh...as twisted as it may seem.
Wow I hope he's ok!

He sounds like my dad.. He once "axed" himself in the leg with an axe. He didn't even go to the Dr. He sewed it up himself
He joked about it the whole time

But sometimes humor makes it easier to heal!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

...Men are funny though. It seems like if an accident happens involving power tools, it makes their "man value" go up or something....
LOL!

And the older you get, the more you can put things in perspective. I'm going to guess that out of all the things that have happened to your grandpa in his life, this was not the biggest.
Hope he has a speedy recovery and is more careful around the power tools.

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
omg what is it with men and saws my grandpa, rest his soul, did that years ago. i dont remember what he thought he was trying to do, but he actually acted proud of it. and my pa litterally scalped himself while using a chainsaw to cut firewood. He just stuck his dirty hat back on and wanted to keep working but my mom had a fit and made him go get stitched up.

on another note, a few years ago we had a teenager in town that actually video taped himself and his buddies do that on purpose. cut off his index finger, when he got to the hospital they couldnt keep their story straight and one still had the video camera, so the police got called, after he was fixed up they actually arrested him, and tried to have him commited, when the police viewed the video tape it showed him talking of his plan to take off all but his middle finger and showed the other guys holding his hand under the saw while he lowered the running saw onto it!

anyway i hope he feels better soon and stays away from power tools!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just LOVE your grandpa's attitude!

You can either find humor in a bad situation and go on to your next project, or you can sit around whining and complaining and feeling "usless" - your grandpa chose the first way.

DH wants to know if he finished cutting the board?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slingblade
Oh my goodness, he sounds like a card! If you think about it though, he's getting old and to fret and be disstressed about something so simple (compaired to his 71 years of life) is worthless. I'm sure he was a little upset, but he's been through so much more and what's a finger after 71 years?

to him healing well.

One of our good horse friends did just about the same thing your grandpa did. Cut his ring figner and half of his middle finger clean off. He still builds and cuts wood

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Men are funny though. It seems like if an accident happens involving power tools, it makes their "man value" go up or something.

And, I think an injury from a table saw has more "man value point" than an injury from a fan blade, so your grandfather should be proud
Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Men

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We just LOVE your grandpa's attitude!

You can either find humor in a bad situation and go on to your next project, or you can sit around whining and complaining and feeling "usless" - your grandpa chose the first way.

DH wants to know if he finished cutting the board?
I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if he did! He's already been talking about getting home to finish whatever it was he was doing.

Something I forgot to mention earlier...the finger that he lost--he didn't bring it with him to the hospital. He said he didn't want them to sew it back on
anyway, last night he asked Dad if he found it when he went to pack his things. Dad said no so now Grandpa is convinced that "the coon dog got his finger". He thinks THAT is hillarious!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats Terrible My Dad chopped his finger off in a lawn mower when he was a kid. They put it back on and you can still see the Scar. I hope your Grandpa feels better.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your grandpa is tough. I'm glad they were able to get most of his fingers saved.