I need someone who can figure doseages...

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My shih-tzus get 1 tsp(5ml) of benadryl a day the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCI 12.5mg in every 5ml tsp for the Liquid, in the chewable pill form it says Active ingredient is Dipenhydramine HCI 12.5mg in every tablet, I think that means that one tablet equals one teaspoon...Am I right?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

My shih-tzus get 1 tsp(5ml) of benadryl a day the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCI 12.5mg in every 5ml tsp for the Liquid, in the chewable pill form it says Active ingredient is Dipenhydramine HCI 12.5mg in every tablet, I think that means that one tablet equals one teaspoon...Am I right?
I recomend that you check with your Vet. I wasn't sure how much medication to give my kitten and I picked up the phone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet has said that one tsp is ok I just cannot get them to take the liquid more of it gets on me then in them
I was just making sure that one tablet is equal to one tsp

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just put in a call to the clinic and someone is supposed to call me back with an answer I am almost 100% positive its the same thing I just want to make sure...

Edit: The DR just called me back and said its purrfectly fine...as long as he was taking the liquid with the same active ingredient fine then the pill is fine as well!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NOTE the inactive ingrediants ... YOU MAY not want to give the tablet vs liquid...

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! One teaspoon is the dosage for a 12 yr old child! You'd thing the dosage for a small dog would be much less....

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know but the vet told me it was perfectly safe and we have been giving liquid to them it works with my older Shih-Tzu Max but not so well with chase he just spits it everywhere!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

i have read you can give a dog Benadryl at 1mg per pound of the dog.
That is what the doggy dermatologist told us...we have an allergy Newfoundland. She is obviously much larger, so she gets 125 mg of Benadryl when needed. (we don't use it often 'cuz she is on prescription strength antihistamine)

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dosage is the same..and sometimes, a bit easier to give; you can crack that pill open and drizzle the powder over his wet food, mix it in, and VOILA...dogs get their meds!

For those who are interested...
The dosage for dogs is 2-4 mg per kg or 2.2 lbs.
For cats it is actually higher at 4-8 mg per kg...

This per Merricks veterinary manual, and my old vet...I say 'old' because we had to move...

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Wow! One teaspoon is the dosage for a 12 yr old child! You'd thing the dosage for a small dog would be much less....
You'd 'think' however, their digestive tracts absorb differently than ours...thus the need for more...

In goats (which I have raised for many years) med dosages are MUCH higher than in dogs and cats (atleast oral ones tend to be) because of their rumanent status...they often absorb things 'too quickly' so you have to give more, in order to ensure proper absorbtion.