London in March, Need hotel ideas

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I know there are a lot of people from the UK on this website, so I need some help. A girlfriend and I are taking a trip to London the end of March and are looking for a B&B. Does anyone have any ideas? We have been looking at:
St Margaret's Hotel (is it still there?)
The Main House
Columbia Hotel
We'd like to have a bathroom.
Anyone?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...last time I was in London my friend and I stayed near Paddington Station. However it was a local hotel we stayed in. Very lovely though, offered full breakfasts.

However it was 6 years ago and I can barely picture the street or the room. All I remember is that it was clean and decent for $65.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marine

Hello,
I know there are a lot of people from the UK on this website, so I need some help. A girlfriend and I are taking a trip to London the end of March and are looking for a B&B. Does anyone have any ideas? We have been looking at:
St Margaret's Hotel (is it still there?)
The Main House
Columbia Hotel
We'd like to have a bathroom.
Anyone?
Hi, Marine.

Try www.tripadvisor.com

Great site! I am an official "expert" for my hometown.
The London forums are fab-you-luss!!!! Last time we were there we stayed at the Darlington - near Paddington. We liked it a lot, but you will get a whole bunch of insight from the written reviews and from the forum participants to find just what you need within your budget.

AB

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I have been to London 3 times, the first time when she was just 12. We stayed at a lovely B&B at the Parson's Green underground station. The proprietors, Jenny and Peter Littlehales, took us under their wing, so to speak. We would never stay anywhere else. We had a great room with twin beds and a bath. Great breakfasts.
Unfortunately, they are off on a major holiday trip starting 2/11. I am going to email them now to get their return date and any recommendations for other places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We saw that the St Margaret's was highly rated in the guidebooks. My friend called, but had a hard time understanding the lady on the phone (I always think "please slow down, I speak American, not English"). We heard that they were closed, we heard that they moved - the woman was supposed to have emailed some info to my friend but didn't. So were stuck. We don't want to book our flight until we know we have rooms booked. I know March is not the big time of year for tourists, but we don't want to be stuck without a room! Does anyone know if it in fact is open?
Or does anyone know anything about the Vandon House??

kittypaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been to London too - to see a west end show!

We stayed at the Oxford Hotel, very nice there and not to far away from shops and banks, or even Mcdonalds/Burger King
Its at Earl's Court,

If you get off at Kings Cross station, you can easily go to the underground right out of the station - And get the Piccadily Line to Earl's court easy

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never been to trip advisor before. I don't need a big room or even a quiet room, but insist on a clean room. The reviews here help. I realize they are written by the extremes (loved it / hated it) but it gives me a feel, which is the best I can do when I am booking from this far away with no "inside" help!
Thanks. If you think of anything else I should look at, let me know!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you see the pictures that one guest posted a link to?.

I'm the same when it comes to rooms. As long as the room and bathroom is clean that's fine for me because you only need it to sleep and change in.

The first thing i always do when i get to my room is look at the bathroom and turn back the bedding to make sure the sheets are crisp and clean

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'm the same when it comes to rooms. As long as the room and bathroom is clean that's fine for me because you only need it to sleep and change in.

The first thing i always do when i get to my room is look at the bathroom and turn back the bedding to make sure the sheets are crisp and clean
Trust Susan...
We call her Hazel.

If there is dirt, she will find it.

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Susan and I must drive the maids mad.
I was in Germany in 2003. Stayed in 7 different hotels and none of them had sheets that had me running to the door, so that was good.
I have been looking on line for several hours now. My eyes have gone buggy. I've been looking for so long now that even Pooh got up from his 5 hour nap to see what I was doing.
I have to set my alarm for 7am (darn the time difference) so that I can speak to the reservation desk at two places. Then I think I will just flip a coin!
I have also learned that while the US may think itself a "superpower", there doesn't seem to be much power in the dollar right now. My dollar isn't worth much in the UK at the moment. Why did I decide on London anyway? Oh yeah, I have to hunt down Jamie Oliver and give him a big kiss!
Boy did I have a crush on him when The Naked Chef first started airing in the US.
What was I talking about? Oh yeah, hotels. Wish me luck!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most places have email/websites so don't worry about the time difference.
Yes, the dollar is really down. Prepare for sticker shock.
If you go to a very cosy B&B, you might want to take something from your hometown as a gift. I recommend something like a dish towel with Arizona symbols on it or even just postcards showing the beauty of where you live. It is fun to make the connection.

Please see my PM about the B&B at Parson's Green.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look slightly outside central London for B&Bs too, there are subways and buses that are just 20 minutes into the city and you will save a lot of money on not staying in central London

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marine

Why did I decide on London anyway? Oh yeah, I have to hunt down Jamie Oliver and give him a big kiss!
Boy did I have a crush on him when The Naked Chef first started airing in the US.
He's " Pukka!! "

let us know what you decide

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I drove myself batty when I was trying to nail down lodging in London. Bottom line is that you won't be spending much time there anyhoo. London is also a walking town... and it is sooooo much fun. If the dollar were in better shape, I would consider going back.

And don't hesitate to join TripAdvisor and post questions on the London forum. I'm telling you... people are great there. They have pub meet-ups and stuff like that. Really, it was a very good experience.