When should we have our housewarming party??? Need opinions!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, quick question! We are moving into our new home this week. Actually just about everything is moved in now (Colin's got about 2 more hauls and then all of the garage things will be moved- the rest is already here). I'm still unpacking and have a lot left to do.

We're getting married on March 29 and our wedding shower is Feb. 29. I'm trying to figure out when we should to our housewarming party! I wanted to invite just a few of our family,friends,and coworkers over to have dinner maybe and see the new place but i think i might should wait until after we wedding as things are a little crazy right now. That way i'd have time to set up the new house as well too.

What do you guys think? Should i do it before the wedding or after the wedding? I've never done one before so i'm not sure really what it all involves!
Everyone has been asking to see it though- so i'd love to maybe have everyone over for dinner sometime!
any ideas????

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I reckon do it on a weekend before the wedding, and just have pizza and make it a relaxed thing.

Oooh or maybe you can have 2? A laidback one now so everyone can see it, then a dinner party, or more "formal" housewarming after the wedding once everything is unpacked and you guys are more settled?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you having the wedding shower in your home? If you are you could make it a dual party... unless you really want to separate parties. Or if they have to be because the shower is elsewhere, I think I'd wait until after the wedding. There's not much time between now and Feb. 29th and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else the month before the wedding... too hectic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I reckon do it on a weekend before the wedding, and just have pizza and make it a relaxed thing.

Oooh or maybe you can have 2? A laidback one now so everyone can see it, then a dinner party, or more "formal" housewarming after the wedding once everything is unpacked and you guys are more settled?
I think we might wait until after the wedding and just do one but i'm not entirely sure yet. Not to sound silly, but are housewarming parties supposed to be more formal?
I was thinking of doing a low key one -maybe pizza some appetizers, margaritas, stuff like that for it. Would that be appropriate or would that be a bad idea?

Originally Posted by twstychik

Are you having the wedding shower in your home? If you are you could make it a dual party... unless you really want to separate parties. Or if they have to be because the shower is elsewhere, I think I'd wait until after the wedding. There's not much time between now and Feb. 29th and I wouldn't want to be doing anything else the month before the wedding... too hectic.
The wedding shower is going to be at a church, so the dual party thing although a good idea wouldn't workin this case. I think i might do it after the wedding - maybe after the honeymoon and we get settled in a little
I'm afraid if we do it before the wedding it's going to be too crazy with everything else doing on at the moment! I'm still not sure yet though!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until after the wedding. Get the house moving completed first.
Don't you want to the have your wedding presents put to use too??

I always though housewarming parties are a low key kind of event.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say a month or so after your wedding so you have time to get settled after the wedding and fully moved in and somewhat relaxed.... Remember you have to find space for all the wedding gifts, that may take a while!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I would say a month or so after your wedding so you have time to get settled after the wedding and fully moved in and somewhat relaxed.... Remember you have to find space for all the wedding gifts, that may take a while!
Oh no! I didn't even think about the fact that i'll have to find space/set up the wedding gifts
(although that's a good thing!) Thankyou ladies for reminding me! (See, this is exactly why i wanted to get TCS opinions!
Ya'll think of everything!) I think i might wait till a little while after the wedding and do a low key get together and keep it pretty casual maybe
I'll have to make some yummy food for it

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definatly do after then. I think they can be as formal or informal as you want. I personally would perfer something like you described.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd wait till after the wedding! That way you have time to get everything settled and decorated more like you'd like it! It'll be in better shape to show everyone. It say wait till about a month or so after the wedding.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have enough on your plate right now, Nikki...you'll make yourself nuts trying to plan a housewarming party, too. I'd wait until after the wedding.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wait house warming party, means having people over?
hmm how about have in 60 years or so eheh. but then again i am not a social person.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, don't have another party now. A housewarming party is just an excuse to get friends together. Wait until after you are married and the dust has settled. On the invitation, make sure you say something like "we request your presence, not presents."

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wait until after the wedding and instead of calling it a "house warming party", I would just tell people they were invited to a small informal dinner party.

You are having a shower and a wedding and most likely it will be the same people invited, and when people are invited to a "house warming party", they feel obligated to buy a gift for the new house. Chances are these same people are already buying you a shower gift (probably stuff for the house), and giving money at the wedding if you have presentation, or a gift then too.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

How exciting Nikki! So many fun things going on!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, after the wedding would probably be best. First of all, the month before the wedding will be crazy, and add unpacking on top of it you will probably be losing your mind!! Second, it will give you something to look forward to after the wedding. I know, after my wedding I was like..."now what"? I spent a year planning and thinking about it and after it was over it I had NOTHING to look forward to (yeah, I know, a lifetime with my husband and all that...but you know what I mean
) Give yourself some time to get settled in and get the house the way you want it, then throw the party.

It doesn't even have to be a dinner party, unless you want it to. I had a nice get together over Christmas that started at 7:30 and just had a bunch of finger foods and it was a hit. And, I think people were more relaxed since it wasn't "dinner" and it was so much easier on us!

BTW, are we invited? I'll bring the Margaritta mix!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas everyone! You guys had some great ideas!

I was mainly wanting something kind of informal and casual so everyone who had been asking could some see the new house once we get it all set up!
(i was thinking maybe finger foods/etc something fun and light! Definitely margaritas!
)

I definitely wouldn't be expecting presents/etc since it'll likely be after the wedding! Just wanting a fun little casual party where everyone can mix and mingle and see the new digs!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'd say after the wedding. You've got a lot on your mind with that, AND moving and setting up house. Take a breather, and I think you'll enjoy the house-warming much more.

A house-warming doesn't need to be formal. I'd suggest a simple buffet/party platters/pizza, finger desserts (nice cookies, bite-size desserts), and drinks. Buy pretty (but sturdy) paper plates, plastic cups, and matching paper napkins, and heavy-duty (usually clear) plastic utensils. Set out some pretty, scented candles, a large bunch of fresh flowers as a centerpiece for the buffet table, provides some seating (and start a fire in the fireplace, if you have one), some soft background music on CD/tape), and just relax, and have fun. Keep the food to only one room (maybe your kitchen, if you have an island?).

Check Christopher Lowell's The Hassle-Free Host for a lovely pizza buffet, served in the kitchen, if you want pizza.

You may want to dress up a tiny bit; not jeans, but something casual, yet elegant.

Best of luck! Your post brought back memories of my Christmas/house-warming party, held 11 months AFTER I bought my house! (I wouldn't suggest waiting THAT long, though!)

You must be sooooo excited!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I'd say after the wedding. You've got a lot on your mind with that, AND moving and setting up house. Take a breather, and I think you'll enjoy the house-warming much more.

A house-warming doesn't need to be formal. I'd suggest a simple buffet/party platters/pizza, finger desserts (nice cookies, bite-size desserts), and drinks. Buy pretty (but sturdy) paper plates, plastic cups, and matching paper napkins, and heavy-duty (usually clear) plastic utensils. Set out some pretty, scented candles, a large bunch of fresh flowers as a centerpiece for the buffet table, provides some seating (and start a fire in the fireplace, if you have one), some soft background music on CD/tape), and just relax, and have fun. Keep the food to only one room (maybe your kitchen, if you have an island?).

Check Christopher Lowell's The Hassle-Free Host for a lovely pizza buffet, served in the kitchen, if you want pizza.

You may want to dress up a tiny bit; not jeans, but something casual, yet elegant.

Best of luck! Your post brought back memories of my Christmas/house-warming party, held 11 months AFTER I bought my house! (I wouldn't suggest waiting THAT long, though!)

You must be sooooo excited!!!!
Those are great tips!!!
Thankyou!! (haha glad i'm not the only Christopher Lowell fan out there!!!
)

We talked about it and decided to go ahead and do a simple/casual hosewarming party after the wedding/honeymoon so we have something to look foward to as well as time to get the house set up. I think it will be less stressful for me that way too!

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions everyone!

In the mean time- if my friends want to come over i'm just telling them to come on and see the new house and have a little coffee/tea and a tour of the house....then to come later on to the housewarming party and we'll have a nice fun dinner for everyone
I'm going to pick up my Nanny from her apartment this week to see the new house!
She's sooo excited!