Post "re-declaw" litter?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys probably aren't the ones to ask....but Bea had her surgery 2 weeks ago.

Right now, I've got her on Yesterday's News pellets. I can get Feline Pine, FP Scoop, & I've got a big bag of Swheat.

I don't want to use clay litter.....would Swheat work?

I'm not sure how long post-op you should use a special litter, but since she had such an extremem surgery & her paws are so sore....I thought the longer the better.

angelyco

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I had one of my cats declawed, I think it was only for a few days (at most one week) that I had to keep him on different litter. I used oatmeal, actually. But any of those litters will work, pretty much any pellets bigger than regular clay/scooping litters. Since it's been 2 weeks already though, you can use whatever you prefer and she'll be okay.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angelyco, Bea's surgery was much more extensive than a regular declaw. She was actually RE-dclawed and it was quite traumatic.

Nat, If her paws are really still that sore I think I'd use plain old newspaper strips. Nice and easy on the paws since even the non-clay pellets are hard and might hurt her to stand/walk on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She won't use the newspaper strips, tried those.

I also believe if you are declawing a cat, you need to use the special litter for 2 weeks....for re-declaw we're going 4-6 weeks. Esp. since the owners used regular clumping litter wwaaayyy too soon for any toe mutilation surgery!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would a re-declaw have to be done, the first one didn't heal properly?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want something soft. But you don't want the soft litter to be sticking to her feet either. I think the pellets might be ok - is she using them? If not, maybe put some paper towels in the pan till she's healed up.

BTW how is the coat going? Have you tried the cornstarch in her coat yet for the time being?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If not, maybe put some paper towels in the pan till she's healed up.
I was thinking along those lines too...but I was thinking unscented white toliet paper...that would be even softer than paper towel.
It sure wouldn't hold the odor and would have to be completely replaced probably everytime she uses the box ( that would make a lot of extra work for you Nat, but I know you'll do whatever it takes)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a friend of mine who only rescues declawed kitties uses rabbit pellets and she also uses packing bubbles.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She won't go in anything not "litter like", so no paper towels, newspaper, or toilet paper. I left them out this afternoon & came home to lovely pile of poop right inside my door (at least she's going, right?
) She has 6 litterboxes - Feline Pine, Yesterday's News, paper towes, puppy pad, & newspaper. She did not use any of them.

I'm wishing I could get WBCL, but the bag I bought I've got in use already. Supposed the next step might be to try the Swheat.....at least it isn't hard clumping so shouldn't be difficult to get out of her paws if need be. (I checked them thorougly, no open sores, nothing).

Oh yeah....coat's still nasty. She doesn't like being combed or anything. Gonna let her settle some & then try further grooming.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby having to go through this twice. The only thing I have heard of was shredded newspaper and you said she won't use that. I hope she is feeling better, I can't even imagine the pain involved.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Swheat Scoop says on the box it's safe for post declaw kitties.
It wouldn't hurt to try it and see if she will use it. You are checking her feet often enough that you would find any problem she might have. As for her fur, I agree to just let her settle in better before you even worry about it. At this point, you don't want to stress her any more than necessary.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a Cat Attract additive that looks like ground herbs. You can only get it online and through vets right now (although the pet health stores are lobbying to carry it). Could you sprinkle some of that on materials that Bea normally doesn't like, such as paper, to attract her to the box?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

There is a Cat Attract additive that looks like ground herbs. You can only get it online and through vets right now (although the pet health stores are lobbying to carry it). Could you sprinkle some of that on materials that Bea normally doesn't like, such as paper, to attract her to the box?
actually, i got my last container of it at PetSmart, so it's worth looking if you've got one in the area.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure where I'd find rabbit pellets?

I plan to get the cat attract, but won't get to the vets until Mon or Tues. I do plan to pick up an extra one for her new family, should anyone want her. I have a feeling she'll be hard to place.
She really deserves a new home, too.