We're getting another horse!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John came home last night and told me that we're getting another horse. Basically, the family doctor is getting two free horses but he only wants one so he's giving John's dad the other one.

I don't know a whole lot about him yet except that he's a yearling and is a Belgian/Paint cross and is supposedly black. They said they think he stands 16hh already. So now I've got Memphis and I'll have this colt to work with. John said I'll get to decide if I want to keep this colt as a riding horse or sell him eventually.

He's supposed to be here either Saturday or Sunday, and of course I'll post pics!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo! Another horse
Thats great! Can't wait to see photos!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a yearling and 16 H?????? I'd hate to see him when full grown. Looks like you will have your hands full in more then one way. Big guy and a brain of a baby....with mischief too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He's a yearling and 16 H?????? I'd hate to see him when full grown. Looks like you will have your hands full in more then one way. Big guy and a brain of a baby....with mischief too
I know! I'm excited in a way but in another way I'm slightly less than thrilled.
The previous owner claims that he is very level headed and easy to handle, but we'll see. I never really trust what anyone else says until I see it for myself.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I know! I'm excited in a way but in another way I'm slightly less than thrilled.
The previous owner claims that he is very level headed and easy to handle, but we'll see. I never really trust what anyone else says until I see it for myself.
Yeah, I find that 'hard to beleive' too, until I have had the horse for a good while...

Measure him for us too...I have a hard time beleiving his height at this age too, given Belgians are a more stocky breed than a tall breed...Lol! Perhaps he is Percheron cross? Course, his build will give his breed combo away immediately, too...so yeah...piccies, piccies, piccies!!!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Measure him for us too...I have a hard time beleiving his height at this age too, given Belgians are a more stocky breed than a tall breed...Lol! Perhaps he is Percheron cross? Course, his build will give his breed combo away immediately, too...so yeah...piccies, piccies, piccies!!!
My friend actually purchased a Paint yearling in November who was 15.3hh. He'll be turning two in... April I think. So 16hh draft cross isn't much of a shocker. Some horses just come out huge!

Congrats on the new horse though!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John's parents just left to pick him up. John and I have some shopping to do and are going to work on setting up the stall for the new guy. He should be here sometime this afternoon. I'll post pics as soon as I can!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the horse is pretty much in every way opposite of what the original owner said. For starters, SHE is a filly, not a colt! She has an umbilical hernia and the guy thought that made her a boy.
She is 12 months old and I haven't decided if she's faded black or dark bay. She is approximately 15hh but haven't measured her yet, but she definitely ISN'T 16hh.

She had never really been handled, she and her mother were in a field and just tossed hay every day. She'd never been haltered, never been trailered, never really been touched much except by the grandkids. But she is SO smart and so curious and so willing to learn. I spent about an hour in her stall and already have the halter on her! I am already in love with her, despite the fact that she's not in the least way what I was expecting to get this morning!

John's mom also told me that the guy has a free 8 year old Quarter Horse mare, 15.1hh, he paid $1000 for her, she's a great riding horse... he just can't keep any of his horses anymore. John's mom fell in love with her and wants her, so she's probably going to pick her up tomorrow.

The filly is mine if I want her, and want to work with her. Of course, I will think about it because it is a fairly big decision. But I do love her.
Oh, and the guy called her Blackie.... but I've named her Jet.

Here are a few pictures, they're pretty much awful because both barn doors were shut which made the lighting bad.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks nice - but I agree on the color - its not exactly either. Maybe after she is all cleaned up and brushed or her coat sheds out, then you will be able to tell her true color. Looks like a mix of a bay and black to me

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She looks nice - but I agree on the color - its not exactly either. Maybe after she is all cleaned up and brushed or her coat sheds out, then you will be able to tell her true color. Looks like a mix of a bay and black to me
I definitely can't wait to get her cleaned up. She needs it so badly.

We also got the whole story (we think) about her breed. Momma was a Paint, and a gorgeous one at that. John's dad was hauling the momma to her new home today and I got to meet her when he dropped Jet off here. She was so gorgeous. Jet's dad was a Paint cross, one of his parents was a Draft horse. The guy claims Belgian BUT he's one of those guys that thinks every Draft is a Belgian. We're thinking if there was any Draft, it was Percheron.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just curious - if both sides had Paint, then why doesn't she have more white on her?
I have absolutely no clue! I did see the mom and she was a gorgeous Tobiano with one blue eye. The previous owner bought them when Jet was 6 months old so he didn't own the stud.... so he was just telling us what he was told, which may or may not have been the truth. We'll probably never know, but it doesn't really matter much! I did tell the guy that was getting the mom that if he changed his mind I'd take her, she was GORGEOUS!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Well, the horse is pretty much in every way opposite of what the original owner said. For starters, SHE is a filly, not a colt! She has an umbilical hernia and the guy thought that made her a boy.
She is 12 months old and I haven't decided if she's faded black or dark bay. She is approximately 15hh but haven't measured her yet, but she definitely ISN'T 16hh.
The light markings around her eyes and muzzle give her away as a Brown...so you have a 'brown horse' there...Although alot of people still call Brown horses Bay, when they technically are not...haha.

She looks like a very lovely filly...I would love to see some full body shots of her as soon as you can get her outdoors!

HOW do you mistake a filly for a stallion? Hmmm...specially if it was on your place since it was young...they HAD to have seen her pee at least once!!! ROFL!!! Maybe they just thought she was 'special'...Uggh! haha!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Just curious - if both sides had Paint, then why doesn't she have more white on her?
You actually INCREASE the chances of a colored baby by NOT breeding paint\\paint...as well as decrease the chances of getting a lethal white baby too. Genetically, paint's color in a horse is not 'dominant'...so breeding a colored horse, to another colored horse is not a guarentee that you are going to get a colored foal.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You actually INCREASE the chances of a colored baby by NOT breeding paint\\paint...as well as decrease the chances of getting a lethal white baby too. Genetically, paint's color in a horse is not 'dominant'...so breeding a colored horse, to another colored horse is not a guarentee that you are going to get a colored foal.
Yeah what she said. So she ends up being Breeding Stock Paint. If she had more white I think she could become a minimal white overo or something.

She's pretty darn shaggy and pretty cute! I like the name Jet too!