TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Alternative sentencing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alternative sentencing?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
We were talking about this at work yesterday. To be honest I'm all for non-violent offenders getting an alternative sentence. In our area we have a Michael Cicconetti, who has been on national news for his brand of unique punishment. He's the Judge that made the women who dumped kittens in a part spend the night there when it was sub-zero weather.

What do you think? Should we be using this more often for non-violent people?

Here's a list of some of his brand of sentencing (scroll to the bottom): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cicconetti
post #2 of 16
I like that guy
post #3 of 16
Though some alternative sentences are undoubtedly much more beneficial than your basic fine or jail time, IMHO alternative sentencing endangers the coherence of the justice system. Within one justice system the sentence for a particular crime should always be the same, not dependand on the personality of an individual judge.
post #4 of 16
I think it is a great idea. People go to jail and sit around and watch TV and get their 3 meals a day, it is a travesty.

They should be on chains gangs like Sheriff Joe in Phoenix has them.

I think ALL Sheriff's need to take a lesson from Sheriff Joe. Make jail so hard, with back breaking labor and terrible food, give these law breakers some DETERRENT for goodness sakes.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I think it is a great idea. People go to jail and sit around and watch TV and get their 3 meals a day, it is a travesty.

They should be on chains gangs like Sheriff Joe in Phoenix has them.

I think ALL Sheriff's need to take a lesson from Sheriff Joe. Make jail so hard, with back breaking labor and terrible food, give these law breakers some DETERRENT for goodness sakes.
I agree.
There are too many people in prisons for minor offences compared to the hard core ones that can be punished via other measures.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I think ALL Sheriff's need to take a lesson from Sheriff Joe. Make jail so hard, with back breaking labor and terrible food, give these law breakers some DETERRENT for goodness sakes.
I disagree. And Sheriff Joe's "clients" recidivism rate is actually higher than regular jails, so that argument doesn't fly. Many of these criminals have something wrong mentally, so vengeance isn't gonna work, unless we follow the Muslim teachings, such as whacking off hands & heads, etc.
I think the creative justice is a great idea And the defendants do have a choice of the usual sentence or one of his "creative sentences" so justice is still meted out as fairly as possible.
Sentences do vary from judge to judge, even within the same county. Guess that's cuz they're human
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
I disagree. And Sheriff Joe's "clients" recidivism rate is actually higher than regular jails, so that argument doesn't fly. Many of these criminals have something wrong mentally, so vengeance isn't gonna work, unless we follow the Muslim teachings, such as whacking off hands & heads, etc.
I think the creative justice is a great idea And the defendants do have a choice of the usual sentence or one of his "creative sentences" so justice is still meted out as fairly as possible.
Sentences do vary from judge to judge, even within the same county. Guess that's cuz they're human
DING DING you have the right answer... I grew up in Phoenix and often wanted to give Sheriff Joe a taste of his own

Creative is good if actual thought is put in to discipline ... Jails should only house the NOT SAFE for society
post #8 of 16
I'm behind this guy too.

There was a similar judge in the Detroit Metro that did similar punishments. I remember one teenager had been cruising around in his car blasting ICP (& other similar music) through a neighborhood. These neighbors had this listen to this music for x hours.

What did the judge do? Made the teenage listen to Barry Manilow for x hours. The kid left the punishment stating that he now realizes what it was like to listen to be forced to listen to something you don't like.

Unfortunately a year later the kid was caught again for the same crime. I think he got community service.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
I'm behind this guy too.

There was a similar judge in the Detroit Metro that did similar punishments. I remember one teenager had been cruising around in his car blasting ICP (& other similar music) through a neighborhood. These neighbors had this listen to this music for x hours.

What did the judge do? Made the teenage listen to Barry Manilow for x hours. The kid left the punishment stating that he now realizes what it was like to listen to be forced to listen to something you don't like.

Unfortunately a year later the kid was caught again for the same crime. I think he got community service.
Poor Barry, being used as punishment.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
Poor Barry, being used as punishment.
Ahhh, reminds me of a Ray Stevens song.."I need your help, Barry Manilow!!!! ...No one knows how to suffer quite like you!"
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
I disagree. And Sheriff Joe's "clients" recidivism rate is actually higher than regular jails, so that argument doesn't fly. Many of these criminals have something wrong mentally, so vengeance isn't gonna work, unless we follow the Muslim teachings, such as whacking off hands & heads, etc.
I think the creative justice is a great idea And the defendants do have a choice of the usual sentence or one of his "creative sentences" so justice is still meted out as fairly as possible.
Sentences do vary from judge to judge, even within the same county. Guess that's cuz they're human
So, how is it vengeance? Are you saying criminals should have it easy in prison. And excuse me, but Sheriff Joe is not into whacking off hands and heads so that argument doesn't fly.
Prison should be HARD, they should have to WORK for their room and board.
Work HARD. No TV, no amenities. Yes I am for creative justice, but that won't work for the violent offenders.
Sure, some prisoners are mentally off, personally I think anyone who commits a violent crime is mentally off, what is your point with that statement?
You need to post a link to Sheriff's Joe's rates on criminals that come back to his jails as I am finding it hard to believe that.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
So, how is it vengeance? Are you saying criminals should have it easy in prison. And excuse me, but Sheriff Joe is not into whacking off hands and heads so that argument doesn't fly.
Prison should be HARD, they should have to WORK for their room and board.
Work HARD. No TV, no amenities. Yes I am for creative justice, but that won't work for the violent offenders.
Sure, some prisoners are mentally off, personally I think anyone who commits a violent crime is mentally off, what is your point with that statement?
You need to post a link to Sheriff's Joe's rates on criminals that come back to his jails as I am finding it hard to believe that.
No, I don't believe that prisons should be "easy". Nor jails - which is what Sheriff Joe is running.
I didn't say that Sheriff Joe is whacking off body parts!
BUT - did you know:
Arizona spends more running the corrections dept., and Maricopa County running its law enforcement, than either entity does for SCHOOLS
That a major prostitution sting couldn't be prosecuted because Sheriff Joe's deputies were guilty of commiting criminal sex acts while entrapping the hookers
Here are some links to that and more interesting tidbits about Sheriff Joe, including his multimillion suspect real estate deals:
http://www.doney.net/aroundaz/celebr...sheriffjoe.htm
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...rpaio1104.html
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/:ce...chief_depu.php
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-...-blockade/full
http://www.quarterlyconversation.com/TQC9/prison.html
post #13 of 16
Good links, one wouldn't open though. I like him even better now.

Nothing on the stats of people that re-offend at all though.

I don't blame him for being unhappy with the newspaper for printing his home address. I think that was terrible, he has had death threats against him and his family.
post #14 of 16
He's the Judge that made the women who dumped kittens in a part spend the night there when it was sub-zero weather.
Sounds good to me!

I'm just surprised that the human rights people haven't complained.
post #15 of 16
I like this judge too. Sentencing that woman to stay in that park overnight was great.

There was another judge like him, can't find it right now. It was a repeat DUI/DWI offender. One of those outrageous cases of 14 offensives. Anyway, the judge said this guy is never going to quit drinking and driving so his sentence was that he must live within 1000 feet of a bar.

That way he could would be walking home wasted instead of drinking and driving on a revoked license endangering the rest of the public.

I never heard if the sentence was contested or not, but I thought it was a creative way of trying to deal with a problem that hadn't been corrected in 13 previous tries.
post #16 of 16
Yep I think we should use it more!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Alternative sentencing?