ok i have to admit this is me

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my boyfriend has the same phobia..till I dragged him last year....
he didn't go in 10 years...
had no choice..last year with 2 absessed teeth.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a dentist nearby me that has his practise dedicated to those that fear the dentist.

I was reading up his info online and basically he gives you laughing gas for your entire appointment.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a former co-worker who was terrified going to dentist. I went yesterday for semi annual visit no biggie except for some sore gums from the cleaning.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit I don't like visiting the dentist, the smell of the drill grinding aginst teeth (a burning smell) isn't that plesant. But i don't have dentalphobia.
I just can't afford to see a dentist.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel! Its the novicane shots that get me nervous, especially when they miss & have to move it all around inside your gums.
Just thinking about the dentist gives me chills!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bruce! I feel your pain. I haven't been to a dentist since just before Kevin was born and he will be 3 on Wednesday. I need to go, but my guy has retired and don't want to find another!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not scared of the dentist- what scares me though is the bill
I went for my cleaning on Tues. morning and found out i need about $700 worth of work on 4 of my teeth
I'm about a month and a half away from having dental insurance once i get married so i'm going to try and hold out till then!

I love my dentist and am totally comfortable around him and the peopel in his office- what makes me uncomfortable though is the thought of the bill
I might just get one tooth fixed before i get insurance (the bad one) and the rest fixed afterwards so it'll be covered mostly!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

I know how you feel! Its the novicane shots that get me nervous, especially when they miss & have to move it all around inside your gums.
They don't use novocaine anymore, most commonly used is lidocaine.

I'm not that bothered by the dental work itself... my worry is the local anesthetic - specifically the epinephrine. (I have asked for one without it before, not sure the dentist listened.) My autonomic dysfunction causes my heart and sometimes blood pressure to do weird things, such as tachycardia. It's actually a common complaint among people with autonomic dysfunction (dysautonomia).

My biggest worry is that anything that requires a larger dose or a redose may make me faint/make my heart rate bottom out.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

They don't use novocaine anymore, most commonly used is lidocaine.
Thank you for your correction
Now I know!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I much prefer the laughing gas!

By the way, I don't think they are moving the needle around because they missed - I believe they are injecting small amounts of lidocaine around an area to freeze the whole area. That was my understanding anyway - if I'm wrong, one of you dental techs feel free to correct me.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

By the way, I don't think they are moving the needle around because they missed - I believe they are injecting small amounts of lidocaine around an area to freeze the whole area. That was my understanding anyway - if I'm wrong, one of you dental techs feel free to correct me.
The dentist who was injecting the lidocaine kept trying & trying but couldn't find the nerves (shes done this before, I know this now). She had to get her boss to redo it for her. He did it correctly thankfully
I know they move it around too, but I won't go to that dentist anymore
I need a good dentist!
Maybe another dentist could try something other then lidocaine with me?
Always been kind of scared of laughing gas, it must be better then a needle!
(sorry about all my posts in this thread - I didn't mean to!)

sadie'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a big fear of the dentist and did not go myself until Dec (10 yrs)....
I just had my wisdom teeth out on monday, I went under, and my goodness do I ever have the greatest dentist. I have no swelling, no pain, and went to work after two days. Mind over matter is what I say~

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont like the dentist either my friend. I usually have to take over 1000mg of antibiotics before they will touch me because I have mitral valve prolapse and if I dont take the antibiotics I could get endocarditis... Not cool. Plus I have exposed nerves so it hurts when they are scraping me... Whoo I dont like the dentist one bit. I dont know many people who do, so Im sure you are not alone with that phobia. I have a few phobias myself!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find this thread interesting actually. Everyone I know goes to the dentist every 6 months for a checkup and cleaning. If they need fillings or other work the appointments are made at that time. Our dental appointments are already booked up until January 2009. It's never an issue, just something we do automatically. Our dentist books John and I back-to-back for evening appointments and we actually have a good time - our dentist (and his wife who is also a dentist and shares the business) is always joking and kidding around with his patients.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I usually have to take over 1000mg of antibiotics before they will touch me because I have mitral valve prolapse and if I dont take the antibiotics I could get endocarditis... Not cool.
Slightly O/T.
Do you have syncope with your MVP? ...supposedly that is common. And do you have any other problems at the dentist? Do they need to monitor your heart rate or blood pressure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I find this thread interesting actually. Everyone I know goes to the dentist every 6 months for a checkup and cleaning. If they need fillings or other work the appointments are made at that time. Our dental appointments are already booked up until January 2009. It's never an issue, just something we do automatically. Our dentist books John and I back-to-back for evening appointments and we actually have a good time - our dentist (and his wife who is also a dentist and shares the business) is always joking and kidding around with his patients.
Well, i can tell you as a kid. No one would belive me that, i could still feel stuff. Each seasion to the denist i left in tears and in huge amount of amount of pain.