All Coffee is not created equal!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink instant decaf coffee. I usually buy Maxwell House. However last week when I went shopping Nescafe was on sale for about $3.00 less per jar than Maxwell House. So being on a budget I bought the Nescafe.

I hate it! It's so bitter. Next time I'll cut something from my list and buy Maxwell House which doesn't taste like it's burnt. *blech*

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought some ground coffee here once that tasted like it had cigarette tobacco in it.
Who knows, it probably did.

If it's not too bad maybe you'll get used to this new brand by the time you change back.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

have to agree not all coffe is created equal.
Same here. I know of someone who roasts his own coffee because he likes it in a particular way... super fresh!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband only buys whole beans and grinds them himself. He's definitely a coffee snob. Me? I prefer the girly, "doesn't taste like coffee" stuff from Starbucks. Although, I need to cut that out for budgetary and dietary reasons.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Starbucks on occasion but to me it's too strong so I don't drink it often. I do like their slim lattes though. The caramel one is awesome.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also a bit of a coffee snob. I used to get the monthly deliveries from Gevalia and I really liked that coffee. The job that I had at that time went away and I had to take a pay cut so that was the end of Gevalia. I now get a store brand of 8 o'clock coffee. It's okay and I am used to it now but every once in awhile I have to stop somewhere for a cup of really good coffee.

jersh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I generally have more coffee in my system than blood... I agree, it's not all created equal. I buy the stuff in the supermarket that's in the big bins that you grind yourself... I think the brand name is Brothers (I shop at Publix) and I get the Vanilla Nut Cream variety. It's delicious but it has to be coarsely ground and brewed strong to truly enjoy it... It's not cheap, it's $9 a pound, but I figure that $9 would last only about 3 days at Starbucks whereas a pound of beans that I brew myself lasts 2+ weeks. Plus I don't have to deal with the barristas(sp?) that expect a tip.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormchickx

I like Starbucks on occasion but to me it's too strong so I don't drink it often. I do like their slim lattes though. The caramel one is awesome.
I don't get their coffee, I get their specialty drinks.

Off-Topic: Btw, do you know if the syrup in the skinny lattes are made with Splenda or aspartame? I asked at the counter and they couldn't tell me (they couldn't find it on the bottle).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coffe snob here. I buy whole beans and grind myself. In a burr grinder vs they other kind which looks like a food processor!!
I usually by www.doorcountycoffee.com - the Good Day Wisconsin Blend. Or Alterra roasters I believe based in Milwaukee - the Sumatra!!

I only have one cup/day and its gotta be good!!

What one has to look for is if arabica beans are used instead of the cheaper robusta beans (usually grown in Vietnam). Its makes a HUGH difference as all the better coffees use arabica.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a coffee lover!

I treat myself with a starbucks or TimHorton's once in a blue moon but normally I steep my own. Normally I go with Folgers beans and grind them myself, But for a treat I get Starbucks Komodo Dragon blend

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I absolutely must have high quality coffee...or coffee is not worth living!
Occasionally I will buy a sale coffee and am almost always disappointed. Coffee is too important for me take that chance again!

OP - what I've done with my coffee mistakes: I combine 3/4ths of the "good" stuff with 1/4 of the "bad" stuff. It helps my budget and doesnt the good taste seems to override the bad taste. Perhpas try it, now that you are stuck with coffee you dont like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what I'm going to do is keep this Nescafe to mix with my SlimFast meal replacement shakes that I make, and buy a jar of Maxwell House strictly for drinking.

With the SlimFast shake I can disguise the burned flavour of the Nescafe with the chocolate SlimFast, Splenda and some Fruit.

From all of the commercials I see on TV, Nescafe is supposed to be a good brand of coffee. But if good=burned taste, give me "bad" any day, lol

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, if you look up coffee snob in the dictionary, you will find my picture (hee, hee!)

I don't like Starbucks that they brew there in the store. Almost always tastes burned! But I buy the beans and grind them... my current fave is Gold Coast Blend. I need that jolt in the AM!!

I also like the Blue Mountain Blend from Magnum Coffee Roasters in Unica, Michigan ( near Grand Rapids). It's lovely and smooth.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Dunkin' Donuts and 7-11 coffee is awesome! I buy Floger's or Maxwell House most often though, because it's more affordable.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Gevalia, but cannot afford it. I like to grind my own, and the 8 O' clock is better than most grocery store coffee. Sam's Club has a good kind that of course I cannot call the name of right now. It is Hawaiian something. I love my coffee. The day just can't start without it.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I
coffee! I only drink it in the mornings, but I buy whole beans and grind them myself and use a French Press to brew. However, I don't consider myself a snob since I buy the bulk coffee at the store. But, I always add cream and a flavored sugar-free syrup to my coffee so I can get away with cheaper beans. Tastes just like a fancy Starbucks coffee at a fraction of the price.