I am in love with a new animal.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fennec fox. I went to a little local Park and Zoo today which had one of these guys and he looked sooooo cute!

It was really cat-like - about the same size, and curled up like a cat. Looks more like a chihuahua though... Unfortunately it slept the entire time, and never put his head up.

There's some more photos at this website http://www.treasureranch.com/treasur...es/fennec.html

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is adorable... I to love the Fennec Fox and hope to own one in the future.

The Fennec Fox is the Smallest of all the Foxes, I do believe its Nocturnal too ((not sure though)).

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Can you buy one?

lol.. Yup!.. but to buy ((from a breeder of course)) would cost $400-600.. sometimes $1000+, plus you need your Exotic Pets License ((Class A I think))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just reading about them as pets before, and it said they are more intelligent than cats and dogs, so you have to be careful, but they are also apparently more entertaining. It also says they retain a lot of their instincts so you have to be careful, because they'll try to burrow into your furniture, hide their (raw) food all over the house, and while they can be trained to use a litter box, they are wild at heart and will often go where the like.

They are so cute though!

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are SO entertaining! Unfortunately they're classed as pests here... So, no owning one for me...
They're sooo clever though... they're trickly little things... they'll outsmart you every time.
Here in Australia they've developed a new harmless way to get rid of them. They used to hunt them (probably still do) but now they release a substance into their habitat which apparently is harmless to them but makes them infertile... But we'll just see...
I'd love to have one. They're so cute.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom and I had an Artic Fox, and then Red and Cross Foxes when I was growing up...they were soooooooo much fun!!!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always loved Fennec Foxes! They're just about the most adorable thing ever... I wouldn't want to own one though, I've heard they can be very destructive, are not good "house pets" and have a very strong odor.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw them on a program once and just about keeled over from the cuteness of them!! They are so sweet.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fennec Fox are so darn cute. I have seen them up close too and they just melt your heart with their cuteness. If you wanted to own one, the best thing would be to have an outdoor enclosure for them. But, with their small size and burrowing abilities, you would have to build the enclosure in such a way, as to make sure the fox couldn't burrow out.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too have been tempted by their cuteness.
I have WAY too many animals to be getting any more though, lol.

I read up on them and they're such smart little critters!

Oh yeah, you don't need a license to own them(unless your state/city requires it). You only need a license if you're breeding them. However, they are illegal to own in many places, so you'd have to check your local laws. I think they fall under "exotics", like my sugar gliders.

robertb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I was just reading about them as pets before, and it said they are more intelligent than cats and dogs, so you have to be careful, but they are also apparently more entertaining. It also says they retain a lot of their instincts so you have to be careful, because they'll try to burrow into your furniture, hide their (raw) food all over the house, and while they can be trained to use a litter box, they are wild at heart and will often go where the like.

They are so cute though!
Very much so. They sound like a much better theoretical than actual pet though.