Does anyone else's cat try to antagonize the dog?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sibohan has been getting more and more bold when it comes to Kyra. At first it was only her wacking at the dogs tail if it got to close....

Then sleeping on the dogs bed with the dog looking at her and wining (yes I have a wimpy dog)

Now she has found out that it really ticks off the dog when the cat touches her toys... so what does Sibohan do.... Rolls on the dog toys and starts licking a few of them.

The look on the dogs face is one of horror and you know whats going through her mind "kill the cat... wait till their sleeping and kill the cat"

I swear the cat is trying to get the dog thrown out of the house.

Anyone else have "sibling" rivalry like this?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes!
Jack, the foster dog, has never seen cats before....so it's fun.
And he's very possessive of toys....or rather he always wants to play.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O this is to common in my house hold
With 2 big laps you would think the cats would stay away, well Bella she didnt like the dogs when she first came and well she still doesnt so shes always bossing the dogs around (who mind you are about 100 lbs more than her) Then Storm thinks its funny to hit them with her paw whenever they walk by or attack their tail when ever it is shaking ! Tessa tries to get them to chase her when ever she feels spunky enough
And Willie he just cleans them and acts like a mother! Blue now she just rubs up on the dogs to their heads and tries to get them to clean her

Cocoa though he eats their toys and their litter
So I think Storms always messing with him on purpose cause he eats her toys

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasper (my Labrador) always annoys the cats, and vice versa. Shark will lay on Jasper's bed sometimes, and wonder why he prods her with his wet nose to get her off

Arwen has become Jasper's best friend recently, and she will find live frogs, grass snakes or voles for him to bring into the house, which is not nice for me!

Last of all, for some reason Brandy does not get on with Jasper at all, and will rather hiss at him when he gets too close for comfort...then Jasper will chase him outside..

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Brazil and Martha like to go and 'check out' Dominoe's food and bones when he is eating or chewing; he is our 'iffy' dog when it comes to aggression and protection of certain items. I usually just clap my hands or toss keys in the general direction and they get the idea to VAMOOSE!!!!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister just got a Corgi mix and her cat knows if he can get Dodger (the dog) to jump on him, then Mommy comes to the rescue, or the dog gets in trouble. To do this he moves as close to the dog as he can, sniff him, touch his toys... anything. Then when he does get the dog to chase him, he jumps on the other side of the baby gate, and sits there. It's like he's saying "you can't get me". It's kind of funny.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Sibohan has been getting more and more bold when it comes to Kyra. At first it was only her wacking at the dogs tail if it got to close....

Then sleeping on the dogs bed with the dog looking at her and wining (yes I have a wimpy dog)

Now she has found out that it really ticks off the dog when the cat touches her toys... so what does Sibohan do.... Rolls on the dog toys and starts licking a few of them.

The look on the dogs face is one of horror and you know whats going through her mind "kill the cat... wait till their sleeping and kill the cat"

Are you kidding? They live to torment the dog. It's been a while, but I used to have two cats and one dog. The cats, I swear, spent their time plotting on how to tease the dog. The dog ( a dachsund) would always come running to me whenever the cats pulled one of their tricks on him. The cats always thought it was funny, and just betwen you and me, I did too!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I've had several cats do this over the years. Most times we didn't have a cat and dog together, but the times we did, the cat would tease the dog

Charlie pounces on Keno's tail a lot or swats at her nose.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always had more than one dog at a time, too, and I have always though it 'funny' how the cats know which dog is the one who will get mad at them, and their antics...

Like I said, they don't bother Sophie, but Dominoe...OMG...they try their darndest to annoy the dickens out of...but they know Sophie could care less!!!! They all feel comfortable enough to curl up and sleep with her...no one sleeps with Dominoe, but they sure try to annoy the heck out of him!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sneakers really doesn't like the dogs. If they come to close or walk past her she will reach out and swat them, but she will also walk really close to them as if just DARING them to look at her so she can take a swing at them! She lays in the middle of the living room floor where she knows the dogs have to walk past if they want to go into or out of the room. She'll also sit in the hallway or the entrance to the hallway, and the dogs are afraid to walk past her in that narrow space so she creates a traffic jam.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep. Miss Rowdy Bratcat will sit behind one of the baby gates, knowing that Pearl wants to play with her. Pearl will stand on her side of the gate, play-bow and whimper to get Rowdy to come over and play with her.

Rowdy also likes to wait until Ike is asleep and nip him on the butt. Ike wakes up, with a yelp but, when he sees Rowdy, he just nuzzles her and goes back to sleep.

Years ago, I had a black cat and another Dalmatian. Shadow (the cat) would hide in the dark, jump out and spook Sponsor. The poor, goofy dog would come running to my ex or me, to "save" her from the "big bad pussycat". (This was the same cat, that the dog allowed to nurse on her).

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our dog (Max) is Lynx's favorite toy. Sad thing is Max just wants to be friends with him soooooo bad. And all Lynx wants to do is stalk him around the house and pounce on him from behind the doors.

olivia's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Olivia loves to play with my corgi, Toby. He hoards all her toys and she pays him back by taking all of his and putting them under the couch so he can't get them. They stalk each other all over the house and if she is somewhere she shouldn't be, Toby herds her away.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats know that it bothers our dog to go near her food... so when the foods out the cats insist on taking there time "drinking" the water next to the food when our dog wants to eat.

The worst case we had was a cat who insisted on attacking our dog when ever she had the chance for no reason! she had the dog shaking in her presence and we had to keep them separated or we had to carry the cat around... we eventually had to rehome the cat because of it

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Nekochan

My cat Sneakers really doesn't like the dogs. If they come to close or walk past her she will reach out and swat them, but she will also walk really close to them as if just DARING them to look at her so she can take a swing at them! She lays in the middle of the living room floor where she knows the dogs have to walk past if they want to go into or out of the room. She'll also sit in the hallway or the entrance to the hallway, and the dogs are afraid to walk past her in that narrow space so she creates a traffic jam.
Originally Posted by katl8e

Yep. Miss Rowdy Bratcat will sit behind one of the baby gates, knowing that Pearl wants to play with her. Pearl will stand on her side of the gate, play-bow and whimper to get Rowdy to come over and play with her.

Rowdy also likes to wait until Ike is asleep and nip him on the butt. Ike wakes up, with a yelp but, when he sees Rowdy, he just nuzzles her and goes back to sleep.

Years ago, I had a black cat and another Dalmatian. Shadow (the cat) would hide in the dark, jump out and spook Sponsor. The poor, goofy dog would come running to my ex or me, to "save" her from the "big bad pussycat". (This was the same cat, that the dog allowed to nurse on her).

I can't help but laugh at some of this!

Duke and Tiger are known for aggrevating the snot outta Jake

They would wait until we were in bed (with Jake at the foot of the bed) and pop out from under the bed and thump Jake. He would get so wound up, barking and whining wanting to play with them that we would eventually kick Jake out of the bed for the night.

I swear, the cats plot to have the dogs kicked out of the house

Duke likes to swat Jake's tail as he walks by then jump on the counter or fridge and meow at him like "neener neener, you can't catch me" and Jake will jump, hitting the fridge, knocking everything off it

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the cats will slap at the dogs face if they are on my lap and he comes up tot me (Apollo) but they never botehr with Mia. Probably because she never chases them.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I know what you mean!! Beauty ((the cat trying to kill my dog)) was very dominant over who could and couldnt live at our house... she even attacked me a couple times.

Originally Posted by katl8e

Years ago, I had a black cat and another Dalmatian.
Haha!! it must me a "Black Cat" thing to antagonize dogs cuz our Beauty was black!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the cat try to antagonize the dogs? Only everyday!

Read my horrible thread in "Whats New Pussycat"...I know this can't be normal! But she is always teasing the dogs.

And to make matters worse one of my dogs has a real cat problem that took over a year to work through, but we still can't leave them alone together.

I have three dogs and each one is so easy, behaves so well, they are all inside dogs and then there is the kitty, who tries to get everyone else in trouble, knocks things off counters, will tear up bags of food, jumps on counters, messes with blinds, follows us around shouting and wakes us up to feed her, never shuts up
It really is funny. Right?

zenoah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, no never.
Our dog is the alpha and puts Kisa May in her place. There are times where they'll "play" but since Kisa is new to the pack so to speak, Skippy the dog let's her know.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh ya! I have 3 cats a 2 dog's,the cats will pick on the puppy and then run,making the puppy chase them,and when she catches them they yell like shes killing them!