14 inches of snow, what's the big deal?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the big deal is that 14 inches is too deep for my car. I learned that the hard way yesterday afternoon. I came into work (stupid move #1). I was sent home around 2PM. No problem getting home. Then I decided to try to park in my spot in the parking lot (stupid move #2). I was so stuck that when someone tried to pull me out with a 4 wheel drive jeep the car barely budged. I did get out, only after they dug my car out enough for me to just drive backwards. Now having a brand new car I was not thrilled about him trying to pull my car, but as far as I can tell no damage done. My poor car has been through a lot in it's first 3 weeks. I've got just over 500 miles and that car has been driven in a lot of snow. Not to mention a friend of mine backed up and bumped the front end last Saturday. No damage, just bent the license plate. My poor car.

jersh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, 14 inches is a good amount of snow... Your story about getting stuck in the parking lot reminds me of a storm we had when I was in college at Missouri State in SW Missouri... It doesn't snow there too often, but occasionally they'll get a big storm that dumps a foot or more. One of those big storms happened when I lived in the dorms, it hit right in the middle of finals week when everyone was trying to leave to get home for the holidays... They ended up shutting down campus and postponing finals until after the holiday break. There was about 12 inches and there were LOTS of people getting stuck in the parking lots... So many that the parking lots were getting blocked by stuck vehicles and nobody could get out. A buddy and I both had 4x4 trucks at the time, we spent about 3 hours pulling people out of one parking lot... We each made about $300 in tips and met several nice looking young coeds in the process
Ahhhh the good old days of college.....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...14 inches is a typical amount for a single 24 hour storm up here in the Northeast. You should try driving to work after a storm dumps over 30 inches of snow on you. Now THAT'S deep!

I guess that you can be thankful that all you wound up with was a bent license plate - it could ALWAYS be worse, like spinning off the road into a ditch, for example.

Gotta stay positive!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to have my brother pull me up the laneway on the weekend there was glare ice under the 20 cm of snow we got so my car went until it had too much build up under the tires then started going sideways.
I must remember to buy a 4x4 next time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

LOL...14 inches is a typical amount for a single 24 hour storm up here in the Northeast. You should try driving to work after a storm dumps over 30 inches of snow on you. Now THAT'S deep!

I guess that you can be thankful that all you wound up with was a bent license plate - it could ALWAYS be worse, like spinning off the road into a ditch, for example.

Gotta stay positive!
The bent license plate was a separte incident, that's why I say my car has been though a lot already. I seem to have bad luck with new cars. I got rear ended in my Berreta 2 weeks after I bought it. Apparently I'm not meant to have a new car.
After my friend backed into me, I was not very positive, but got over it as soon as I saw there was no damage to the car.

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Do you have winter tires on the car?
No I've got all weather tires. Next winter I'm getting snow tires. I guess the problem was not so much the 14 inches as it was the huge snow drift that I drove into without noticing. Oh well, all is fine and the only thing damaged was my driving ego. (I pride myself on my driving abilities.)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

No I've got all weather tires. Next winter I'm getting snow tires. I guess the problem was not so much the 14 inches as it was the huge snow drift that I drove into without noticing. Oh well, all is fine and the only thing damaged was my driving ego. (I pride myself on my driving abilities.)
Good idea to get snow tires next winter. I have a little civic with snow tires and I have yet to become stuck...and we get some pretty bad dumpings of snow here.
I wouldn't be caught without them!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Good idea to get snow tires next winter. I have a little civic with snow tires and I have yet to become stuck...and we get some pretty bad dumpings of snow here.
I wouldn't be caught without them!
You are so right!

My very first new car was a Honda Civic when they first came to Canada and I could go anywhere without getting stuck. I remember going to my friend's cottage up in Haliburton and he couldn't get his car up to the cottage door but I had no problem with little "Rhonda Honda".