Mother cat attacking her kittens

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone

Wife and I are having a problem with the mother cat (Lisa) is driving us insane

Lisa is a mixed breed with Maine Coon and Tabby, she had 4 kittens, 1 died during birth, and one after being 3 months old, got really sick, so we have 2 kittens left, the kittens are girls, they are sooo cute (ill post pictures soon)

anyways, couple weeks ago, Lisa started attacking and growling at her kittens for no reason
and wouldnt shut up at all, would meow at the door constantly, at 5am or earlier
would wake me and my wife, and pees in the corner, pukes everywhere

I dont know whats wrong with her, she is a beautiful cat to put down, but im afraid thats the only choice, after putting down a kitten, which we still miss
I dont have the heart or strength to put her down.

Please help, Thanks.

Larry

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get her to the vet pronto. She sounds quite ill. Have her spayed and put the babies on bottle feedings. The remainder of the litter is more than likely ill and mom knows this. They sense it whether the smell is off or what. She will (if she is a stray) either abandon her kittens, try to kill them or take them somewhere to leave them with predators. It is nature's way. She also could have another kitten inside, one that didn't pass which is why she needs a vet NOW. If she isn't giving milk, she could have mastitis which will also kill her if not treated.

my website www.kitten-rescue.com can help you with the kittens. But a vet needs to see your queen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well the kittens are 5 months old now, they eat and drink from the bowl now
but Lisa just attacks and growls at them, they stopped feeding from Lisa

i was afraid she might be ill, but i dont know what to do

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably attacking them because they are older and it is instinct to put them away. Are you keeping the kittens?

I would really have the mother checked out, something is obviously wrong and she sounds ill.

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes we are keeping the kittens,

Lisa becoming such a pain that my wife wants to put her down, or get rid of her

she isnt spayed either, costs alot here, we let her out in the hallway, we dont want to let her outside, its cold and afraid she may get pregnant again, and does not look like she has a kitten inside her

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is being a pain because she may be IN pain. She might be sick, something is apparently wrong with her. If she just got out and got pregnant, she could have mated with a cat with some disease, or she may have picked up worms and now is puking. You can't put her down or get rid of her for something she can't help. As a cat owner, it is your responsibility to help her when she is not feeling good. She needs to see a vet.

Are there low cost clinics around the area? Or Mobile neuter clinics? She will end up with Pyometra or cancer if she is never spayed.

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the help, i really appreciate it

ill see if i can take her to the vet

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also be concerned for her health. She needs to be spayed. It's very possible she contracted some disease from the father of the previous kittens and that is why she is vomiting although it seems strange that it would take 5 months to show up.

See if you can get the vet to give you some sort of break on having all 3 cats neutered at the same time.

I do hope the mom cat is not suffering from some terminal ailment. It's unfair to have her put down without making an effort to find out if she is sick. After all, it's not her fault she got pregnant in the first place. We really need to do the right thing for our pets.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ZeroCool

would meow at the door constantly, at 5am or earlier
would wake me and my wife, and pees in the corner, pukes everywhere
Crying at the door is because she is not spayed. She certainly needs to get to the vet and she needs to be spayed just as soon as possible.

I have a cat who when he gets stressed he vomits. It could be that she is stressed, in heat and wants to mate, but she really needs to go to the vet.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question - is everyone spayed now? If not, that's part of the problem. And if mom is not spayed, then she should not be alllowed outside to get pregnant again.

Some mothers don't mind their kittens hanging around, but most would rather them leave

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs a Vet. Sounds like she might have a infection or something. My Coco got hurt once and she attacked al my other Cats because the pain. Your Cat is sick it sounds like. Do not have her Pts because she is acting like that.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SHe is probably in heat and trying to get out to mate - it is the strongest instinct of any cat, and she will be unhappy and bad tempered if she cannot get out. She may be sick too, but please do get her to a vet and get her spayed. If there is a university near you, with an agricultural/veterinary facility, they often do very cheap spays and treatments.

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the replies everyone, really appreciate it

also would like to mention that Lisa is in heat constantly, basically for 3 months now
shes still in heat, and when theres a male around, she goes crazy and does the things that cats do when they are in heat, with rolling around, rubbing themselves against somethings

so i have suspicion that she may be ill

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Lisa becoming such a pain that my wife wants to put her down, or get rid of her
What's going to happen when one of the kittens becomes "such a pain"? Will your wife want to "put her down" or "get rid of her" too?

Not sure if you and your wife are aware of this, but pet ownership is a serious responsibility. That means bringing an obviously ailing cat to the vet, as numerous members have already told you.

she isnt spayed either, costs alot here
It costs a lot to get her spayed? How much does it cost to take care of her, plus the two kittens? What about future kittens, if she escapes and gets pregnant and comes back? I guarantee you that spaying is infinitely cheaper.

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
basically 200$ for each cat
and im in europe on vacation, i dont work here, i cant get a job here
and wife doesnt work

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok you are on vacation and you have a cat and kittens for a few months. Did you get this cat in Europe or did you bring her with you. Letting females go in and out of heat over and over is a sure way of her developing cancers or pyrometria - which will kill her (pyro) quickly. She could very well have that in her system now.

She NEEDS to be seen by a vet and spayed. Find some way of getting the money - or take them all to the shelter. Since you also have female kittens from her, its only a matter of a few months before they will be starting in and out of heat. What are you really planning on doing?????

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worked in eastern Europe and I can't believe that it costs $200 for a spay in Estonia. If that is what you have been quoted, they are ripping you off because you are a foreigner. As I suggested, find a university faculty who will do it cheaply, or ask a local friend to get the quotes for you. If your cat has been going in and out of heat without being either mated or spayed, then it is quite likely she is ill - cats are not designed for that, and their bodies react badly. Please find some way of getting her to a vet - there is really nothing more that anyone here can say.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My apologies, I thought they were newborns. She is growling at them and driving her off because she is tired of being a mom. I hope you can get her spayed soon.

zerocool

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she was put down two days ago, took her to the vet, she was very ill, nothing we could do

i dont know what the word means because the vet is estonian, but it was serious

thats all i can say

though we are gonna get the kittens spayed

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have suspicions then it was pyrometria which is a very serious infection in the uterus and if not caught in time, the cat will die. I'm sorry she had to be put down, but happy you will be spaying her kittens and save them from the same fate.