Help! Can I get out of this??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been asked to help with training of the new hires at work. I work in a call center, and the training is a class room setting for about 3 weeks because the infomation needed is very intensive (a LOT of financial and tax info). Since I'm on the "helpline" (basically, I'm one of people other reps call if they have a question) training is one of the options, but it's NOT part of the job description.

I really don't want to do this, but I haven't given them a yes or no answer yet. First, I don't get more money for this. They used to have a full time trainer, but they had to consolidate positions so now it's whoever they can find. Second, I HATE public speaking, and I don't think I have the patients to teach a class (last class was 24 people). I'm ok training someone one on one, but a whole class is just so intimidating.

This isn't a job a really want to move up in, in fact I actually hate it. But, there are many other areas in the company that I would be interested in getting into (reseach, HR, etc) where I don't have to be on the phone 8 hours a day. Doing training might show them that I am willing to do anything (but I'd hate it!) but it also may lock me into this contract where I wouldn't be able to go to another dept. Add to that I have a problem with saying no to anyone that asks me for a favor.

So, can I get out of this gracefully and still have a chance at moving to another dept? Or should I just suffer and stumble through the classes?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one.

First of all did you receive a defined job description when you were hired?

If so and this particular job wasn't listed then they can't penalize you for not doing it, however it could affect future considerations for promotion.

Secondly if it isn't in your job description you should be compensated if you choose to do it..e.i. you should get a raise so ask for one.

Thirdly if you are not comfortable preforming this type of training tell them that because it will affect your ability to do it properly and again that may reflect on future advancement.

Your kind of between a rock and a hard place....good luck.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

This isn't a job a really want to move up in, in fact I actually hate it.
If you are planning on looking for work elsewhere because you don't like your job, then be honest and tell them that you do not feel comfortable in an educational role.

However, if you are wanting to stay with the company, turning down the position could be seen as not being a team player and helping out in a pinch.

On the other hand if you take the position and do a bad job because you are uncomfortable with public speaking etc, that will affect your ability to do the job and will look like you are incompetent which will also affect not only your job but also any chance of promotion to other areas.

IMHO you should speak (better yet, put it in a letter so you have proof that you spoke to them about it) to your boss and tell him / her that you have no prior experience in an educational role or spoken in front of so many people before and are not really sure how to go about it. Ask them for help and resources so that you can learn how to teach a class of students.

Then it's in their court. They can either reassign the task to someone else, or help you through. But at the very least they will be aware that you have never done that type of job before and if something goes wrong, you have the proof (by the letter you sent them) that you advised them that you had no prior experience in that role and sought their help.

If you can get over your speaking fear, you might very well find that you enjoy teaching. I have never liked public speaking, but at my job I frequently have to speak in front of more than a few people in an educational role, and I find that I really enjoy it. Who knows, with the right training and support, you might find that you do too

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same opportunity years ago. This is the advice I was given:
It will look great on your resume and you have to get over your fears at some point.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I had the same opportunity years ago. This is the advice I was given:
It will look great on your resume and you have to get over your fears at some point.
Yeah, that makes sense..even though you probably didn't want to hear that

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tell them that you really appreciate the opertunity but feel that you are more of a worker than a teacher and would feel more comfortable if the found somone else

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If you are planning on looking for work elsewhere because you don't like your job, then be honest and tell them that you do not feel comfortable in an educational role.

However, if you are wanting to stay with the company, turning down the position could be seen as not being a team player and helping out in a pinch.
The thing is, it isn't really a position, it is just an extra duty they are throwing on the helpline because they can't afford to hire a full time trainer. Helpline are senior service reps that are put on a special line to help reps taking regular calls with questions, especially the newer ones so I do have educational experience...just one on one. I also help train the new reps on the computers (another one of the duties) but again, that's one on one.

My job description is service phone rep and mentor of new hires, but not trainer. They are dumping more and more on the helpline people (there are 9 of us for a 100 person contract) to the point where we are starting to wonder what the supervisors do, except to two hour lunch meetings....all at the same time. Oh, and our max raise is $0.32 per year based on performance, QA scores and attendence. If they hired an actual trainer, she would be getting paid twice as much as I am (hence why they aren't hiring one and having us do it).

I did talk to the project manager today, and told her I don't feel comfortable being in front of a classroom, but they do have a small training session for new policy with exsisting employees starting tomorrow and I agreed to "help". She seems to think helping to train employees I already know will help, and she may be right. I may surprise myself and take over the class (yeah, right!
). But, she did say on the helpline calls (because they are all recorded and QA'ed at random) that I did explain things in much clearer terms and more thorough than most other helpline reps, so that's a good thing.

First class is tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're looking to move up in this company, especially HR, this could be the starting point for your ticket. I've seen several companies that group training sessions with the HR department.

The more you help out, the more valuable you become to your employer, whether you're worried about lay offs or not. If in the event a lay off does rise up, someone who brings a negative attitude towards the job (I'm not going to do it until they pay more as a general not-talking-about-you example) will be let go before you are.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like you work for Directv, as they are constantly using people up and throwing them away, making them do things not in their job description for no more money. They did that to a guy that they moved up from Miami to be a team leader with almost no training, left him with no money, we literally took up a collection for him so he could eat until his first paycheck and when he did not perform, they wanted to put him back on the phones. He has disappeared, and probably took several of our jobs with him since he did not know what he was doing and the paperwork he submitted showed we were not doing our jobs.
I would not do it unless it will compromise your job, or possibly keeping you from future promotions. I would definitely write the letter another poster suggested.