How much canned?

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those feeding canned only how much do your cats eat? My oldest eats 5.5-6 ounces and is 12.8 pounds and sedentary. My girl who turned a year old today is having an awful time with dry food lately so we are trying all canned. She is 11.6 pounds, slender and very active (maine coon). She is not thrilled with eating only canned but her tummy settled down immediately. She is only consuming about 5 ounces a day so far. I think for her breed and level of activity she should be eating more than this. We have only been doing all canned for 4 days now so I am hoping she will eat more once she gets over her dry food addiction. She keeps looking for her dry food. I think part of it is I am only doing chicken canned right now and she's bored with it. I want to give it some time before I add additional proteins because she has food allergies and it will have to be done 1 at a time. She was eating 2/3 -3/4 cup of dry with no canned before this while I tried to find one that agreed with her touchy stomach and didn't cause any skin reactions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
roughly one can ...

GENERAL guideline is 1/2 oz to 1oz per lb... so 11-13 lb cats each would get 5.5 to 13 oz per day if wet only feed

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about this as well.

I have 2 indoor cats, each roughly 12 lbs. One only eats dry, and the other only eats canned. Amos, who eats only canned, isn't GAINING weight but he eats a lot. He and his brother are still pretty active etc, but if he eats all the canned food in his dish, he meows and meows and won't stop until you give him more. My mom always caves in and gives him more so he's eating almost 2 cans a day. Not quite, but almost.

We took him to the vet for a checkup not long ago and the doctor said he was a good weight and didn't put him on any type of diet, so what should we do? Keep feeding him as usual or try to cut back?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by A&As Mommy

I was wondering about this as well.

I have 2 indoor cats, each roughly 12 lbs. One only eats dry, and the other only eats canned. Amos, who eats only canned, isn't GAINING weight but he eats a lot. He and his brother are still pretty active etc, but if he eats all the canned food in his dish, he meows and meows and won't stop until you give him more. My mom always caves in and gives him more so he's eating almost 2 cans a day. Not quite, but almost.

We took him to the vet for a checkup not long ago and the doctor said he was a good weight and didn't put him on any type of diet, so what should we do? Keep feeding him as usual or try to cut back?
YOUR vet answered your >???

good wt NO diet ... keep feeding him the way you are

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. One prefers dry the other wet. I feed 1 5oz. can in the AM and a 3 oz. at 6PM. Also they have access to dry for free feed,approx. 1 cup per day. This is for both cats. One is average weight the other is over weight, but its due mainly to no exercise rather than too much food. I can't cut back any further. They do not appear to be hungry as all the food is not consumed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

I have two cats. One prefers dry the other wet. I feed 1 5oz. can in the AM and a 3 oz. at 6PM. Also they have access to dry for free feed,approx. 1 cup per day. This is for both cats. One is average weight the other is over weight, but its due mainly to no exercise rather than too much food. I can't cut back any further. They do not appear to be hungry as all the food is not consumed.
A cup per day of dry along with the wet food seems too much IMO. I'll let Sharky comment on that but that could be the reason one of them is overweight, especially if not all the food is consumed.

I feed one 5.5 ounce can of wet per day (1/2 in the morning and half at dinner) for both cats to share and 1/3 cup of dry for them to share. Bijou is finally starting to lose a bit of weight and Mika (who is very tiny) is perfect and hasn't changed her weight at all with this amount of food. I believe the secret to Bijou losing weight is the addition of wet food and cutting back on free-feeding the dry food. I also changed the dry food to Orijen which has no grains so that makes a difference as well.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find these threads difficult, the rest of the world went metric years ago you know

I think about 5 or 6oz per cat per day, high quality wet

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

A cup per day of dry along with the wet food seems too much IMO. I'll let Sharky comment on that but that could be the reason one of them is overweight, especially if not all the food is consumed.

I feed one 5.5 ounce can of wet per day (1/2 in the morning and half at dinner) for both cats to share and 1/3 cup of dry for them to share. Bijou is finally starting to lose a bit of weight and Mika (who is very tiny) is perfect and hasn't changed her weight at all with this amount of food. I believe the secret to Bijou losing weight is the addition of wet food and cutting back on free-feeding the dry food. I also changed the dry food to Orijen which has no grains so that makes a difference as well.
It would depend on age proper wt and activity level
.... yes I too would think they are a bit over fed if food is left over ...

VERY GENERAL ... 10-12 cat wet only 5-12 oz , half dry 1/4 cup with 3-6 oz wet
Originally Posted by Epona

I find these threads difficult, the rest of the world went metric years ago you know

I think about 5 or 6oz per cat per day, high quality wet
lol... you give me a good conversion chart ( my metric is rusty)I promise to use it

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeding is pretty estimated based on what you are feeding and the particular animal's needs. I feed 3 5.5-6 oz cans a day to my 6 cats. 1 1/2 cans twice a day split up between them. It's sounds like nothing, it looks like nothing, but they are are a great weight, a few of them are even a tad heavy.... But I feed super premium food and also give a small snack most evenings of a handful of dry for them to share.