Dog Collars.....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had this problem before but Dakota keeps chewing up his collars.

Jake never did this so I don't know what to do.

I'm thinking of getting him a leather collar but I don't want to waste the money if he might do it again.. He slips it off, and chews it to pieces!

Any suggestions?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate's dog Kahlua destroyed four collars and two harnesses before she was four months old... She's had the same old pink leather one since and though she's gotten through the end of it, it hasn't gone to pieces like the nylon ones did.

I think it was worth the expense.

Eta: How is he getting it off? Lulu couldn't get hers off. That might change things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

My roommate's dog Kahlua destroyed four collars and two harnesses before she was four months old... She's had the same old pink leather one since and though she's gotten through the end of it, it hasn't gone to pieces like the nylon ones did.

I think it was worth the expense.

Eta: How is he getting it off? Lulu couldn't get hers off. That might change things.
He's a magician!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His collar should be tight enough so that you can slip just 2-3 fingers under it; that will prevent him from slipping it, and thus being able to chew it. Test it yourself, too, by trying to actually slip it off his head, before being satisfied with where it is adjusted too; if you can slip it over his head by hand, even if it takes a little effort (not forceable effort) then he certainly will be able to!

You could try Lupine's line of collars and leads too...they are replaceable, even if chewed; they are worth it, if you have a dog who keeps wanting to maul his collar or lead! However, they don't have regular buckle collars; they are all snap on collars (and harnesses), and sometimes they loosen when pulled on alot...that's the only downfall I have discovered!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my.....My mom's blue healer mix has a really fat neck so you can't ever get the collor tight enough that it can't be slipped off. My only idea is a harness. That's what my granny does with her Dachsond (spelling...horrible) and his neck is also too big and he chews up his collars. He can't get out of the harness and they leave it on him pretty much all the time with a little ID tag on it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leather entices some dogs to chew. Huskies normally don't have an issue with the "skinny head collar slipping syndrome".....so it might not be tight enough?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could always get a choke chain, and put a hook on the two rings to keep it together, so it's not on choke all the time. That way, too, even if he does slip it, he can't chew it either...Lol!

But, yeah, Sibes normally have a large head in comparison to their necks, so when a collar is adjusted properly it should not be slipping off, or able to slip off.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is he slipping it off? Sounds like you need to get a little smaller collar. Keno has a nylon collar. We had a leather one (red) and found out it "bleeds" - yellow dog with pink collar mark.

If you do get leather - get brown or black. What color is the dog?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

You could always get a choke chain, and put a hook on the two rings to keep it together, so it's not on choke all the time. That way, too, even if he does slip it, he can't chew it either...Lol!

But, yeah, Sibes normally have a large head in comparison to their necks, so when a collar is adjusted properly it should not be slipping off, or able to slip off.
I am going to tighten it more next time.. I'm just always so scared that it's too tight on them.

Jake has a tiny head and a fat neck so he's always slipping his off

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

How is he slipping it off? Sounds like you need to get a little smaller collar. Keno has a nylon collar. We had a leather one (red) and found out it "bleeds" - yellow dog with pink collar mark.

He's a Siberian husky.. he's black and white... I posted pics the other day

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That reminds me of when I got new nooses at the grooming salon I was working at until recently, and I forgot to wash them before I used them...well, I had mostly dark dogs for the majority of the nooses, but then I had one noose get chewed, didn't think about it, grabbed a new one, slipped it on the dog...dog left with a pink 'ring' around his neck!!! Yep...white dog...bath left 'bleed marks' from the noose! The owners didn't mind, because the dog was STILL cleaner than when he came in!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using nothing but Lupine collars for many years now. They don't seem to absorb odors and are guaranteed in case your dog chews them up.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

That reminds me of when I got new nooses at the grooming salon I was working at until recently, and I forgot to wash them before I used them...well, I had mostly dark dogs for the majority of the nooses, but then I had one noose get chewed, didn't think about it, grabbed a new one, slipped it on the dog...dog left with a pink 'ring' around his neck!!! Yep...white dog...bath left 'bleed marks' from the noose! The owners didn't mind, because the dog was STILL cleaner than when he came in!!!
I can picture it now!
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I've been using nothing but Lupine collars for many years now. They don't seem to absorb odors and are guaranteed in case your dog chews them up.
I looked up the website but they don't seem wide enough for him. I don't want this big ol' macho dog walking around with a tiny petite collar

People already think he's a girl

But they would definatly work for Jake!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had good luck with Martingale or Premier collars with dogs who can slip their collars or who have necks as wide as their heads! I had both problems with my foster Shar-Pei (wider neck, plus slipped his collars) and the Martingale solved the problems!
You can see what these look like here:
http://www.cooldogtoys.com/premieredogcollar.php

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I can picture it now!

I looked up the website but they don't seem wide enough for him. I don't want this big ol' macho dog walking around with a tiny petite collar

People already think he's a girl

But they would definatly work for Jake!
They have both 5\\8 inch and 1 inch width collars...I wouldn't think your 'macho dog' needs anything wider than an inch would he???
Anyway...perhaps they just didn't have the wider collars shown, or you have to scroll down to them when you actually are purchasing them. Hubby has a inch width harness and lead for his dog, and he was going to get the matching collar to complete the set, but never did so I know they have them...Lol!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I've had good luck with Martingale or Premier collars with dogs who can slip their collars or who have necks as wide as their heads! I had both problems with my foster Shar-Pei (wider neck, plus slipped his collars) and the Martingale solved the problems!
You can see what these look like here:
http://www.cooldogtoys.com/premieredogcollar.php
I like those. I think I'm gonna order him a red one

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
am going to tighten it more next time.. I'm just always so scared that it's too tight on them.
Just as an fyi, as long as your dog can still breathe, it's not too tight. I would definitley look into the martengale collars[like you said you are], they are used typically on greyhounds because their heads are smaller than their necks so they have a tendancy to slip their collars otherwise.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bear has a Martingale type, a nylon collar, but the slip portion is chain.
The collar is completely adjustable, and Bear's head is the same size as his neck, he's never slipped it.