red jelly like substance in drippy soggy stool?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what does this usually mean? I found some on the carpet today? Is it an indication of worms? The cat that I think did it, seems a healthy just a bit over weight

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe blood mixed w/ mucous? I know, gross...but what you are describing I have seen come out of my dog when he had colitis....best to check with the vet...get a stool culture done to be safe.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the fecal check by the vet. I know sometimes is seems like something simple we always say go to the vet. However, I do have a good reason for it.

It may be worms. With the bloody mucus though if it is worms, the probability is high that it is one of the nastier worms, such as hookworms Hooks are hard to get rid of, so it better to get a definitive diagnosis and proper treatment which most likely will take several treatments. Hooks can encyst and then reappear at a later date.

As Eliot's mom said the same symptoms can indicate colitis or IBD as well. This is much more serious and random use of de-wormers could make things worse.

I would opt for a fecal check. Maybe wouldn't even need a vet appointment, just drop off a "fresh" sample. Make sure to ask the collection and storage requirements of the vet for the sample.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it really could be an indication of many things, I think dropping off a fecal sample is a good idea.
I've only seen that once before, in Chloe, and she was very ill at the time.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about this a bit more, are you sure it is fecal in nature and not a urinary tract issue?

My chronic cystitis kitty when she was really bad would pee bloody mucus bladder lining globs. It made me cry to see these large amounts coming out of her urethra. It had to be excruciating.

If you are not sure where it is coming from, a vet visit is absolutely necessary as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it could be a urinary tract issue im not sure? If it is do I need to collect a urine sample also? Before my vet appointment just to have on hand??

How was your cat treated?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU NEED to GO into the vet since you dont know the origin

Most UTI s require one or more antibiotics ... but the vet will also check for crystals

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is best if you can bring the samples with you to the vet since then they will be sent for labs sooner - blood in stool (or urine) can be caused by so many things it is best not to try and guess so the vet would want them anyway, it may as well be at the first visit than a later one.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

it could be a urinary tract issue im not sure? If it is do I need to collect a urine sample also? Before my vet appointment just to have on hand??

How was your cat treated?
When Zoe was urinating globs like that we first had an ultra sound done. It was a possibility that it was bladder cancer. Thankfully no cancer but her bladder lining is extremely thickened. She needed 6 weeks worth of antibiotics ( 3 different kinds) and now she is on Cosequin for the rest of her life. Plus repeated urine checks forever.

If you can get a urine sample that is good, but if not they vet can get one at the office. So don't wait on making an appointment just to try and get a urine sample They may want to do a cystocentesis anyway so they have a sterile sample for culture if needed. That way they will know if any bacteria grow it came from inside the bladder.

For the fecal, it really is best if you can bring in the nastiest yuckiest part you can find. However they can also do a rectal swab to check for some things.

Bottom line, I think this is really an urgent situation because the source of where the bloody mucus is coming from is unknown. If it is urinary tract in origin that would classify it as an emergency as a blockage can kill a kitty in less than 23 hours.

I think if you call the vet and explain what is going on they are going to want to see you right away.

Please keep us posted.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with that vet visit.

When you see blood near any body function it could be numerous things from internal parasites, UTI, or even general stomach issues.

We have had Luna on a sensitive stomach formula for 2 years now. I went on a weekend trip, came back and found bloody mucas in her stools (well...it took me a couple of days to narrow down to be her).
She didn't have parasites, no UTI, just stress.

Whatever it is though many towards you cat. Keep us posted

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tests have been done and shes been totally cleared, i dont understand it, they did not find anything in the stool/urine sample

They sent me home with advantage multi and some tape worm pills

the stool/urine sample the vet got did not have any blood in it though, but they know this and didnt seem to be concerned

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tests have been done and shes been totally cleared, i dont understand it, they did not find anything in the stool/urine sample

They sent me home with advantage multi and some tape worm pills

the stool/urine sample the vet got did not have any blood in it though, but they know this and didnt seem to be concerned
A little, fresh, blood in the stool can be caused by minor bowel irritation. If it only happens once in a great while, there's no need to worry. My vet says even a little fur in the stool can cause it. If it happens frequently you need to determine the cause.

A bit of blood mixed with mucus was one of the symptoms when Coco had chronic loose stools. It went away when I found a solution for the loose stool.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what solution did you find? I have switched foods hopefully this does the trick

omg what kind of cat is coco hes so pretty

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what solution did you find? I have switched foods hopefully this does the trick
I give her Eagle Pack Holistic Solution with every meal. She can eat anything and has had nice, firm stools for about 6 months. Before she had loose stools no matter what I feed her.

omg what kind of cat is coco hes so pretty
Coco is my super sweet, utterly adorable Bengal girl!

davisbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible your puppy could have hook worm. Google the diffrent types of worms dogs get