I think I've been spoiling too much

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is such a thing.
Lately every time Popsie wants something I'm eating I give it to him. Today I gave him some cream from my long john donut. DH doesn't like it because Popsie begs him for food too. He's just too cute to resist and who knows how much longer he'll be around. I might as well give in to his every whim while I still can.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You may want to watch that. First of all, the food may be too rich and give him digestive problems. Second, that is a lot of calories for him. You need to watch his weight because once they gain, it is hard to get them to lose (personal experience here). And the extra weight means heart disease and diabetes like in humans.

kittypaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I've been spoiling Hobbit a lil to much, Im only supposed to give him like 7 temptations a day but I give him more like 20. He's to darn cute to resist..

And between my 2 cats - Spikey n' Hobbit, I go through usually 2 boxes of temptations a week

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You may want to watch that. First of all, the food may be too rich and give him digestive problems. Second, that is a lot of calories for him. You need to watch his weight because once they gain, it is hard to get them to lose (personal experience here). And the extra weight means heart disease and diabetes like in humans.
At 16 years old I think he deserves some donuts if he wants :p

kiwi kat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that cats have no taste buds to detect sugar.... could be wrong though.....

I would also be careful, as much as extra treats are yummy and good, an achy belly makes for a sad kitty...

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kat

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that cats have no taste buds to detect sugar.... could be wrong though.....

I would also be careful, as much as extra treats are yummy and good, an achy belly makes for a sad kitty...
Lol you made me Google.

As much as I understand it, cats can't taste or digest sucrose. I'm not sure about fructose and other things though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as far as him gaining weight goes he could use a few pounds. Last December at the vet he only weight 7.12 pounds. The vet didn't seem concerned. I've always noticed Popsie is really scrawny in the rear.