How do they do it?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jack our 6 month old kitten is loving the new cat tree mommy built and it was a dream come true to see him use his claws to climb up the post covered in sisal, but he reached the top of the sisal and didn't know what to do from there. Do they come back down butt first or head first?

(this is my first cat so I am clueless)

Leslie

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

So Jack our 6 month old kitten is loving the new cat tree mommy built and it was a dream come true to see him use his claws to climb up the post covered in sisal, but he reached the top of the sisal and didn't know what to do from there. Do they come back down butt first or head first?

(this is my first cat so I am clueless)

Leslie
Persi has his own private scratching post with a ledge at the top, not a real tree but I have never seen him at the top. He is content with just scratching. He does like high places though, like the top of the fridge.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because of the way their claws hook, they have to go down backwards, tushy first. This is not easily learned. Easier, if they see other cats doing it.

I've held kittens up to climbing posts or walls and mimicked the downward motions for them so they can get the idea. If they hang at the top and wail, they are asking for help, and should get it.

This is how cats get to the tops of trees... and stay there. Even adults, who have not learned this useful behavior, can get stuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'll try and get pictures of little man climbing.

I have been watching him closely and will definitely help him if it appears he really is stuck. Currently he is very ungracefully getting onto a close platform.

Leslie