Googleproofing KatKwiz!? - Feedback greatly desired.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has come to my attention that by entering "cat site" and a fragment of the question for the day that in most cases the answer can be found with Google. Not only that, but Google will point out where the answer came from on The Cat Site. I originally had in the rules that I would PM contestants to see where they got their answer from, so that they would not be googling the answer. The purpose of KatKwiz was to show members where information can be found on The Cat Site, provide a little fun, and a way of earning points. Well, the answers still are helpful but the contest of finding the answers on The Cat Site is in question. I do not want to stop KatKwiz because the answers can be googled. I would ask all our contestents to be honest and not google the answer, but I have already done that.

I am not accusing anybody of googling the answer but it has been pointed out how in many cases it can be. So my task now is to now come up with questions that cannot be googled. It's going to be a fun battle between me and the googlers.

So, in the future if you questions seem strange to you, it is because I am trying to googleproof the questions.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's kinda sad and pathetic that people feel the need to cheat on a game that has no real value except fun.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's going to be a challenge, you can darn near google anything..I guess your best bet would be to try to word you questions in a way that would confuse keyword searches...

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer the ones that involve math, even though it seems like the few times they are offered I'm not logged on to try to answer them. And the one time I did answer one, I got it wrong anyway...

But I would think that over time it is going to be rather difficult for you to come up with enough questions that can't be answered by using a search engine. I don't know...maybe have fewer questions but make the correct answer worth more points?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think the articles are harder to find on Google than the threads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I think the articles are harder to find on Google than the threads.
That's what I thought. But I have looked through questions I have used in the past from articles and can easily find them with google. Anyway, I am going to try and make all questions googleproof. See today's question as an example.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with reworking the questions...so then its not as easy to Google.

HOwever be careful with phrasing it as a question since questions can be googled too...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most people find TCS through a google search so it isn't so much of a bad thing. But simply asking questions that are not quotes with words missing should work.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

That's kinda sad and pathetic that people feel the need to cheat on a game that has no real value except fun.

What's the point of playing a game if you're gonna "cheat"?
That takes all the fun out of it..

I don't have any advice as to HOW you could stop the cheaters - I'm not all that computer savvy.
It seems to me that it would be almost impossible, with the internet being what it is..

Good luck!

~KK~

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google stinks sometimes!!!! Sometimes I will google some of my horses in the horse contest and they pop right up
I don't know how they pick the pictures they show, but I'll have to wait a week or two for that horse picture to stop showing up. (I'm not accusing either) I just want the horses to be a little hard. I expect people to google horse breeds to have any idea. (especially considering this is a cat site not a horse site

Darn you Google!