TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or maybe Norwegian Forest? I read this on google: They are rumored to be the early ancestors of the Maine Coon and the long-haired Manx.

Maybe he's all three?? lol

Thanks for any help

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about breeds, but there are a lot of people on here who do. I just wanted to say that he is very handsome!!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the Manx world, the longhairs are known as Cymrics

He's very pretty, quite a unique looking cat.
Sadly, without papers he's only a DLH, but I have a hunch he'd steal the show if you ever entered him as a HHP.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

I noticed his tail is short, was it amputated or was he born like that?
He's a Manx "stumpy" - that's what a short stubby tail is called, as I understand it.

He's gooooooooorgeous!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my oldest friends inherited a Cymric when he bought a house. The people moved and left him. He was the coolest cat ever, and very much resembles your cat, right down to the tail. He was good with pretty much everyone, and if he did not like you, it turned out it was usually for a reason. You had to get past the huge cat to get in the house. I am so envious. Enjoy him, if he is anything like my friend's cat, you have a great pet.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody! I guess I posted this in the wrong place and it was moved so I never got any reply notices!

Yes, his tail appears to be legimitately stumpy. I read up on Manx online and he fits the 'dog of cats' profile. I wondered about his big 'ruff' and all that hair.
He is very tolerant and in the month we've had him has grown more comfortable being a lap cat. I've started calling him "The King of the Couch" lol.

I will google Cymirics for more info.

FerrisCat, what's an HHP?

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh, that makes sense.

Well, he is that isn't he?? lol.

I looked up Cymric manx and that would seem to fit his description, with the mane, longer back legs, rounded face/profile, wide spaced ears. I had noticed that he is a really good jumper which happens to fit too.
Thanks everybody!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrjonah

He is very tolerant and in the month we've had him has grown more comfortable being a lap cat. I've started calling him "The King of the Couch" lol.

I will google Cymirics for more info.

FerrisCat, what's an HHP?

From what I've read, Maine Coons are not usually lapcats.

My aunt in Arizona had a Maine Coon type (like yours, not pedigreed, but looked/acted so much like. . .) who used to chase coyotes out of the yard.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's absolutely beautiful! I love the fluffy stump and his mane is gigantic! Really... beautiful!

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

He's absolutely beautiful! I love the fluffy stump and his mane is gigantic! Really... beautiful!
Aw thanks! I guess we've had him about 6 weeks now and he's becoming more and more a lap cat. He's getting the 'shelter' life out of his system and becoming a house cat again.

It's funny - we are in on the west coast of Canada and anyone who sees him says they've never seen a cat like him before...I certainly never had. I'm wondering if since we live in a military community, he came from the east with a family. I'm just guessing but he doesn't seem to have originated from our neck of the woods...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say a stumpy Norweigen Forest. Even as a LH manx, nothing hints of that breed IMO. I think the SPCA called it "manx" cause of the short tail

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd say a stumpy Norweigen Forest. Even as a LH manx, nothing hints of that breed IMO. I think the SPCA called it "manx" cause of the short tail
Ya, I think you're right.

Interestingly, I looked up Norweigan Forest on wikipedia and it says:

"They are rumored to be the early ancestors of the Maine Coon and the long-haired Manx."

"They are very large cats with adult males weighing 13 to 22 lb. Their hind legs are longer than their front legs. They are very intelligent, playful cats that enjoy human company."

The SPCA just said he was a 'Buff colored Domestic Long Hair"

Being a stray it's hard to know for sure but he sure fits that profile and looks like it too. The only thing he's missing is the ear tufts...