Whew, voting is hard!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I needed to go out for a walk, so accompanied my neighbour to go vote. She'd been told she had to vote at the fire station over the road. So we went over there, and they said that no, she had to go to a church that was about a mile away.

We thought oh well, it's a lovely day, thats fine. So we walked down there, and they said no, you're in the wrong place. My neighbour called me over (I was watching her baby), and asked for help finding our place on a map, and we found it, and the lady said "oh, you have to vote at the fire station".

My neighbour said that we'd just been there, and the lady said they were wrong, she does vote there. I said no no no no no. If she was supposed to vote there, she'd be on the roll, are you SURE that's where she's supposed to vote???. She sighed at me dramatically, and said "fine, call the polling number".

So I did, and they said she had to vote at a school which was back in the direction we'd come, but another mile past home - so 2 miles away from where we were.

We had first walked down to the corner store and post office, so we've walked about 5 miles in total. My doctors gave me clearance to walk, walk, walk as much as I could, and I feel fine, so fingers crossed my heart stays happy!

It was soo annoying though! Stupid people!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better, it's 20F outside here, so walking would freeze your bum off!

Did she eventually get to vote?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like the town my mom lives in! We rejoiced when they finally allowed people to vote by mail-in ballot there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Just outta curiosity whats everyone voting for today???
It's Super Tuesday! Most states are voting in the Democratic and Republican Primaries. I reckon Obama might get it in California. I also think Mitt Romney may do well here. Despite not being allowed to vote myself, I'll be watching with interest.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow - after all that to find your polling station? Mail-in ballots are the way to go!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I havn't heard anything about that so maybe South Dakota doesn't do it.... I dunno! Alls I know is I vote in November this year!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Iluvdevons

Wow - after all that to find your polling station?
I went through that one year. I didn't get a voting card indicating where to go. I called the Elections office and was told where I was to vote. I went across town to City Hall as directed, only to be told that is only for advanced voting. They told me to go to a church in my area. I went. That wasn't my polling station. They sent me to some senior building. Again, not my polling station. That place said I should be voting at the school 3 blocks from my home.

I went home and put my feet up and didn't bother to vote. Haven't voted since actually. I know it's important, but last year I think it was we had something like 4 elections and I was totally fed up with people coming around to my door.

Maybe for the next one I'll lie and tell them I'll be away so I can do advanced voting.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Hmmm, I havn't heard anything about that so maybe South Dakota doesn't do it.... I dunno! Alls I know is I vote in November this year!
You haven't seen all the Super Tuesday press on the tv and all over the media! Lucky you! I don't know how to escape it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before I got married I always had trouble voting. My maiden name was also a common first name, and it always got switched around. Pain in the everywhere.

Voting today was no problem. Last night I looked up my polling place just to be sure it was the same as on my card. Our state website had a feature for it online.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they really take law and order off for this???? Darnit! (yes I just had to edit out my swear words!) I was looking forward to that and now all of a sudden outta nowhere Im watching Super Tuesday!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
That does explain the massive ammounts of 0 numbers on my phone though.... I dont answer 0 numbers, they are always a bunch of hoowie!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - I'm glad in Austalia you can vote from whereever you are - You don't have to go to one particular place to vote!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Wow - I'm glad in Austalia you can vote from whereever you are - You don't have to go to one particular place to vote!
I know!!! I was telling everyone who would listen that was a much more sensible way of doing it!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Yeah, that would be nice, but Americans seem to think you have to work for it

Actually it's really sad...while I was there voting a woman came in and her name wasn't in the book, so they told her to go to another polling place. I wonder if she really went or just got annoyed and gave up. In this day and age there's no reason we can't get a centralized data base so you can vote whereever the heck you want

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having worked the polls these past 10+ years, I know the frustration your friend must have felt. The poll I worked always called for people because others wouldn't.

At least you got a good walk in.