I need some tips to help my sick cat:refuses to eat/drink

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Tania and Zoe, my 9 months old cats both got a cold from our previous foster cat (Rest in peace, sweet Maya). Zoe healed very fast, but Tania is still pretty sick. The vet has been following her and she isn't that worried, but I am, because she refuses to eat and drink by herself.

Here are her symptoms now: Running nose and eyes (the fluids are yellowish, wich is bad), lethargy, dehydratation, sneezing and (sometimes coughing a little), refuses to eat/drink (for a few days now), stopped cleaning herself (for a few days now).

(Usually, she is miss energy, running everywhere and asking to be pet. Also, she always used to be very clean, smell good and no problem with her appetite. Now, she's always curled up, won't move, she smells bad, her fur is all messy, she looks terrible and sometimes has to breath through her mouth. When I force feed her, it's the drama: she cries, tries to get away, etc). The vet said nothing is wrong with her lungs though and there is no ulcers in her mouth. She thinks she is just scared of eating because she cannot smell the food plus she is unable to breath at the same time.

I'm running out of tricks, so I need a little help.

Here's everything me and the vet have done: She's on antibiotics (Clavamox) since yesterday, I now have pills for her appetite, wich seems to help, but she still won't go eat by herself (I have to put food on my finger and then she licks it (she won't chew it). It takes forever to eat one fifth of a can. It doesn't help her to drink, though. I give her L-lysine, wich is supposed to help if she has a secondary infection caused by a herpes virus as well as boosting her immunitary system. Also, twice a day a lock her in the bathroom with steamy water running to help clean her nose. Finally, she got fluids injected under her skin yesterday to prevent dehydration and I brought a big quantity at home (the vet showed me how to do) and I have to inject her about 100ml everyday. That's the worse, she yells, bites, scratch, tries to get away (usually, she is very quiet and had never bit me or scratch me before). Also, I warm her food before giving it to her so that she is more able to smell it a little.

I know that many people here have experience with their cats being sick, so I'm asking about some tips that some of you might have developped over the years. Is there anything more I could do to either help Tania get better or help her eat and drink by herself or just make her feel better (because she really looks like she feels terrible)?

Thank you for your time and help, I know this was a long post, but I'm getting a little desperate. It's been a whole week now of force feeding her and forcing her to drink. She was already so tiny, now she's just bones and skin and I'm worried about her getting depressed as well. (I give her meds 6 times a day, lock her in bathroom, force feed her 5 times a day, it's not a life for a young cat...).

Marilou

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried syringing the food? It might be faster than finger feeding, which means you could get more food into her. You might also try different types of canned food, people food like boiled chicken, or blending the food so it's more liquidy (you can blend it with a food supplement like Rebound, or a cat-milk product like Catsip, to preserve the calories). Even if she won't eat that straight up, you'll have it ready for syringing if need be.

myboys15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read about your Tania. I have only had 1 experience with a very ill kitty that will not eat. These are the supplies that I used:

The vet gave me:
1. A “special†liquid supplement called Rebound,
2. Science Diet A/d.
3. 3 large gauge syringes. {To force feed him with} Each syringe only lasted 3-4 feedings. I had 3 syringes on hand at all times.}

I also used:
1. Baby food: chicken, turkey NOTHING THAT CONTAINED ONION
2. Baby wipes
3. A fine tooth comb
4. 3 medium old towels
5. Lots of patients and love.

I kept a record of how much he ate and what times I fed him. This is to help you keep track of what and when he eats. I would mix the Rebound and A/D in the blender and make a Slurry. I would put the rebound in first and than add the A/D until the consistence was thick enough. Baby food will also thicken the mix up too. I do not remember the amount of food that he needed to eat at each feeding. I think that it was 2-3 syringes full. My boy was feed every 2-3 hours during the day and 2-3 times at night (sleeping hours). I would heat the food up if it was in the fridge by putting the food in a “Tupperware†sealed container and placing that sealed container in a dish of hot water.

What to do before you get ready to feed:

Get all supplies ready
1.\ttowel
2.\tbaby wipes
3.\tcomb
4.\tslurry with 2-3 syringes filled (this way you do not have to try a fill one while your baby is on your lap)

This is how I got my boy to eat:

I would sit on the sofa, put my feet on the coffee table, and place my boy on my legs facing me. I would “wrap†the towel around him while on my lap. I would aim the food toward the roof of his mouth. (My boy only had 4 teeth left so there was a gap between the gums for me to put the syringe in). If Tania is fussy try a “smelly†food first and than throw in the “good for her†food. My boy did not always eat well at each feeding. The baby wipes are for you to clean Tania up after the feedings. Patience and love are needed because it can be tough to get a kitty who is not feeling well to eat.

I am sure that there are more experienced people on the board than me. But, I hope what I wrote can help. Sending you good vibes Tania. Best wishes and good luck.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had the same problem with Meeko. The Vet told me to try babyfood. Meeko ha dthe high fever then the Cold hit. How long has your Cat ben ike that? Meeko would just sleep and hide. She would eat nothing at all. She got a shot and Clavamox. She was on it for 4 days before she would eat or drink anything. The Vet did give her Sub Q's. She is fine now but Coco caught it and is on Cephalexen for one more week. I think it depends on the Cat. My Coco had 2 severe Colds since 2005 and she ate with them and drank. Her Asthma was out of control with them. She had the thick yellow and green stuff and her nose now isnt alll black. It took the pigment off it. The cold she caught now I stopped before it coud get out of control. She didnt want to eat alot for a few days. The vet told me they can not smell when they get colds like that and that is why they wil not eat. Meeko was terrible and I almost took her back to the Vet but she started eating al of a sudden.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I already have a few replies, that's great!

cloud_shade: When I feed Tania with a syringe, she cries so much I'm scared she will drown in it, I don't know what to do. It's like she is scared of the food if she doens't eat it by herself. She will only eat without crying if I put a bit of food on my finger and she licks it. It's very long, but it doesn't seem as painful to her. Should I still switch to feeding her with a syringe? Also, I tried chicken broth and it didn't work...

Myboys15: As I just said, unfortunatly I'm not sure I can feed her with a syringe, what do you think? In any case, you gave me a lot of tips and I'll certainly feed her more often (I understand that 5 times a day isn't enough) during the day and the night. I'll try the baby food to see if she likes it better and ask my vet about Rebound. If I try feeding her with a syringe, I will use your method (the towel around kitty is a great idea).

mews2much: I understand my cat isn't the only one reluctant to food when she is sick! Tania has been like that for a week now. At first she kept eating, though. I'd say she stopped eating/drinking by herself 5 day ago. She seems better today, though. She already ate half a can of good wet food and it's only 3 pm! Sometimes, while swallowing she'll complain, but she keeps eating. I think it's those pills for the appetite that makes her even more hungry and help her eat (even though she doesn't really wants too). Your story reassures me, I guess she will just suddenly start to eat normally once she gets a little better.

Thanks for all your help! I'll give you guys feedback on how she is doing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Coco just had her Bladder Infection. She was refuses to eat because the Clavamox made her Sick. I hope your Cat gets better soon. Could she have a Sore Throat too?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Defiantely keep up with eh Sub-Q fluids....dehydrated kitties often don't eat/drink. Have you tried tricks like adding tuna, etc.

If her URI is this bad, Clavamox might not lick you....you might want to just jump & try Doxycyclene (sp?). You should see improvement within 5 days of Clavamox.

Vet told me wait an hour after Sub-Qs then feed the kitty warmed smelly wet food. Tried Meow Mix wet pouches/cups? They reek to high heaven!

You said she cries like it hurts....does she have a sore throat as well? That'll make one not want to eat.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've had some great ideas already....

Two things I would suggest.

One, about giving the fluids....some fluids are known to "sting", and these often cause kitty to resist the treatment...Lactated Ringers Solution is the one that is most favoured by people treating CRF kitties. More info here
http://felinecrf.org/fluid_therapy.htm#lactated_ringers

Also, the temperature of the fluid should match or slightly exceed the cat's body temperature...
The idea here is to warm up the bag of fluid so that it is close to the normal cat body temperature of approximately 102° F. It only makes good sense. If you put 100mL of fluid into a 10 lb cat, that's the equivalent of putting 2 liters (over 1/2 gallon) of fluid under the skin of a 200 lb guy like me! It's a LOT of liquid to put under the skin, and if it's cold it is going to be VERY uncomfortable. Most cats don't like to be cold.....There are lots of ways people warm the fluid bag, but most of them involve immersing the bag in hot water until it is the right temperature.
( http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html )
That site also has some other very practical ideas & tricks that will make the process go smoothly.

Second, you might want to try this baby food: Gerber Stage 2 all meat It is a pudding consistency -- no "bits" are visible. "Most cats go bonkers for it".

All the best!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for your Tania!

I am so sorry you are both going through this.

Even though Zoe is doing fine - did the vet give you clavamox for her as well so she doesn't get the URI given back to her again?

It is pretty normal for sick kitties to stop cleaning themselves. You may want to bathe her with kitty wipes and brush her to help her smell/feel better.

We had a VERY sick kitty that stopped eating. His problem was not a URI, so it was not that he couldn't smell the food. He was terribly anemic, and just didn't remember to eat, didn't remember why he was standing in front of the bowl, and was too tired to eat.

However, as I think you've learned by now (though not from your vet), cats cannot go without eating for long - their systems are not set up to handle it. They must eat.

So if you have the patience to feed her with your finger, that's fine. But despite your fear of hurting her, it really is OK to take control of the situation. Lazlo often lunges after Tuxedo and I would swear a cougar is attacking him - and he sounds like a wounded cougar. But Lazlo hasn't even touched him.

Have you ever had to pill or give liquid meds to a cat? The best way, IMO to do it, is to treat it like medicine. Get down on the floor on your knees, sit with your heels on your butt, and make a "V" with your knees. Cradle her with her butt toward you in the "V" of your legs. Have a syringe of food ready. I would initially use baby food, probably chicken. We usually buy Gerber all meat. We weren't giving sub-q liquids, so we watered it down just a little bit (with warm water) to make it easier to get through the syringe and to get the extra hydration.

If you're right-handed, hold her head in your left hand, and use your index finger at the back of her jaw to open her mouth. With the syringe in your right hand, slip it in to the back of her mouth - over the hump of her tongue - really pretty much aimed directly at her throat (basically push it quickly over the tongue then slow down and push till it stops - that'll be her thraot - if she gags, you know you got it), and push the syringe half way down. Let her get that down - she may yowl or throw her head around - just remember that YOU ARE IN CHARGE and she needs food! Your confidence will go a long way to helping her - don't let her fear be contagious, let your confidence be contagious.

All of this can be done very quickly - she really shouldn't have time to complain. When she's swallowed the first bit, give her the rest of one syringe. I'd do this every two hours.

However, I am very concerned about your vet's opinion of the situation. I find it very strange that she wasn't concerned about Tania eating, and I'm very concerned if she didn't explain to you the seriousness of getting her to eat. I assume they gave you Cypro for the appetite? If Cypro combined with antibiotics don't work to improve her appetite within 24 hours, the problem could me more serious than a URI, and if it were my cat, I would get another vet opinion ASAP.

I agree with Natalie (White Cat Lover) - if it is a URI and it's this serious, then Clavamox may not do the trick, and you may need the Doxy.

Of course I'm so sorry about your previous foster cat, Maya, may she rest in peace.
But in the future, if you are going to foster, there are steps you can take to prevent something like this from happening again. Foster kitties should be kept separated from the household kitties for a minimum of several weeks. This is not only because of the introduction process - but to ensure that if foster is sick, it'll exhibit itself before they interact with your pets. We each have a pair of coveralls that zip up over whatever we're wearing. We leave our shoes/socks outside the door of the separation room and the coveralls right inside the door. We step in, zip up, and hang with kitties. We leave the coveralls and sandals behind, and immediately go wash our hands (and faces if necessary).

Because we have a kitty with an autoimmune disease and thus a depressed immune system, we may be more careful than most. But even when we've been out to the shelter, we take off everything in the garage before we get inside, drop our clothes in a plastic bag and off to the laundry it is. And, obviously, wash our hands as we walk through the kitchen.

Sending heaps of vibes to your Tania. I hope her appetite picks up soon!

Oh - as someone else suggested, you really may want to try boiling chicken in water (nothing else) and seeing if she wants to eat any of the warm (not hot) shredded chicken, or any of the warm (not hot) chicken water.

When our Tuxie wouldn't eat, the vet said give him anything he'll eat. We tried the chicken, all the baby foods, tuna - and finally we hit on it. Warm boiled shrimp. It's not real healthy for them - but at that point we didn't care. He just needed food, and at least it's got protein. After a few days he went for the shredded chicken and boiled chicken water, and then we were able to get him back on actual cat food.

Please keep us posted!

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

for your Tania!

When our Tuxie wouldn't eat, the vet said give him anything he'll eat. We tried the chicken, all the baby foods, tuna - and finally we hit on it. Warm boiled shrimp. It's not real healthy for them - but at that point we didn't care. He just needed food, and at least it's got protein. After a few days he went for the shredded chicken and boiled chicken water, and then we were able to get him back on actual cat food.

Please keep us posted!

Laurie
try a variety of fish products - they usually are pretty stinky, & most cats really like them. when i realized that Java had dropped 2 pounds in a month
i tried tuna in oil, & bought herring steaks in oil [never got to them] & salmon in oil. she REALLY liked the salmon, so the rest went to the ferals. i bought about 3 packages of salmon before she began regaining.
good luck!

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that I couldn't reply earlier, I've been quite busy with Tania and everything (but I did get the chance to come by I read your advice!).
So, Tania started eating "by herself"! Here's my trick: I warm a little her food, I put it in a plate (not in her bowl...or in any bowl, because she can't smell the food and she can't see it either, so she won't eat) and I start by giving her some with my finger. This way, she knows it's food and she knows it's good. Then, I put my finger in the plate (she will follow it because she is hungry) and she will realise there's more food in the plate. And then...she eats! Well, eat is a big word...she lick the food and it takes forever. So, she gets tired and stops and I have to convince her again to keep eating. This morning, she was able to eat one third of a can with almost no help, but I took half an hour. She still won't drink though.

mews2much: I think you are right, what makes her complain when I force her to eat is what seems to me like a sore throat. It's a good thing Clavamow doesn't make her sick, though! The trick is to feed her a little before giving her the meds, because on an empty stomack, especially with the bad taste of it (from Tania's face I can tell) it is easy to make kitty sick.

white cat lover: Like I just said above, I think her throat is sore, you are right too! As for Sub-Q fluids, I have bad news... I've seen the vet do it (and Tania was out of her mind, like if she was about to die...) but I just CAN'T do it. Even with the help of my BF (and he is strong) she would move so much (and the needle is so huge), I was scared of hitting her spine or something. It hurts her so bad that she puked right after I tried. So, I'm thinking: how can this helps, if she throws up all of the little amount of food I was able to make her eat?! Instead I inject 3 feeding syringes (of 6ml) of water in her mouth every few hours (until she get about 100ml a day), do you think that it will do it?

As for Clavamox, she's only been on it for 3 days now, so I'll wait a little before switching (I already see improvment). I tried many food (including tuna and chicken) and nothing would work when she didn't want to eat. What worked best for me is pet food called Prescription Diet a/d and another one for recovering cats and dogs. The texture is really soft and easier for Tania to lick. Also, I think they are tasty.

BLAISE: Thank you for the info on the fluids. I tried it, but unfortunatly wasn't able to give it to Tania. I warmed it up before though and I will know what to do if she really needs it. For now she seems better and I make her drink a lot of water. And she eats. She's already going through so much and it painful and it makes her sick to have fluids injected under her skin...I'll call the vet about that to see what she thinks. As for the baby food, I'll keep it in mind if she refuses to eat again but (thanks Lord), for now she wants to eat and I'm happy with it!

Laurie: No, the vet didn't give any Clavamox for Zoe...I hope she won't catch it. For now she is still fine, but I will still ask the vet about it. If I had known, I would've ask her when I got there with Tania. I don't understand, I told her I had another cat that catched to cold too, but that was fine now. Ah, well...

So, I 'mo going to the vet today to buy more soft food (the brand Tania accepts to eat
) and I'll ask about kitty wipes. She'll feel so much better when she's clean and brushed, (I'll tell her you gave me the idea)! I understand what you mean about why kitties stops cleaning: I really think she just feels so sick that she doesn't care about cleaning herself (plus, she can't smell that she smells bad).

You gave me confidence with Tania and, even though she now eats more by herself, it helps me when I give her water. I used to give her half a ml at the time and it would take forever to make her drink the smallest amount of water! I don't quite do it in two shots, though, but I'm getting better (and a lot less nervous). And you were right, she's just complaining for nothing, she won't drown or anything and she swallows all of it!

About my vet: She did told me about the importance of eating and drinking, she just didn't tell me really HOW to make kitty eat. She explained to me the feeding syringe and all, but she didn't show it to me. So, when I tried it and Tania started to panic and yelling, I got scared and thought I was killing her instead of helping! (That's why I came to ask here for tip!) Since Tania's appetite is great now (and she's gaining strenght), I'll wait before switching from Clavamox to Doxy. I think she is really recovering now. But, my vet is calling me today and I will go there too, so I will ask a lot of questions and if the answers do not please me, I'll get a second opinion.

Now I know the importance of isolating foster cats AND swtiching clothes/washing hands when going from the foster cat to my kitties. It's a mistake (due to my lack of knowledge in this field) I won't ever make again. Concerning foster cat: if I get another pregnant cat, do you think she and her babies woud have enough place in a deep wardrobe (walk-in size)? I live in a semi-loft with only two closed bedroom: one is where my kitties go to sleep (and where is their food and litt) and the other is where I sleep. Since BF doesn't like his sleep being disturbed, but still likes the project of having another foster cat, I was thinking about clearing the floor of a big wardrobe we have (it's only 3 feet wide, but it's like 10 feet large and it's very high, so there's a lot of air circulation).

laureen227: Thanks for the tip! I could use that as a treat after I give her meds and water. She ates swallowing the pills and being forced to drink. What is good thoughis that I found a type of soft food she likes to eat, so I won't switch it!

Well, that was a long post! I just wanted you all to know how precious your tips and experience are to me and Tania. She's already better and I wouldn't have helped her much without your help (and the research I made on the forums of TCS). I will keep you posted on how she is doing (and I'll have to post a picture of Tania when sick and then after, you won't believe it!).

Thanks!

Marilou

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any knowledge to add... just for Tania that she gets to feeling better soon. Some eating is better than none even if it does take her an hour. Heck, Wickett is perfectly healthy and he licks his food too so it takes him twice as long to eat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful news! I'm SO glad Tania's eating (almost) on her own now. She is on the road to recovery.

I really don't know how to answer your question about whether the wardrobe is enough room or not. It's obviously more room than they'd have in a cage.... but there's not much room in there for people to be able to spend time with kitties. And if the wardrobe is in your bedroom, if your kitties have access to the bedroom, closing them out to open the wardrobe and let kittens romp and play doesn't create a "safety" barrier because the germs/virii (sp?) would then be in a shared space. How long after the kittens are born would you be fostering the family? I guess that would be a part of the answer. ????

Obviously people who live in apartments with open layouts or just one bedroom they can't close off foster - but it's simply at the risk of passing illness back and forth. So I guess it kind of boils down to a risk/reward decision you have to make. If you're willing to risk disease and have the financial means to deal with it.....

Gary and I used to foster. But then one of our kitties developed an autoimmune disease, and because of the long-term use of steroids (which depress his immune system) to keep him alive, we no longer foster. Sometimes we want to do things that just don't make practical sense for the time/circumstances.

Most importantly - I'm so glad to hear Tania's doing better!

Laurie

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad she is better. I hope she will drink soon. It seems so many Cats are getting URI's right now. My Vet said its the time of year.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

Concerning foster cat: if I get another pregnant cat, do you think she and her babies woud have enough place in a deep wardrobe (walk-in size)? I live in a semi-loft with only two closed bedroom: one is where my kitties go to sleep (and where is their food and litt) and the other is where I sleep. Since BF doesn't like his sleep being disturbed, but still likes the project of having another foster cat, I was thinking about clearing the floor of a big wardrobe we have (it's only 3 feet wide, but it's like 10 feet large and it's very high, so there's a lot of air circulation).
In my opinion, that wardrobe is not adequate at all.
I applaud your desire to help needy kitties by fostering but because of the your rather small home situation and the very real threat of cross contamination from a foster cat to your kitties, volunteering at a shelter might be your best option.
They always need caring people to help and it's obvious that you care.

You are still young...
later in your life, when you are settled into a larger home, fostering a mommy kitty might be a real joy for you, but for now, I seriously hope that you consider becoming a volunteer at a shelter.
Your own kitties need and deserve to be your number one priority.

I am glad that Tania continues to improve.

Tania

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of fostering how about volunteering at the shelter ... I know mine has things from dog walking to socializing semi ferals( very very rewarding
)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just read this thread and you've done an excellent job with the help you've received here from our members and staff. Carry this on by volunteering at your local shelters to get more education on this and you'll be an excellent foster mum

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, first, some news of Tania! She is now a bit more like herself: she is awake longer, she won't play yet, but she will sit and watch closely Zoe when she plays, she eats enough (1 can and a half every day now) and it takes her a lot less time and today she started cleaning by herself (I cleaned her yesterday, I guess she liked the feeling of it, because since then I've seen her lick her fur a few time
). I'm not sure if she drinks by herself yet (I haven't seen her do it), so I keep feeding her water with a syringe every few hours. She stopped complaining, I guess I got more confident (and better) at doing it and her throat is probably not as sore. Also, her eyes are not goopy anymore.

Considering fostering, I think Laurie, Xocats, Sharky and Rosiemac all made a good point: what I have best to offer now is to help a shelter by volunteering. The only way I could have a foster cat at home would be to let all the cats be together (no isolation). I will get all the vaccinations for my kitties, but I still don't think it would be good to have a foster cat with them. Especially if she is pregnant and scared. I wouldn't want my cats to contamine the foster cat either. Even with their vaccines, they can still cary the URI for a long time I heard. Thanks for your opinions on the subject and, of course, thanks to all for helping me with Tania.

Marilou