Who likes oatmeal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Raisins and Spice the morning food of Emperors
My Royal Court agrees with you. Raisins and Spice is a favorite of this Emperor.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
while i was in australia i loved the rasperry vanilla oatmeal! yummm

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer my toast for breakfast, but if i have oatmeal or porridge as we call it, i have to have some sort of fruit in it like a sliced banana.

Do you people make yours with milk and sweetner?. Gil does it the scottish way which is water and salt
He thinks the way i do it spoils it.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I prefer my toast for breakfast, but if i have oatmeal or porridge as we call it, i have to have some sort of fruit in it like a sliced banana.

Do you people make yours with milk and sweetner?. Gil does it the scottish way which is water and salt
He thinks the way i do it spoils it.
I love it with water and salt!! and then milk on top!!! it makes me feel homely and reminds me of having my mum around

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like oatmeal in cookies provided there is something else in there besides the oatmeal. And I use oatmeal as a filler for hamburger/meatload.

However, there are a few times a year where I absolutely crave a bowl of oatmeal. I have no idea why, but when it hits that's all I eat during the day!

My cholesterol is high, so this past few weeks I've been making it a point to have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning for breakfast before going to the gym. A SlimFast shake just wasn't keeping me full enough for my work out and I was starting to feel hungry and weak part way through my gym session so I decided to switch to oatmeal on gym days. I still don't like it, but I know it helps lower cholesterol and it has been keeping me feeling full and energized while at the gym.

My favourite cereals are cold cereals, but only so long as they stay crunchy. As soon as they get soggy I'm done. Special K with Redberries is my absolute favourite (my cats' too!)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm having right now! I go in phases of really liking it to never wanting to eat it again but it's a good (and quick if you use instant) breakfast perfect for mornings like today where I woke up 45min late!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have oat bran almost every morning with either raisins or dark brown sugar and milk. The texture is similar to Cream of Wheat, but with more fiber and protein.
My favorite is steel cut oats, but I usually don't have time for it. I did find a shortcut recently: bring it to a boil for 1 minute and let it sit overnight and then just cook for 10 to 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Now if I could only remember to do it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I have oat bran almost every morning with either raisins or dark brown sugar and milk. The texture is similar to Cream of Wheat, but with more fiber and protein.
My favorite is steel cut oats, but I usually don't have time for it. I did find a shortcut recently: bring it to a boil for 1 minute and let it sit overnight and then just cook for 10 to 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Now if I could only remember to do it.
Or you could use a slow cooker and cook it all night while you sleep and it's ready when you wake up

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fav is steel cut oats with waw sugar and half&half!!! I make a batch then refrigerate the rest and then heat up in microwave for rest of week!!

But I've recently tried Quakers Simple Harvest (maple brown sugar w/ pecans and vanilla almond) which is pretty good. Except that the packets are rather small and don't add the amount of liquid that the pkt recommends its way to much.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Quaker Instant Oatmeal every day. I looked at the flavoured packs and the calorie and sugar content was soooooo high compared to the plain ones! So I just get the plain ones and put in some milk, and either just have it like that or put in some honey or sometimes a bit of brown sugar.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my oatmeal in the chewy cookies made by Great Harvest Bread Company. They put in chocolate chips and walnuts.