Bad Cat?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Radar first came home, that first week he drove me absolutely round the bend. That's what kittens are like, if people want a stuffed animal that's what they should get.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Mychief taken from his mum at just 6 weeks and now about to be separated from his sister
Perhaps someone could try refering her to this site?

Everything she's complaining about sounds so normal, how many of us have cats that use the litter right after we clean it. It's like a rule for cats

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties are nearly 3 and 4 years old, and they are still doing the same thing. Heck Teufel was throwing up on our bed while i was laying in it and blerg! haha

She sure would go mental if she had my cats.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She described Sadie to a T...and I dont get upset with Sadie I get a kick out of her I think its hilarious!!! We call it serenading when Sadie immediately runs to the box after its cleaned...as soon as we clean it we know that Sadie or Tigger will be immediately in to serenade and sometimes fight over who gets to do the honors! Sadie lives for our cabinets as does Tigger they lay on their backs under the cabinet doors and try to open then sometimes making an Ungodly amount of noise. Tigger is consistent in his daily routine of knocking something off the microwave or fridge! They're a real riot to live with and I wouldnt have it any other way...Id say the cat needs to rehome the owner and not the other way around!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

My kitties are nearly 3 and 4 years old, and they are still doing the same thing. Heck Teufel was throwing up on our bed while i was laying in it and blerg! haha

She sure would go mental if she had my cats.
Sounds like my bunch too
She'd have a coronary if she woke up to Tonka
on her pillow, right next to her head... Like I have on a couple occasions

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very hard time believeing that she's the cat lover she claims to be or that her other 3 cats are perfect angels! Poor little Mischief probably just wants some attention.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the time to drop her this email:

I saw your ad on Craig's List. It seems a shame to separate 2 sibbling kitties. They were too young to be taken from their mother at 6 weeks old, and now Myschief is going to suffer a second trauma of being separated from his sister.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but your ad is so negative that he doesn't stand a chance
In fact a scientist will probably adopt him and use him as a test subject for all kinds of horrible experiments, which is what happens to a great number of "give away" kittens and cats.

To be honest Myschief sounds like your typical kitten wanting to play. Like kids, all kittens are different and have different personalities and needs. Just because one kitten or many kittens that you've had in the past weren't like Myschief, doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with Mychief. He just has his own personality and needs, just like each of your kids do.

Myschief sounds like he is high energy kitten and just needs more interaction and stimulation. Frankly he sounds bored and is making his own entertainment, and seeking your attention through negative actions. Cats do not understand being yelled/screamed at, hit or locked up in a room for "bad behaviour". They need positive reinforcement and praise for when they do good things.

I can understand that you are frustrated. I've had a few kittens in my time that really tested my patience, but I spent more time interacting with them in order to play out their energy, and in time as they got older, they calmed down.

I am a member of "The Cat Site", http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ There are lots of members there who absolutely adore cats, and they can offer you some suggestions on how to manage Myschief. Before you give up on him, please take the time to visit TCS and post in the behaviour forum about what he does and what you do when he does it. Let us help you so that you don't further traumatize this poor kitten by separating him from his sister.

Regards,

Linda

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm... it sounds like she was writing an ad for Kit

Poor little guy. Maybe she will come here! That was a great idea, Linda, directing her here.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing she described sounds like that big a deal to me.. but I don't like the way she makes it sound like he is doing "bad" things on purpose. My cat does the same things with the litterbox -- and I've never even really thought about it.. and it surely doesn't bother me. Your email was well written. I hope she doesn't get defensive.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you guys. It may be, due to his personality, that he suffered more than his sister b/c of the early separation, and didn't develop kitty manners. He does sound high energy and bored. He may need another high energy kitten to play with... and that would draw him away from the so-called "bad behavior."

Linda - that was a wonderful note. Don't be surprised if the woman doesn't come here or even sends you back a snotty reply.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny how the litter box thing was one that jumped up on me too. Happens in our house too, and I always just laugh at it (like I would not prefer to go, say, to shower when someone just cleaned it up). I guess anything will start to grate on your nerves when you are just at your wits end and don't have sympathy left for someone.

Anyhow, I just wanted to offer a positive way to look at the litter box thing... Even though it can be irritating that kitty goes right after it was cleaned, think what a tool it is when you need/want the kitty to go - like when you need a sample or when you are planning to travel and prefer the cat to go before leaving. All I need to do is to head for the litter box and ask who needs to take a piddle and at least somebody will turn up as I rattle the scoop...
In our house the most eager beaver will nearly go on the scooper.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats will sit there and watch me clean out the cat box..sometimes when I'm done cleaning one and go to the other (I have 2)...
one cat will go into the one that I just cleaned and scratch around in it..
lol
as for knocking stuff over? sure...
they still do that..

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like Mychief is that bad. My cats still do a lot of that stuff and I just laugh every time. They are just hilarious when they try to act innocent when they know you've seen everything they have done. Someone should definitely refer her to this site. Mychief sounds like a normal kitten to me.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Poor Mychief taken from his mum at just 6 weeks and now about to be separated from his sister
Perhaps someone could try refering her to this site?

Everything she's complaining about sounds so normal, how many of us have cats that use the litter right after we clean it. It's like a rule for cats
Well said!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a problem with this - if this woman has had cats her entire life, she must have had stuffed ones or very boring cats that didn't do much of anything.

This kitten is acting normal (tho in the teenage stage). I just wonder how old her other cats were when she had them. Sounds like a person who has had lazy cats and has NO experience with a normal active cat. I hope she never adopts a Siamese/Oriental/Rex/Ocicat/Aby/Bengal in the future!