Dragging bum on the carpet?!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MY cat just came out of the litterbox and dragged her butt all over the carpet?!

She's NEVER done that before!

I know with a dog it means that the glands need to be emptied, but I have no clue what it means with a cat!

Is this normal behavior or should I take her to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
worms cause that?

I dewormed her(and my other cat) for roundworms and tapeworms about a year ago and haven't redone the treatment because neither of them(or my other critters) go outside.

I DID babysit a kitty last month though and she had tapeworms. I redid the tapeworm treatment for my cats and the cat I was babysitting though, but I didn't give them the pills for roundworms.

Hmmm...maybe you're right!

I'll see if the pills are still good for the roundworms. If not then I'll just take both kitties to the vet and get them dewormed this weekend.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be worms or maybe she just had some poop caught on her butt.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be worms or it could be an anal gland problem- it certainly signifies discomfort and I would take her to the vet.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, should I take her to the vet tomorrow, or give her the worm meds and see if that works first. It certainly doesn't hurt to save a bit of money, lol, but if she might have something more serious then I'd take her to the vet and not want to put it off by giving her the meds.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't hurt to have her looked at, but I know that Bella did this once because she got some poo stuck on her butt...luckily it was linoleum and not carpet

So, it may not be dire...she may just need some adjustment on the food if she's having soft poos and the vet rules out worms...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Well, should I take her to the vet tomorrow, or give her the worm meds and see if that works first. It certainly doesn't hurt to save a bit of money, lol, but if she might have something more serious then I'd take her to the vet and not want to put it off by giving her the meds.
It's always nice to save money but I would not be guessing about this....
get her checked by your vet for blocked scent sacs....
call and ask if you can bring in a fresh stool sample.
The vet can check for worms and suggest the right treatment.

Let us know what you find out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't know what kind of worms she might have, or the correct dosage. I would take her in.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I'd take her to the Vet now, just to be sure.
I know my Gracie started dragging her butt on the carpet a couple of years ago.
I was 99.9% sure that she didn't have worms so I took her to the Vet, her glands were blocked.
Once the Vet opened them up, no more bum dragging.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Himmie usually does that when he gets poo stuck around his butt. Usually if he ate something that didn't agree with him and he has weird poo or something. I check their poo all the time and any vomit I might find for worms. If you have SEEN any worms then you can just treat them based on that. Tapeworms look like rice and roundworms look like spaghetti. If it has been a year you could always deworm them again as routine yearly thing, just in case. Mine get dewormed every year for round and tapes. Just make sure you are using the RIGHT dewormer from the vet or the pet store. There are a variety but you have to look for the correct ingredients. PM me if you would like me to explain this further. Dosages are right on the box or bottle.

But it could also be anal sacs that need to be expressed. Which is not something you want to put off.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take her in and let a professional help you with this...
better safe than sorry.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The one time Wally did that, it was when he had diarrhea due to a food change...he just had some poo stuck to his bum. As the vet put it, he was using the floor as toilet paper.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you really know what you are doing,
I would not worm my kitties on my own.
Many cats have been harmed by on overdose or a dose that was ineffective.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet worming treatment is much safer and more more effective than home worming treatments.

Did you get poop all over the carpet after she did it? If so, I would guess she had poop stuck to her bum - my kitties have had that before. If there was no poop though, I'd guess worms. If she does it again, make an appointment for the vet.

ETA: I'd also try to check around your cat's butt to see if you can see any worms.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, one of our cats had some poo stuck to his bum but rather than use the carpet, he decided to do the poo scoot on my bf's jacket right before he was due to go out to a meeting.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

The one time Wally did that, it was when he had diarrhea due to a food change...he just had some poo stuck to his bum. As the vet put it, he was using the floor as toilet paper.
Tonka is known to do that! He's long haired and uses my floor for TP

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey! Sorry, I forgot to updat ya'll.

I took Bestia to the vet and the vet said it was probably worms since there was nothing visibly wrong with her(except a red bum from rubbing on the carpet, lol). He gave her some of the liquid dewormer.So far so good, no more rubbing!