Tiny kitten

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped by the PetSmart near my home to visit with the kitties. When I walk in the front door, the head cashier, Maureen, is cuddling a tiny, buff and white kitten. The poor little fella was shaking. He had just been "purchased" by a young man who brought him into the store in a box lined with a towel and was there to get supplies.

This kitten was little. He thought maybe 5-6 weeks old. When do they get all their milk teeth? His eyes hadn't quite changed from blue to green.

I couldn't help it! I asked if I could hold him and immediately wrapped him in my jacket for warmth and security so he would stop shaking. The young man and his friends asked if we would watch him while they got supplies. "YOu won't steal him, will you?" he asked? I assured him that nothing would happen...

I said, after they walked away, this is too little to have been taken from Momma and sibs, but what can you do?

Once he got warm and secure he began to squirm and cry. I figured either food or potty. Opted for the first and said can I go get a can of kitten wet? (I purchased it of course)

So we fed him kitten wet thinned w/a tiny bit with water and oh man he gobbled it off my fingers!!!!!

When the guy came back, he was really surprised. "You fed him?" I said he was crying and it was either food or potty. I offered him the rest of the can, he said no, he had food. A couple of us also suggested he have some of the appropriate KMR for this baby, in case. HE said he did. Boy, that was a darling little baby! I hope he will be alright!!

Afterward, Maureen stopped me. She said, with a wink and a smile, "did you give the kitten back?" I said, boy I didn't want to. That's just too young and I am worried he will be ok. But of course, I didn't have a choice!

Sigh....

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Afterward, Maureen stopped me. She said, with a wink and a smile, "did you give the kitten back?" I said, boy I didn't want to. That's just too young and I am worried he will be ok. But of course, I didn't have a choice!

Sigh....
Wow, seeing how you were worried for the little kitten, you are a VERY honest person! Being you, I would be bitting my finger, wondering why I hadn't run away with the poor little thing (and thinking: "what could've happen anyways, it's not like I would see the guy again?!")...Ah, such a sad story, I hope he takes good care of that little fluffy ball of love. You did what you had to do, but that must have been hard!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh I wouldn't have given him back! I would a slapped a 50 down for the guy who bought him and took off like my butt was on fire!! It was nice of you to do the "right" thing, but my concious goes in streaks, I have one on each shoulder and its hard not to flick one off!
that the kitten is warm and full right now!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I would a slapped a 50 down for the guy who bought him and took off like my butt was on fire!!
Love the mental image

Poor dear, entirely too young to be separate. I can only wonder where it came from. And chances are there were siblings in the same boat. I would have been very hard to not just leave.... I pray that he understands what an undertaking that little one is. He can't just leave it be to grow up. They need feed so often and cleaned...

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little mite. Did it have any teeth? Blossom was 3 weeks old when my son found her & her teeth were just little knubs.

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted Cali from the animal shelter when she was tiny. The shelter said that she was 2 months old, but she didn't look like it. She was even too small to be fixed, she weighed only 1 pound 9 oz.. When we got home I called my best friend who has worked at a vets office for 15 years to come and see her. My friend said that she wasn't over 4 weeks old and had just opened her eyes. We took Cali to the vets the next day and the vet agreed with my friend about Calis age.

Cali became very sick after a few days of bringing her home. We took her to the vets 6 times within the first 4 weeks of having her. We didn't think she would survive because she was so tiny, weak and sick. My family and I nursed her around the clock for 6 weeks and she pulled through. Cali now is 8 months old and she is huge, happy and in PURfect health.
Although Cali was taken away from her mother and siblings too early, my family adopted another 3 month old kitten,Ripley, the same day we adopted Cali. Cali and Ripley became siblings that day and they are inseparable.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thezookeeper

We adopted Cali from the animal shelter when she was tiny. The shelter said that she was 2 months old, but she didn't look like it. She was even too small to be fixed, she weighed only 1 pound 9 oz.. When we got home I called my best friend who has worked at a vets office for 15 years to come and see her. My friend said that she wasn't over 4 weeks old and had just opened her eyes. We took Cali to the vets the next day and the vet agreed with my friend about Calis age.

Cali became very sick after a few days of bringing her home. We took her to the vets 6 times within the first 4 weeks of having her. We didn't think she would survive because she was so tiny, weak and sick. My family and I nursed her around the clock for 6 weeks and she pulled through. Cali now is 8 months old and she is huge, happy and in PURfect health.
Although Cali was taken away from her mother and siblings too early, my family adopted another 3 month old kitten,Ripley, the same day we adopted Cali. Cali and Ripley became siblings that day and they are inseparable.
It's a great story!

It's wonderful that you and your family gave a chance to a baby kitten whose life unfortunatly started on the wrong foot. Poor thing, separated so young of her mother and then getting sick... Imagine if someone else had bought Cali: if that person didn't know about kittens (or didn't care as much as you did), God know what would've happened to her...
This gives me hope that the tiny kitten Addibee was talking about might have ended in a family as loving and caring as yours. After all, there are cats lovers everywhere...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wanted to RUN OFF WITH THAT KITTEN!!!!! (I think Maureen did too!)

The guy seemed to be genuinely concerned about this little baby. He said he had kitten milk at home. I can only hope the lil guy will be fine, that he can go potty on his own. We did advise him to feed small, frequent meals.

I don't know if there were other animals in the house. He did say something about "the other kitten" so maybe there are two. That would be great.

The wee one, who he had already named Snoop, had his milk teeth (ouchie for my poor fingers!) I didn't look in his mouth to see if all of them had descended completely, etc.

Yes, there were littermates. The young man asked us how big he thought Snoop would get. We said, hard to tell at this age. I asked, how was he compared to his littermates and he said, about the same size. I ventured to guess that the babe would be average sized.

I also told him that this little buff colored kitten would likely get a little darker as he grew and the stripes would become more prominent. Baby already had a cute lil ring tail!

He seemed disappointed that the color might darken. I guess he wanted a cream or lt. buff color.

BTW - after Snoop ate, he seemed much more alert, curious and bright-eyed.

Sigh.....