DVD experts needed!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a VCR/DVD player that allows me to "dub" what is on a VHS tape onto a DVD. Well, I"ve tried it 3-4 times now. I play them back on my DVD to make sure it took, and I can watch the movies just fine. I sent them all to my siblings and they all said there is nothing on the DVD's, that they can't see anything........

What am I doing wrong?
Like I said, I can watch the DVD's in the player that I dubbed them on, but when I put the DVD into another DVD player, they won't work..............very very frustrating! Anyone have any suggestions on where I'm going wrong?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the age of their players. if their players don't accept DVD-R's (the recordables), then it won't show up. Most recent players do play everything, but many older ones do not. it would have said on the box the player came in. It might also say on the front of the player.

I have an older one and it won't play my DVD-R's... I'll upgrade eventually...

If their players say they can play DVD-R's, then I don't know... if you have another player in your house, that can play that type of disc, try it on there.

It's hard to keep up with all these darned advances...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even if it will play DVD -Rs, you probably have to "finalize" them for them to be read on a different DVD player. Look for it in the instruction book or the DVD player menu somewhere. That should do the trick.

Laurie

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As mentioned they would need a player that can play recorded DVD`s, however it will still depend on how the information was recorded onto disc, as in what kind of format ie.

MPEG Variations At a Glance
Disc Picture Standard Disc Type MPEG Type Dimensions Frame Rate (FPS) Video Bit-rate (Kbps) Audio Bit-rate (Kbps)
VCD NTSC CD
MPEG -1 320 x 240 29.97 1152
VCD PAL CD MPEG -1 352 x 288 25 1152 224
SVCD NTSC CD MPEG -2 480 x 480 29.97 2500 224
SVCD PAL CD MPEG -2 480 x 576 25 2500 224
DVD NTSC DVD MPEG -2 720 x 480 29.97 6000 224
DVD PAL DVD MPEG -2 720 x 576 25 6000 224

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some DVD players just can't read burned discs. It could be a number of problems either with the discs or the players. If the DVD's are multi-layered for example, it could be that their DVD players just can't read the different layers because in VCR/DVD combo players/burners, the discs usually aren't finalized automatically. This might cause the information to seem like it is all together and that might confuse the DVD player. So their DVD players might not know what to play so they might just say "error" or "no disc". If they have a computer with a DVD reader, they should be able to read it with no problems though.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Even if it will play DVD -Rs, you probably have to "finalize" them for them to be read on a different DVD player. Look for it in the instruction book or the DVD player menu somewhere. That should do the trick.

Laurie
Laurie's right. Wejust got a DVD/VHS recorder and the last thing we have to do is "finalize" it so it can be read on other DVDs and PCs. Read your manual and see if it has anything about finalizing the disc before you take it out.
-mare

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.......I'll check into it when I get home!

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest the same thing. I have a CD recorder and it will only play in the CD-r drive unless the disc is finalized.