Kitty in SC Needs a Home ASAP!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So our "newest addition" isn't going to work out right now. We brought her home from my coworker's house yesterday to do a "trial run" to see how things will go at our house, since we have 2 six month old kittens there already. They did the usual hissing and whatnot, but seemed to tolerate each other - no scratches or battle wounds. The problem is that we are getting married tomorrow and going to be gone A LOT over the next two to three weeks. We know that bringing in a cat requires work, and people being home and able to help it work out. Rob's family has come in from Colorado, and more family will be arriving from Maine, so the house is packed with people staying over for a week. We are going to be gone at a hotel from February 5 - February 14, then leave for our cruise on February 15 - 23. We're coming home at night to visit the family a few times at the end of the week, but other than that we'll be gone. We know that we can't just throw the new cat and all the responsibilities that come with introducing her to a new area on his parents. His mom would be willing to help out the week we were on the cruise, but this week with all the people staying over is bad timing. People will be sleeping in our bedroom while we're gone, which doubles as a "cat room" since our kittens' stuff is in there and we were keeping the new one in there last night. This was just a trial run to us, but I think my coworker expected it to just be a "good to go" right away thing. Monte & Katina are adjusted and have a routine, so they will be fine. They've been there since September. This cat just got yanked out of everything it ever knew.

I asked my coworker today if she could keep the cat at her new house for 2 more weeks, and then we'll be able to take her in and spend time doing what we have to do and harmonizing the cats. She won't do it, she said the owner of the house they rent will freak (even though she has a dog and strictly indoor cat there right now and he didn't want ANY pets to begin with...) and that she thinks the cat is going to get hit by a car in the course of 2 weeks living there. We're trying so hard to do something good for this cat, because she flat out told us that if we can't keep it, she's bringing her to the SPCA. Even today when I asked her if she could just hold off for 2 weeks so we can do everything right, she said she will pick it up tonight and bring it to the SPCA this week. It kills Rob & I ... we spent about an hour or more crying last night together and feeling really bad. He even told me that my heart is so big when it comes to helping cats, and that I care too much but he never wants me to change. He was blaming himself for this not working out right now because it's putting stress on us in addition to wedding-related stress, and I blamed myself also - if I never told her we would think about helping, we'd still be the same happy little family with 2 kittens living harmoniously and wouldnt be going through all this pain.

I feel kind of like a failure because we want to help and cant. With the wedding, the cruise, and building a house all at once, it's really hard to devote all our time RIGHT NOW. The cat is a wonderful cat. She took to us and his parents immediately. She hid in the closet most of yesterday, but she would come out and rub on us and let us pick her up and pet her. When I look into her eyes, I just see a cat who wants a forever home and someone to love her, which hurts us even more because it is about 2 weeks too soon for us to be those people who give her that home. We are so willing to try, but my coworker not helping us in return is making it impossible. This morning the three cats were standing on the stairs together behind Rob's dad - and the new one looked right at home.

If anyone in SC would be able to take in a lovely 1.5 year old female (needs to be spayed, would provide $30-60 towards spay - probably would cover it at a low-cost clinic), we would be forever grateful that she found a home. There aren't many people who can understand how upsetting it is to want to help and not be able to right now (by TWO weeks!) but I know if anyone understands, its you guys. My friend plans on picking the cat up from our house tonight and bringing her to the SPCA this week, probably tomorrow, unless we can rehome her somewhere.

Sorry so long, but we are aching for this cat to find someplace good. And we feel horrible because it cant be us even though we tried. We hope that no one here thinks we didn't.

Here is a link to a picture of her:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11...kittahs013.jpg

She was named Pocahontas, we were going to change her name, but never will get the chance.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you board her somewhere while you're away?

Or send out an emergency email to your wedding guests, saying the gift you most need is for someone to take in your new cat during your honeymoon. (Seriously. It's worth a try.)

Also, if the cats are already hanging out together, what is the problem exactly? As long as whoever stays there makes sure she (or your other cats) don't bolt due to all the strangers in the house with you not being there, it might be fine. Is there any chance pre-wedding stress is making you more worried about this than you need to be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

Can you board her somewhere while you're away?

Or send out an emergency email to your wedding guests, saying the gift you most need is for someone to take in your new cat during your honeymoon. (Seriously. It's worth a try.)

Also, if the cats are already hanging out together, what is the problem exactly? As long as whoever stays there makes sure she (or your other cats) don't bolt due to all the strangers in the house with you not being there, it might be fine.
They are still hissing and growling a lot at each other. We haven't seen them attack or anything, although Katina has been growling and attacking Monte after seeing the new cat. We dont know why the 3 of them were all sitting on the steps when we left for work - but they aren't friendly yet. We cant afford to board her somewhere for 2 weeks - we're building a house AND going on a cruise, plus we paid for everything in our wedding ourselves.

The only wedding guests we are having are people from Colorado, Maine, and New Jersey (other than my parents from NC, but they already have 3 cats at home). So everyone that has travelled won't be able to watch her while we're gone because they are leaving at the end of this week. She's also still learning where the litter boxes are (we have 3 in the house right now, since there are 3 cats. I made a "make-shift" one for her).

The other problem is that it is not OUR house, it's Rob's PARENTS' house. So if the cat uses the carpet instead of the litter box, his dad gets rather angry. Even if the two resident cats do it on occasion. We didn't consult them when we brought the cat home, but they accepted it because they're saps like us (to an extent, they DO have a cutoff!) But once everyone is gone at the end of the week, all the household members will be working all day again too. It's just a REALLY bad time for us to do this. We didn't tell my coworker we were DEFINITELY taking her right now, we said we'd do a "trial run" and get her acquainted, see the reactions, let her explore, see how she responds to people. Now she's telling me that the SPCA is the next stop, because she absolutely will not keep the cat for 2 weeks - even though it is HERS and she bottle fed it from a very small kitten.. I'd think they'd have a nice bond. (Shouldnt be surprised though, she dropped off 4 of this cat's kittens last year at the SPCA too, and never got her spayed). She only seems to care about her dog and it's crappy to watch someone not care about their other pets.

Thank you for the suggestions though. We just dont have anyone to take her or watch her, we cant afford to board her, and they aren't getting along well enough to just leave them be. I think it is unfair to the residents because Katina attacks Monte after seeing the new one, and then we'd just disappear after disrupting their routine.

As for the pre-wedding stress, I dont think it is making us worry more about it. Rob brought it up last night, and he said this doesn't feel right at all. We talked about it more, and we pointed out all the problems with the timing. She used our bed as a litter box last night, and I know it's probably because she's scared out of her wits. But we don't have the time to devote to every thing that needs to be done when bringing in a new cat to a house, especially one with 2 cats already. We'd love to keep her, we are HUGE cat lovers, we just want to scoop up all the SPCA cats when we stop by, but we just cant right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well kitty decided she didn't want to go to a shelter. She got outside at some point and was gone when the girl came back to get her. The cat came back once, then Monte hissed at her and she took off again. Now the cat is back outside the door. We are going to get her spayed and let her stay outside and feed her out there until post-cruise. Rob's mom is willing to help do that while we are gone, and when we get back we will go through the introduction process properly and see how things work out.

Plus, if we get her spayed and she decides not to come back, at least she won't be popping out kittens everywhere, contributing to the cat population problem. I will be making an appointment ASAP for that. She's used to being outside a lot so it wont be anything new or cruel. It's been in the 60s and 70s here during the day and 50s at night so it's not a freezing winter either.

I'm just surprised the girl never called to tell me that she didnt get the cat. Rob met his mom and grandparents for dinner and came to the car and told me "I have good news or bad news depending on how you take it" and said the cat had gotten out so the girl didn't take her. But then she came back twice now so we think she knows where the food is at, she's rubbing me like she was yesterday. I think she's telling us this is where she wants to call home.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww. Sounds like this will work out.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful wedding!!!!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brokenheart

Meanwhile, have a wonderful wedding!!!!!!

Sending lots & lots of prayers and vibes that all your plans go great - that you come home with a lifetime's worth of happy memories and that you all get to be a happy family