Hello world!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone!

My name is Linda, I'm from California, and I have recently adopted a beautiful little femle cat. (Other pets include a hermit crab, a bearded dragon, and two red eared sliders). Forgive me for the long post, but this is what brought me to the boards:

My cat's name is Nova. She is somewhere from 8-10 months old. I've had her for 7 weeks now. The first thing I did when I got her, was take her to the vet. She needed antibiotics for a respiratory infection, and I had her vaccinated. When I asked about how to tell whether or not she was spayed, I was told that there was no easy way to tell except to wait and see if she went in to estrous.

Three weeks later, it was time for her booster shots and I took her back to the vet. But I noticed that she had gained 1.5 lbs in a 3 week period and thought that she might be pregnant, but they could not confirm this at that time and told me to come back in another three weeks. They also told me that I could have her spayed if I wished. I did not have her spayed at this time because 1. I wasn't sure if she was pregnant or not, and therefore not sure if she was already spayed or not. They told me that it was possible that she had just gained weight because she was now eating regularly. and 2. I didn't have the heart to remove the fetuses if they were already growing inside her. (It was a difficult decision, because I'm aware of the overpopulation problem. I had one week to decide before the vet would refuse to spay, and I didn't really know which was the best option. I am not sure if I made the right decision- I just want my cat to be healthy, you know?)

So a week ago, I took her back to the vet. She had been restless and crying. Also, she had been throwing up about every other day, mostly undigested food. And she seemed to be having trouble urinating. I thought that maybe she was in heat. But the vet told me that my little Nova is pregnant. Her mammary glands are swollen and her nipples are quite pink. However, he told me that he was unable to make out any kittens by palpating her. He gave me "Cefa" drops and a hairball remedy.

In the last week, I've noticed small red globs in her stools (blood, maybe?), maybe 4 times. She has been pooping about 3 times per day, and she's thrown up less than the week before. I am not sure how far along she is, except that it must be at least 7 weeks because that's how long I've had her and she hasn't been allowed outside.

I don't see any signs of kittens moving inside her. At this point, I'm just waiting to see what develops. I'm keeping an eye on her habits and changes in habits. And I've set up a cardboard box with a blanket, just in case. I have had cats in the past, but they have been neutered males. So, this is a first for me and I'm quite nervous!

Phew! That was a novel. Kudos to you, if you made it all the way through!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Linda, welcome to TCS!

So glad you and Nova have joined our wonderful community of cat lovers.
I truly hope you enjoy your time here with us!

As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Has Nova ever had a stool sample checked?

That would be one of my first steps.

Might I also ask what you are feeding her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Welcome to TCS!

Has Nova ever had a stool sample checked?

That would be one of my first steps.

Might I also ask what you are feeding her?
Thank you for the welcome!

Nova has not had a stool sample checked. Are there specific tests I should ask for?

I am feeding her Purina Kitten Chow. Not sure if it counts, but she's also having "Veda Lax" as her hairball remedy.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Linda! Welcome to the Cat Site!

Sounds like Nova has been through a lot - hope shes doing better!

Look forward to seeing photos of her

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Might not hurt to check out a stool sample to rule out anything there. Just do a general one, check for intestinal parasites, etc.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! You've been through a lot in just the last few weeks!!! Sounds like she could most definitely be pregnant!!! There is a section on pregnant cat car if you go to the main forums page. You can post threads there and others with pregnant cats can help you out.

I would also go to a different vet, it sounds like your vet has been doing his job too long! I'm not sure why he would refuse to spay her after a certain time. Cats can be spayed/neutered at any age.

I hope you love it here!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I'm not sure why he would refuse to spay her after a certain time. Cats can be spayed/neutered at any age.
Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome!

In reference to the vet not wanting to spay her after a certain time, I think that was because he did not want to spay her too late into pregnancy. I will definitely have her spayed after she has kittens, and they no longer need to nurse. (I plan to spay and neuter the kittens too, I hope they come out healthy!)

I really wish I had come across these boards a few weeks ago! You all are so knowledgeable! I've posted about my pregnant kitty on the pregnancy board... I'm sorry for double-posting. I'll post things on the proper boards next time, honest!

I haven't figured out how to post pictures, but I have videos of Nova for my homepage. (They're on YouTube.)

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Linda
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your new kitty to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I hope that everything goes well for kitty and that her health issues are sorted soon

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
You'll really love this site - it is so informative and everyone is helpful and friendly

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!